Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • eBay price gouging
  • Flaperon

Not other eBay sellers but me. I’m flogging my Wahoo ELEMNT at eBay’s suggested price, and in the last two days alone have received three messages accusing me of “taking advantage*” of the fact that they’re out of stock everywhere.

One guy bought it and immediately cancelled the order, which means you have to relist from scratch and lose all the people watching it.

* they’d be right actually but besides the point

timmys

Why would you not do it as an auction? You’re not “taking advantage” as the market determines the price it sells for…which would probably be more than you dare ask for it anyway!

Flaperon

I used to do auctions but got tired of the string of “wots ur lowest pryce?” messages trying to get me to sell off eBay. Buy It Now means they can make sensible offers and have to pay immediately too.

P-Jay
    Free Member

It’s your right to sell anything you own at any price you want and obviously someone it prepared to pay. Just ignore people who moan about it, they can either pay what’s available to buy, or wait until supply returns – no one ‘needs’ a Wahoo ELEMNT.

If you relist something, everyone who was watching it gets a notification that it’s been relisted, it’s annoying when people cancel though.

martinhutch

Imagine the idea of supply and demand actually influencing the price of a luxury item in a free market economy. It’s a fancy cycle computer, not a month’s supply of insulin.

Jakester
    Free Member

Buy It Now means they can make sensible offers and have to pay immediately too.

Sadly not if it’s a Best Offer, as I recently found out to my cost. Sold a item for £1,500, expecting immediate payment as that was what I’d stipulated on the BIN settings. Apparently immediate payment doesn’t work for offers, buyer never paid, lost the sale and use of £1 FVF too. Total waste of time.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I used to do auctions but got tired of the string of “wots ur lowest pryce?” messages trying to get me to sell off eBay. Buy It Now means they can make sensible offers and have to pay immediately too.

IME the people who do that are the same people who’ll want a partial refund for it not being “as described” or otherwise dick about or cause you trouble. I simply reply “as stated” to avoid eBay getting pissy for not replying to messages.

Frankly though, I gave up on eBay a few years ago, it’s more trouble than it’s worth.

stumpy01

Amazing!! I am sure some people think the only reason other people sell things on ebay is so they can grab a bargain!
    Crazy that someone would message you to tell you they think you are taking advantage of a shortage.

So what if you are?! If it’s not worth the asking price, it won’t sell. If someone wants to buy it, happy days.
    I have got an old ‘dumb’ turbo trainer & a Tacx Flow smart trainer to put on ebay. Stories like this really put me off bothering though. Just the thought of all the “Wuld U seLl for £10? Can kollect in 5mins” messages puts me off.

petrieboy

I’ve had 2 listing recently where the winning bidder was clearly a stolen account. 1st was a Garmin Fenix, winning bidder wanted it posting to Russia, buyer location according to ebay was USA. Was able to cancel the sale but it put me off resisting.
    2nd was a Tanita scales won by someone in Portugal with a buyer location of USA
    In both cases they were listed as no international postage so it’s very frustrating

No idea what would have happened if I hadn’t pulled the sales – but I guess I would have lost out

martinhutch

I simply reply “as stated” to avoid eBay getting pissy for not replying to messages.

Did realise you had to reply to everyone – I had someone wanting to send a courier for a car and pay via paypal when it was clearly cash on collection, so I just blocked him from bidding and carried on rather than get into a conversation.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Did realise you had to reply to everyone – I had someone wanting to send a courier for a car and pay via paypal when it was clearly cash on collection, so I just blocked him from bidding and carried on rather than get into a conversation.

I don’t know if you HAVE to reply to every message, however crackers, but they sent me a moany message a few years back for not doing so, and I think it’s one of the things that can trigger ‘held’ payments.

onehundredthidiot

Annoying isn’t it. I sold a turbo trainer a while ago and I’ll admit it went for silly money considering it was listed as noisy (something that happens to that trainer as it ages). A few days later i noticed that the same turbo was available from various outlets at a wee bit less than mine sold for. Suddenly got an aggressive “unusable” “noisy” “not as advertised” notification and had to refund forked out for postage too.
    Bloke that bought it two days after i got it back and picked it up very happy with it.

monkeyboyjc

As long as the bin price is for something that’s out of stock and still lower than the brand new rrp I can’t see any issue.

