Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • ebay paypal nonsense
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Just sold 5 items on ebay.

3 items paid for already (yay)

3rd payment made is “on hold” for 21 days. I can see the payment showing in my paypal, but I cant access it until the 27th Aug? So they just hold on to the cash, and then pay it to me when they feel like it? So eBay gets a fee, Paypal gets a fee, and Paypal also accrues interest on payments held for 21 days??

kerley
    Free Member

All depends why it is on hold, phone Paypal and find out.

mashr

Not a huge issue though? As you don’t post the item until you actually have the cash available to you. The buyer can see this too

kerley
    Free Member

Unless it was pay after delivery but guessing that is not an option when not selling as a company?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Nope. Apparently it’s because I’ve not sold things for a while and it’s a “safety feature”.

I just wondered if there was a chance I could mail the items and the payments cancelled by the buyer, that’s what I was worried about. All the buyer sees is payment made (I just asked).

The 4th item has just been paid for and this has gone into “hold” too, so I expect the 5th and final payment I’m expecting will go the same way.

Still smacks of PayPal holding on to cash in their account to accrue a bit of interest – imagine how many times a day they do this, for 21 days each payment. Skanky ****.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

accrue a bit of interest

At current rates? Don’t make me laarf.

imagine how many times a day they do this, for 21 days each payment. Skanky ***

Imagine how many people get paid, withdraw the funds then never post anything leaving PayPal and ebay to foot the bill. Skanking ******

tdog
    Free Member

Welcome to the dubious world of third party electronic monies transfer systems.

& yes PP are skanky plebs

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Imagine how many people get paid, withdraw the funds then never post anything leaving PayPal and ebay to foot the bill. Skanking ******

Not many with 300 plus purchases and 100% rating. I’d have though those that did it got caught pretty early in their fraud careers.

zilog6128

Not many with 300 plus purchases and 100% rating. I’d have though those that did it got caught pretty early in their fraud careers.

I’d imagine a dormant account being compromised so the fraudsters look legit IS pretty common though. You’d expect exactly the same from your CC company if you didn’t use a card for ages, then suddenly made loads of purchases!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’ve sold a few grand of camera gear over the last few weeks.
    I don’t sell much on ebay and when the payment is made ebay asks Paypal to put a freeze on it.
    Usually as soon as the tracking number says it has been delivered the money is unfrozen by Ebay and PayPal make it available..

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Not many with 300 plus purchases and 100% rating. I’d have though those that did it got caught pretty early in their fraud careers

As zilog and also creating lots of accounts selling non existent stuff to fake buyers to create masses of positive feedback/reviews is fairly common, the accounts sit dormant for a while whilst they “use up” the list of sellers. Then they list put a few expensive (or loads of cheap) things on at the same time, wait for payment and “poof” gone. Next fake seller and repeat.

It’s much less common on ebay now because of things like freezing funds.

If you’ve listed nothing for a while then suddenly a few things all at once you’ll look suspicious frankly.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

a dormant account being compromised

Maybe, but I buy things off ebay fairly often so dormant isn’t a word I’d use tbf.

kerley
    Free Member

If you’ve listed nothing for a while then suddenly a few things all at once you’ll look suspicious frankly.

Yep. Tell us your eBay name so we can make sure we don’t buy any of your dodgy stuff.

singlespeedstu

I had this with a couple of items the other day.
    The funds were available the day after the items were delivered.

ogri
    Free Member

This happened to me selling a couple of items after a fair old break from ebay.I thought the reason was that one of the items had “Spyderco” in the title and so concerned ebay about the link with knives.I was informed there was a two week freeze or so on the money and it subsequently went through on the date promised.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Apparently the “funds will be released” at the end of the month, or after delivery.

Now, I’ve uploaded the tracking numbers to ebay. Nobody asked for insured deliveries and I didn’t offer it one item is going to Germany. One to Sweden. One to Kazakhstan.

From Australia.

So it’s nothing to do with a dormant account… As I’ve been using it to buy things. What am I supposed to do if the parcels don’t arrive, does ebay just nick my money? I have zero control over delivery once it’s handed over to the post office. Looks like I’ll be sticking to marketplace and scumtree from now on.

oldtennisshoes

Nobody asked for insured deliveries and I didn’t offer it one item is going to Germany. One to Sweden. One to Kazakhstan.

😳

Nobody asked because they are going to get a refund from PayPal you whether it turns up or not.
    You did post them using eBay’s global shipping programme didn’t you?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Each item sold has “seller protection” whatever that is…?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘ebay paypal nonsense’ is closed to new replies.