Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Ebay- Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon on "Tesco Outlet" WTF????
  • DanW
    Free Member

New Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon on ebay for £1200 Buy In Now…

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SANTA-CRUZ-BLUR-XC-CARBON-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-XT-ROCK-SHOX-MD-/350715709400?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item51a84907d8&_uhb=1

This looks decidedly dodgy obviously.

#1 How would the genuine Tesco come in to possession of a new MTB worth several thousand pounds?
    #2 How can this user trade using the Tesco name (as it looks highly doubtful this is the real supermarket)?
    #3 The contact address goes to a non-descript industrial estate in Swansea and Street View doesn’t suggest there is anywhere where a “tesco Outlet” may be located

What is the deal with all of this? Apparently over 170,000 customers which is confusing if indeed shady.

It looks as though someone has hacked the genuine Tesco account to try and divert funds to an unrelated (fake) email with the buy it now price…

Oh how I would love this bike for those pennies but with experience- if it looks and feels to good to be true then it probably is!!!

fbk
    Free Member

Staff member selling under the name? Could be dodgy but surely no-one stealing an eBay ID is stupid enough to use one like that?

iamsporticus
    Free Member

That looks hookier than a hooky thing on St Hookies day during the festival of hooky

Dont bid on ebay – mail them instead, oh right 🙂

richpips
    Free Member

Scam for sure. Avoid, or outbid me. 🙂

DanW
    Free Member

I think Tesco might like to know their account has been hacked (assuming the Tesco account is actually genuine)…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Looking at other items sold it does look like a genuine tesco store. However the mode of selling on this particular ad, the email this gmail address thing, is not like any of the other stuff they sell. I reckon someone dodgy has managed to sneak this on.

richpips
    Free Member

I think Tesco might like to know their account has been hacked

Already reported.

If the scammer had put a bit more effort in, it would have been much harder to spot. The rest of the listings (other than the fancy bikes) appear to be real.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Googled the email, few scams pop up

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm just spotted the white trainer in the bottom corner of the photo… definitely dodgy!

shotsaway
    Free Member

I think Tesco might like to know their account has been hacked (assuming the Tesco account is actually genuine)…

Looking at the other items for sale, it looks like the genuine Tesco’s.

I guessing someone has hacked their account, placed the ad and will scam someone.

fbk
    Free Member

Hmm on the phone so only just read the description. It would appear someone would be that stupid! Equally, no one is really stupid enough to follow the email and “by it now” are they……… really?…

shotsaway
    Free Member

The genuine contact listing in the business details section shows a different email address

Business seller information
    Tesco Outlet
    Field of Dreams
    Olympus Court,
    Swansea Vale
    Swansea
    SA7 0AQ
    United Kingdom

Phone:01792 761820
    Email:theteam@tesco-outlet.co.uk
    VAT number: GB 220430231

pacerc100
    Free Member

I have seen a few very similar ads recently for S-work bikes both road and mtb. They seem to get removed very quickly presumably by ebay. The body of the ad always looks the same or very similar so beware.

shotsaway
    Free Member

And others

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intense-951-FRO-DH-bike-/290863311027?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item43b8cde8b3

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-SPECIALIZED-S-WORKS-STUMPJUMPER-CARBON-29er-LARGE-/290863311088?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item43b8cde8f0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moots-Mooto-XZ-29er-Titanium-Mountain-Bike-/400413209909?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item5d3a7cb535

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COLNAGO-50th-ANNIVERSARY-/290863311006?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item43b8cde89e

Love the description on the Moots

This bicycle was built in June of 2010. I am only selling because I am getting a pro-deal ?team bike? from my sponsor. I would say that this Moots ?dream bike? is best suited to someone 5?10? or larger! The suspension is ideal for a heavier, X games aggressive rider. ll be happy to answer any and all questions about this bicycle and also ?show? the bicycle locally, if you happen to be in Ottawa

ampthill

Weird so did they buy some bankrupt stock?

Why do you have to e-mail. Why not just put a buy it now price. Is it so they can vet the buyer?

nigelb001
    Free Member

Weird so did they buy some bankrupt stock?

Why do you have to e-mail. Why not just put a buy it now price. Is it so they can vet the buyer?

No, definately scammer, they have been hacked. 🙁

fatalbert
    Free Member

Just asked. Seller if I will get my club card points 😀

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Emailed him to ask about how to buy at 1200 quid
    Interested in if he’ll sell to me now I’m the highest bidder on eBay at 1220

lightman
    Free Member

These scammers have been at it for ages, and they always hack shops with lots of items for sale as they are less likely to notice it.
    After you report them, ebay dont take long to remove them.

teamslug
    Free Member

They have sold on ebay before.I recognise the e mail address. I was looking for a cannondale flash and he had one for £1500.00. I think i managed to trace his postcode to a bungalow in gloucester or shropshire. Was very very cagey about it. He had several bikes advertised. All were pulled at same time.

martinhurton
    Free Member

Use the report listing button and let ebay know. I have (breaching payment terms).

I do this quite a lot if something looks dodgy, it usually gets removed within a day.

Weasel
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-SPECIALIZED-S-WORKS-STUMPJUMPER-CARBON-29er-LARGE-/290863311088?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item43b8cde8f0

Current bids are at 89 grand????…can we do deal with Paypal gift to avoid the charges?

extremenik
    Free Member

I know someone who fell for this on another product- only his cost him 4k.

Once you email them as requested you are asked to pay by banks transfer, a very official looking ebay invoice comes through your email. When I advised my friend to contact them by phone a mail came back saying they had recently had a throut operation so couldn’t speak.

It was my friends first and last encounter on Ebay! Once I realised he had paid by Bank Transfer I googled the adress to find I t was a hire shop in Scotland- who had never heard of him.

The Police and bank were contacted and the account was set up in Cambridge but had been shut down once they had received his money and neithe the P olice or Bank took it any further.

I have over 400 transactions and believe if its too good to be true it often is!

richpips
    Free Member

Email just in

MC015 Security notice: eBay listing removed

The listing was removed because the item appears to have been listed without the account holder’s permission. At this time, we’re restoring the account to its original owner.

DanW
    Free Member

That’s good richpips, I also reported all of these items. I had not seen scammers selling through well established shops before so it is a good eye opener.

The thing that always gets me though is how the scammer get so much right (like using the trusted Tesco Outlet as a cover which must have taken a fair bit of doing to hack the account) but then make so little effort elsewhere. A bit better grammar, a background in the traditional Tesco colours and an email like tesco-outlet@gmail.com would have been hard to spot…

honourablegeorge

shotsaway – Member
    The genuine contact listing in the business details section shows a different email address

Business seller information
    Tesco Outlet
    Field of Dreams
    Olympus Court,
    Swansea Vale
    Swansea
    SA7 0AQ
    United Kingdom
    Phone:01792 761820
    Email:theteam@tesco-outlet.co.uk
    VAT number: GB 220430231

“If we build it, they will come”

edlong
    Free Member

I’ve had this happen to my eBay account – logged in one day to find lots of questions about “the car”, had a look and I was apparently selling a rather nice looking Porsche 911 for a bargain price.

No idea how they got my account, no evidence of malware or anything on my computers, eBay password not common with any other accounts I have, not been phished, still a total mystery. Got the listing pulled, changed my password and not had any probs since (a good few years now). I’d love to know how it happened.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Ebay- Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon on "Tesco Outlet" WTF????’ is closed to new replies.