Can’t stand it when sellers bin price their 2nd hand stuff for more than the same item that’s still in-stock new at reputable web retailers. Chancing the some one will miss read that it’s used rather than new.

b230ftw
    Free Member

Sadly not if it’s a Best Offer, as I recently found out to my cost. Sold a item for £1,500, expecting immediate payment as that was what I’d stipulated on the BIN settings. Apparently immediate payment doesn’t work for offers, buyer never paid, lost the sale and use of £1 FVF too. Total waste of time.

Contact eBay, same thing happened to me and it resold with a big final value fee. I contacted eBay and explained what happened and they refunded the whole fee so it was the same as paying £1 on the offer.

I’ve found them to be excellent recently in resolving issues like this.

doris5000

That reminds me. I once bid on a synth, put my highest bid as like £700, and it was currently at £450.

Some point later, a very high bid came in. My £700 bid had been activated, the bidding was now at £720, and I was out of the running.

Then the high bidder cancelled their bid at the last minute, and I won with £700.

It struck me that this would be a simple way for a seller to ensure they got the highest amount they could out of me. Did I get scammed?

sharkattack

I haven’t used eBay for years. Does it ever run smoothly or is it always a load of grief?

I’ve got some stuff I want to shift and I think eBay would be the best place for it but I’ve always imagined it’s more hassle than it’s worth. I’d be looking to run an auction for small but expensive stuff. Canon camera gear, brand new Garmin etc.

I was thinking of advertising my van among other things. It’s on Facebook marketplace but it’s had 40 views in 4 days. Maybe I’m being penalised for not paying to ‘boost listing’.

falkirk-mark

That reminds me. I once bid on a synth, put my highest bid as like £700, and it was currently at £450.

Some point later, a very high bid came in. My £700 bid had been activated, the bidding was now at £720, and I was out of the running.

Then the high bidder cancelled their bid at the last minute, and I won with £700.

I got that once on a bike frame, 5 mins after listing ended he messaged me saying winner didn’t want it and I could have it as I was second highest, he got all salty with me when I said I didn’t (frame was IMO worth the cash but not a huge bargain I just didn’t like the fact that I thought I had been bid up by his mate)

nickjb
    Free Member

Does it ever run smoothly or is it always a load of grief?

It almost always runs smoothly you just hear about the problems

Jakester
    Free Member

Contact eBay, same thing happened to me and it resold with a big final value fee. I contacted eBay and explained what happened and they refunded the whole fee so it was the same as paying £1 on the offer.

Interesting, thanks – probably too late now but worth thinking about for the future.

Flaperon

It almost always runs smoothly you just hear about the problems

In general I’ve never had a problem as a buyer or a seller.

Just discovered though that as a seller if you refund a buyer (even if they’re the one that requested a cancellation), you have to pay the non-refundable transaction fees of 5%.

b33k34

I haven’t used eBay for years. Does it ever run smoothly or is it always a load of grief?

I’ve got some stuff I want to shift and I think eBay would be the best place for it but I’ve always imagined it’s more hassle than it’s worth

eBay tells me I’ve sold 393 items over the years. That ranges from things that I let go for £1 plus postage so something gets used again rather than thrown away to £1500 bike frames or a few hundred for cameras or mobile phones. If it’s something that sells frequently (ie theres at least one selling every week) it goes on as an auction starting at £1. It will sell and find it’s market price. Cut and paste reply to anyone asking to end an auction early (or ask them for x£ above best price the item has sold for to end and ship early)

If it’s more unusual for some reason it goes on at fixed price and sits there (sometimes for a year or more, usually accepting offers). I just got £25 for an old RS Pike air shaft that I took out of a new fork 2 years ago?

