• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by hora.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Ebay Woes
  • Skippy

I have sold something on ebay in the last few days, won’t go into the precise details but he has demanded a refund and he paid via paypal. His reasons are not valid, however I have never been in this position before and I’m not sure what will happen next. Has anyone ever been in this situation. I presue he will raise a dispute with paypal.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

How much was it for?

What were his “reasons”?

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I have had this happen to me. Mine was a phone that worked when I sent it and he was happy with it for 2 weeks, then it was “broke” (looks like he tried to “upgrade” it and cocked it up). Anyway I thought I had a very strong case (it worked when he got it and he left feedback) so raised a case on it. But I lost and had to send him the money back, it seemed to me that the buyer always wins. Good luck though

grumm
    Free Member

Judging by the experience of most ppl I know who use ebay a lot, he will probably win the dispute.

Skippy

He said the condition is not as described, I think the item is in good condition and was described as such with some scratches highlighted in the ebay ad. He claims scratches are worse than described. Never had problems before and I think I look after my stuff well so not at all happy. I still think the scratches are minimal for second hand mountain biking kit. I’m keeping details a bit vague just in case he is a user of this forum. That has really put me off ebay now, he has probably just changed his mind about wanting it.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Post the link up (or email it one of us for a second opinion)

Usually easier to refund and re-list.

My email is gordon(dot)harper(at)gmail(dot)com

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

You may as well offer to refund it if he returns it, make sure it’s the same one as you sent to him though because it’s not unheard of for someone to switch items and return a faulty one. If it goes to dispute with Paypal they almost always side with the buyer and insist on a full refund.

Skippy

Rockthreegozy, will send you an email with the picture of the item,

If I really have to relist the item just because the buyer has an unrealistic view then I think it makes ebay a bit of a joke, Pity as it is usually a good way to reach a wider audience, the problem is you don’t know who you are selling to.

I’m normally quite calm but not at the moment.

nukeproof
    Free Member

But I lost and had to send him the money back, it seemed to me that the buyer always wins.

Is it always the full amount that has to be refunded?

To me it would seem if the buyer doesn’t want it as they consider it ‘not as described’ the buyer should send it back and get their money back plus expenses, if they want to keep it but consider it ‘not as described’ then the buyer and seller should agree a price reduction. I don’t get this full refund business; if the buyer considers it ‘not as described’ then wins a dispute they get it free? What bollocks is that?

Skippy

What bollocks is that?

Precisely, they should have to give a damn good reason in my opinion and it should cost them or it is open to misuse, well maybe it already is as I am finding out.

Fishbone
    Free Member

Get them to send it back, refund them once you get your item back, then relist on ebay, next person whos buys it will probably be pleased with it. Don’t worry to much about it, there are some right pr**ks in this world, so don’t let it get you down.

Skippy

Fishbone – Cheers I think you are right.

DrP

I sold a broke camera on ebay, clearly identified as having an operating fault that was intermittent in nature. I used the words “this is sold as faulty”.
    The buyer wanted a refund because the problem was more intermittent than they thought it would be….!

I explained the camera was a faulty item, and no refund will be given!
    Fair enough if i’d said ‘it works fine most of the time’, but i didn’t!

Not heard anything back as yet!

DrP

tyke
    Free Member

Always a tough one. As previously stated the buyer normally wins these types of disputes via Paypal. I would ask him whether he would consider a discount to avoid the hassle of having to get the goods back and relisting.

If he wants a full refund – get him to return the item and give him a refund less the original P&P cost. If he was concerned about the extent of the scrtaches he should have asked for more detailed pics.

Whatsit
    Free Member

I had one tool who won an item and complained about the cost of postage after he received it, paypal sided with me as the postage costs were on the auction page and I hadn’t hidden anything.

We parted without leaving feedback which was too bad as I’d have loved to tell the world what a prk I thought he was.

Refund him less postage and relist the item.

richpips
    Free Member

I’ve sold a load of stuff on ebay recently, and have found that since the seller is unable to neg. the buyer, that some buyers do try and take the piss a bit. IME as a buyer and seller the buyer nearly always wins any paypal dispute.

Though at the end of the day it’s the only place to get top dollar for old tat, so I’ll live with the occasional noddy.

hora
    Free Member

Lesson- dont accept paypal. Ebay have stopped pulling auctions that said ‘I will not accept paypal no matter what’ 🙄

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Ebay Woes’ is closed to new replies.