Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • eBay nonsense
  • g5604
    Free Member

Sold a frame for £200, collection only and no returns. A buyer paid for it immediately and then arranged for courier to send it to Germany, not London.

Now he wants to return it and eBay has taken £30 to send it back to me! Is this legal, what can I do?

scaredypants

dunno

why is he returning it ?

lerk
    Free Member

Be thankful that he didn’t just file an INR dispute…

Expect a different previously broken frame heading your way soon!

g5604
    Free Member

He says the colour is faded…

How can I be liable for postage? Just read the email again and it says they will refund original postage as well! So I will be out £60 and might not get anything returned to me.

DezB
    Free Member

No returns means no returns.. unless not as described, of course. You need to ring ebay

(ps. always set exclusions on your auction so that only UK buyers can bid, you have to use the website (not the app) for this!)

kerley
    Free Member

What grounds is he returning it on? Not as described?

scrumfled
    Free Member

A collected item is sold as seen, they had a right of inspection at the time.

If they choose to use an agent to collect it, thats not your problem.

g5604
    Free Member

they were posing as a uk buyer.

kerley
    Free Member

I would think as collection only then they would need to return it in person or post at their own cost. You haven’t provided postage for him to “collect it” so you definitely shouldn’t be paying anything.
    Phone eBay, they are pretty good on the phone.

g5604
    Free Member

thanks Kerley, I phoned and they have closed the case within 5 mins!

grimep
    Free Member

Things seem to be getting worse on eBay. Even if everything goes fine, there’s always a chance eBay will impose a payment hold for 21 days. Or worse case, someone else has your bike, you have no payment because they raise an issue after collecting it, and they do a runner.

sandwicheater

Think i’ve this fun on the horizon, thought i’d selected UK buyers only and shipped to UK address but now realised a German bidder and the address is a shipping/forwarding company.

Oh the fun.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

cancel his bid, report him

is that an option?

ribena
    Free Member

I’ve had this before, but refunded their payment, cancelled the sale, listed again and claimed the final value fee back from ebay.

Mowgli
    Free Member

I’ve just spent a while figuring out how to exclude overseas buyers. Not sure if it’ll work, but you’ll need to Opt Out of the Global Shipping Program as well as excluding postage locations (Ebay – Account – Site Preferences – Postage Preferences – Exclude postage locations).

empirical
    Free Member

Apparently if you use an email address not registered for PayPal they will have no way of paying other than cash on collection, which would help you as a seller.

g5604
    Free Member

Shipping to a different address and collection only are not covered by the money back guarantee, which is why they closed the case.

They froze my PayPal account for 2 weeks and were going to issue a refund,

You have to be so careful now, listed with:

– no returns
    – collection only
    – remove PayPal as a payment option
    – be very descriptive about item condition

DezB
    Free Member

thanks Kerley

Hmph!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Shipping to a different address and collection only are not covered by the money back guarantee, which is why they closed the case.

They froze my PayPal account for 2 weeks and were going to issue a refund,

Can you clarify, are they refunding you the £30 they too to pay the buyer for return postage, or they’ve refunded the buyer?

i.e. did they close it within 5 minutes in your favour or the buyers.

g5604
    Free Member

they closed it in my favour – they can’t return the frame.

Dickyboy

Ebay won’t let you remove PayPal as a payment option even when it’s a cash on collection only sale & they make it pretty hard to find a way for the buyer to contact the seller until payment is made too 😠 I explain this to any buyers and refund them but PayPal still skim some money off you then…

yoshimi

Recently pulling my hair out with the people on ebay – been selling DSLR, it sold 3 separate times and then the users just never paid – thankfully the winning bidder paid the 4th time

g5604
    Free Member

Ebay used to be great, but it seems like the money back guarantee and not being able to leave negative feedback on buyers has killed the marketplace.

Last three sales have all had some hassle.

matt_outandabout

You have to be so careful now, listed with:

– no returns
    – collection only
    – remove PayPal as a payment option
    – be very descriptive about item condition

So Gumtree or a card in the papershop window?

RustyNissanPrairie

eBay is pretty much finished for me nowadays, too many idiot’s and too much hassle in trying not to get scammed/ripped off. Bootsale, charity or buy now cash on collection only.

DezB
    Free Member

All depends what youre selling really. Not had any issues here.

finbar
    Free Member

Grr! I’ve lost out on refund postage a few times when buyers have returned stuff that was listed as no returns. I’ve just taken it on the chin though, as the vast majority of sales come out to the good.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘eBay nonsense’ is closed to new replies.