I’ve never had any trouble – always use PayPal and happy to pay Ebay and PayPal fees for the service. A few non payers but that’s par for the course. I’ve had a few ‘not as described’ but all solved amicably. If it’s someone taking the piss asking them to return it usually sees them go quiet. It sounds like there are some clever scams that are hard to avoid – buyer sending back an empty box signed for delivery, or returning a broken version of what you sent them – but maybe I’ve been lucky.

b33k34

Just discovered though that as a seller if you refund a buyer (even if they’re the one that requested a cancellation), you have to pay the non-refundable transaction fees of 5%.

that’s new isn’t it? never had that

Flaperon

Yes, it came as a surprise to me as well. Guessing it’s to do with the recent shift to in-house payment processing. It’s not mentioned anywhere in the help pages but confirmed by the person I spoke to on the web-chat.

The charge shows up in the transaction history but with no invoice or explanation attached to it. If you don’t have alerts for payments on your card turned on then the first you’ll know about it is if you read your credit card statement.

Probably worth bearing in mind if you sell a laptop or something.

maccruiskeen

It struck me that this would be a simple way for a seller to ensure they got the highest amount they could out of me. Did I get scammed?

Yes and no

You can use a shill bidder (probably the seller with another login in) to drive up the auction price and ascertain peoples maximum bid. So yes in that sense its a scam and against eBay’s rules and strictly speaking its fraud- ‘the offence of dishonestly making a false representation with the intent to make a gain or to cause loss to another’ but I’d be very surprised if anyone has been charged or prosecuted for Shill Bidding on eBay. But have you been scammed in the sense of being tricked out of money?  the worst that has happened is you’d paid the amount you were prepared to pay anyway so its difficult to say harm has been done.

Some point later, a very high bid came in.

You wouldn’t know if it was a £1m or £710 just as nobody knew whether you’d bit £450 or £700 until they used a shill bid to reveal it

Dickyboy

I’ve got feedback of nearly 800, so probably 1000+ transactions over 20? years and I recon on about 1% of crap deals, either as buyer or seller, but as above only list things to sell as buy it now on £1 weekends otherwise the fees just feel like I’m being taken for a ride.

funkmasterp

I’ve never had any issues with buying or selling on eBay. Quite the opposite in fact. Last purchase was a Frog bike for Funk Jr and the seller sent a new crankset and mudguards bought directly from Frog as he’d not mentioned the chain guard was cracked. Always had cordial, bordering on pleasant interactions with buyers and sellers. Where am I going wrong?

Gumtree on the other hand is full of mad people who can’t spell properly and think anything can be swapped for something else that’s worth one tenth of the value of the thing being sold. Randomly I always used to get offered fishing gear as a swap for anything I tried to sell on there.

finephilly
    Free Member

I reckon buying from eBay is better than selling.

dyna-ti

Everyone who contacts you with a whine you take their id and add it to blocked buyer list. Same goes for the mysterious canceller.

Cougar

Things are worth what people are prepared to pay.

In a corner shop: “£1.50 for a pint of milk? It’s only £1 in Tesco!”

Go to Tesco then.

“But it’s on the other side of town!”

Then that’ll be one pound fifty.

Cougar

You could potentially have been shill bid. But you set the price you’d be prepared to pay, if you weren’t prepared to pay it then that’s on you. You got an item that you clearly thought was worth the price you paid.

falkirk-mark

You could potentially have been shill bid. But you set the price you’d be prepared to pay, if you weren’t prepared to pay it then that’s on you. You got an item that you clearly thought was worth the price you paid.

Not really if he had bid 550 then the other bidder bid him up to 700 then what price should he pay (he would have won the item at 550 if it wasn’t for the highest/shill bidder so should he pay 550 or 700 for the item) I bailed on my item because I thought I was shill bidded and did not want to deal with someone untrustworthy.Also once the highest bidder has ‘won’ the item there is no obligation on the second highest to buy.

Cougar

If he didn’t think it was worth that price then he shouldn’t have bid that high in the first place. That’s the whole point of a maximum bid.

Turning that around: if you submit a max bid of £700 because that’s what you think it’s worth and it sells for £550, has the seller not been ripped off to the tune of £150?

You’re trying to game the system and taking the hump when you’re being gamed right back.

falkirk-mark

Turning that around: if you submit a max bid of £700 because that’s what you think it’s worth and it sells for £550, has the seller not been ripped off to the tune of £150?

