Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Ebay selling question
  • bajsyckel

Like many people, I’m trying to take advantage of eBay lockdown frenzy to sell all manner of old tat prized retro golddust. I’ve had a few bids and ”best offers” on a BOB Yak trailer that I listed recently. I replied to one relatively local bidder that if they upped their bid I would add collection in person to the listing and accept an agreed amount. Now though he says he can’t make any best offer any longer, and I can’t see that it’s an option (i.e. the button) on the listing either. What’s going on? Is the option to make a best offer removed by eBay?

Also, if you do agree collection in person and they are paying paypal, what’s the best idea when they collect to prove they have then got the item and thus can’t claim back from paypal and hold onto the thing you were selling?

nickjb
    Free Member

No need to go through eBay now you are in contact and have agreed a price. There is no protection for sellers. Just get them to come and collect and pay cash. Cancel the listing. Definitely don’t take PayPal if they are collecting.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Best offer is the clue – I think eBay gives you a chance to come back to the buyer with a counter offer but I’m not sure the seller can stick another best offer in – that might be the issue, otherwise you jst end up with a string of ‘how about £10? How about £11, how about £12’ etc.

If you commnicated with the buyer using ebay then eBay may not be too happy you cancelling the auction if its obvious you’ve made a deal – its outside their terms and they may take their fees anyway. Might get away with it though.

Photo of the buyer and you/the goods might be enough if they still want to go the paypal route – cash effectively removes their buyer protection so its more of a risk from their side dont forget.

CraigW
    Free Member

For auctions, you can allow best offers before any bids are placed. But as soon as someone bids, the best offer option will disappear.

bajsyckel

Aha- i see, so that’s why it disappeared, once bids placed it disappears. Well thanks for the info CraigW. Poor guy, I was happy with what he offered but before I accepted other people put bids in and now it’s above his offer anyway. Looks like I’ll just keep the auction rolling and let things take their course… Thanks one and all.

kerley
    Free Member

If you commnicated with the buyer using ebay then eBay may not be too happy you cancelling the auction if its obvious you’ve made a deal – its outside their terms and they may take their fees anyway.

Yep, and rightly so. They will either takes their fees, give you a warning or ban you. When you end a listing any communication mails are checked and if it is obvious you have arranged a pickup you will be contacted.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Ebay selling question’ is closed to new replies.