Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • eBay, ok…how am I about to be scammed?
  • neilnevill
    Free Member

I am bidding on an item and was the highest bidder this morning. Just before noon I got outbid by 20 quid or so by a bidder that had placed the first tiny bid days ago, and nothing since. then a few hours later, and JUST before the final 24 hours start that bid is retracted, leaving me as the high bidder again.

I’m fairly sure there’s a bit of foul play at work here so I’m after some advice. What exactly is the likely scam? I’m guessing the other bidder is related tothe seller and having bid above me they now know exactly what my maximum bid is. I suppose I should expect a bid a penny or 2 below that to come in a little before the auction ends tomorrow, if I haven’t been outbid already? So, what do I do? swallow it and say ‘I was prepared to pay what I bid, so pay it’. Report it somehow to ebay? something else?
    ta

Jamie
    Free Member

if you are happy to pay what you bid, then leave it.

If you’re not, or just feeling hacked off about people being w**kers, then report the activity to eBay and get them to cancel the auction/retract your bids.

To be honest, non-paying buyers is par for the course. So even if you let it run and decide you’re not happy, just don’t pay the dude. Tell ’em your dog put the bid on without you knowing.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Don’t pay if that happens and make an offer of your highest bid pre abuse. Penalties for non paying bidder are non existent so if the don’t like it they can eat it. If they relist put in lower bid and snipe it.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Do only some retracted bids get shown on the history? The bid history is missing at least one other bid, beside the retracted one I was notified of. I say the item fairly early in its listing and bid a sensible amount, but got outbid a day or so later. Oddly for me, I went back and increased my offer, although only £15 or so, and returned to being the highest bidder by just a few pence. Looking at the bid history that other bid that should sit between my 2 isn’t shown. The more I thinkn about this, the more I think I’m about to be fleeced.

Cougar

I think you answered your own question – they were scooping out your maximum bid. Personally I’d cancel my bid and walk away, your could rebid with your earlier price as max but do you really want to deal with them?

neilnevill
    Free Member

Nope I don’t really. especialy as Only a month ago I got stiffed for nearly £200 when RM lost an item I’d won, and getting that money refunded was a PITA. This seller is abroad, finland, so any similar dealings would be double PITA.

okay, how do I report to ebay? I can’t just cancel my bid can I? its in the last 24 hours now.

convert

What the hell are you doing biding before the last 60 seconds of the auction? Even if you don’t get stung by a shill, you will still end up paying more as your bid is there to get shot down. Bid once and bid late. If you are not free to do it manually, do it with a snipe.

gogg
    Free Member

Retract your bid and use sniping software to put a last minute bid in lower than your current bid.

If they retract, it usually removes all their bids, but only leaves details of their last (highest) showing as retracted.

neilnevill
    Free Member

oh hello…just had a new bid form someone else, suspiciously its £1 beneath my original bid. this smells fishier by the second!

Jamie
    Free Member

I can’t just cancel my bid can I? its in the last 24 hours now.

Last 12 hours if I remember right:

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?RetractBidShow

neilnevill
    Free Member

run away! Run away! I’ve head for the hills. bid retracted, whihc automatically removed both. What’s Finnish for ‘Good bye and Good Luck! Mother ****er!’ 😀 😈

cheers for the advice ‘Hive mind’ I couldn’t be doing with another month of wrangling to get my £200 back.. WTF is it with Marcello wathces!!! (the last item that RM lost was an identical watch

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘eBay, ok…how am I about to be scammed?’ is closed to new replies.