Absolutely not,on Ebay if I bid at £550 and submit my max bid at £700 the item stays at £550 until say bidder ABC bids £5 more than me then my bid will increase, bidder ABC continues to do this until £705 pounds is reached at the end of the sale (the item is now his and I can buy another frame etc). 5 minutes after auction ends the seller says to me the high bidder does not want the frame (what price was ABC willing to actually pay ?)By the time this happens I have a bad taste in my mouth as it looks like I have been bid up probably by the frame owner(the whole point of the bid is you pay what it is worth if the seller wanted minimum of £650 he should have started the bidding there) so the whole point of Ebay is trust and if I feel I have been bid up on an item then the trust has gone and I do not want to deal with that seller. On the other hand if I had won the frame at £700 I would have taken it it is just the fact that it went a little bit past my max bid then suddenly the winner doesn’t want it (by which time I suspect I am being had)I think when you look at it this way it is me that is initially being gamed

Fantombiker

As a seller When eBay works it’s great. The problem that has driven me away from it is the constant non-payers that just waste time and money. eBay doesn’t seem to do anything about them. CBA anymore with listing re-listing, hoping not to get scammed etc

grum
    Free Member

I don’t see anything wrong with the OP but it does annoy me when people buy up things like, for instance popular LIDL specials on tools or whatever, then stick them straight on eBay with a big markup. Was the same with ooni pizza ovens last summer. I dunno why it annoys me so much, I think it just seems a very parasitic way of making money.

b33k34

Absolutely not,on Ebay if I bid at £550 and submit my max bid at £700 the item stays at £550 until say bidder ABC bids £5 more than me then my bid will increase, bidder ABC continues to do this until £705 pounds is reached at the end of the sale

of course the way to deal with this would be for the ‘next highest bideder’ offer to be at the price if all of the highest bidders bits were removed.

id if you were at 550 and the ‘shill bidder’ bid you up to your maximum of 700, if they dropped out then the price you would be offered at would be 550, not 695. I can’t remember whether that’s the way it works or not.

Jakester
    Free Member

I’ve never had any issues with buying or selling on eBay. Quite the opposite in fact.

I do think it depends on the particular market you’re selling in – for example, most of my buying and selling has been musical instruments, and generally the buyers and sellers know what something is worth and what the condition description means, so (on the whole) there’s few problems. My recent experience was the exception, rather than the rule.

What I didn’t get was that the “buyer” made the offer to buy – not like ‘inadvertently’ winning an auction, but he made the conscious choice to make an offer at that exact amount and then ignored all contact thereafter. I would have been less annoyed if he’d just said “sorry, made a mistake” but the whole thing was bizarre. It wasn’t too far away so I was half-tempted to turn up at his house to ask what was going on, since we were talking £1,500. That aside, it’s been largely fine.

On the other hand, selling a used mobile phone – blimey, that was like a whole different world. So much illiteracy, so many blagging attempts (“wats ur best price m8”, “wood u take a PS2” etc).

IME bikes fall somewhere in between – at the lower end there’s quite a lot of chancers, but there’s also a lot of knowledgeable people with products that have been looked after. A relatively recent highlight was the bike I bought for my son, which was basically a NOS Kona – hardly used, came with all the manuals, tools, tags etc, for a cracking price and which is doing sterling service now. Seller was a delight to deal with.

monkeyboyjc

Silly pricing doesn’t seem restricted to eBay, someone posted a force axs rear mech on a popular FB selling page for £399 this morning – these are still available for £240 from shops….

finbar
    Free Member

I do think it depends on the particular market you’re selling in – for example, most of my buying and selling has been musical instruments, and generally the buyers and sellers know what something is worth and what the condition description means, so (on the whole) there’s few problems. My recent experience was the exception, rather than the rule.

Completely agree, including that bike stuff (at least, nice bike stuff) generally falls on the right side of this line.

My worst experiences on eBay have all been when selling clothes or trainers.

sharkattack

I think you lot have convinced me to have a go at auctioning some stuff. Which leads me to my next question.

What’s the best courier for small expensive stuff like Canon cameras and lenses? I used to just queue up in the Post Office and pay whatever they suggested but now the price has shot up and there’s lot of other options.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘eBay price gouging’ is closed to new replies.