Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Ebay nightmare, what to do now?
  • Joe

Sold a Fuji X100 on Ebay which I’d had for about a year. Sent the warranty card and the original receipt, and off it went via Ebay’s global shipping scheme to Italy.

The buyer contacted me a little while later to say there was a problem with the focus (I’m a cameraman by trade and used the camera most days to grab snaps on location…never noticed a problem) and that it had gone to fuji to be assessed.

She has then contacted me to say the repair bill is 600 euros, and that she wants to send the camera back for a refund… but that she has thrown the receipt and warranty card in the bin!!!!

What do you think Ebay will do? Side with the buyer as usual? This is really insane. Why on earth would you throw away the receipt?

nuke

The buyer contacted me a little while later

How long later from when the camera was delivered?

Cougar

This. Also, has she provided the report for the repair?

Smells fishy to me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    akira

First thing is I’d ask for the report from Fuji, just to check the repair isn’t for drop damage or something entirely their fault. Damn you cougar

scotroutes

Is the warranty transferable anyway?

orangespyderman

I’m not well experienced with eBay but I would insist that she returns the warranty and receipt with it. Without them the object is worth (quite a bit?) less than it is with them.

Good luck in any case, it does indeed sound fishy.

EDIT : Sorry I’m NOT well experienced with eBay 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

eBay’s T&Cs did say that problems with items sent via the GSP that had issues were covered by them – effectively eBay take on the role of the buyer, and they’re then ‘reselling’ to the end customer. I’d check if that’s still the case.

Edit: that’s only items lost/damaged in transit, so may be relevant. I can’t see how you can be responsible for anything more than the cost of the camera. Not your problem they repaired it.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Do you have the serial nber of the camera recorded?? Could be she already had a faulty camera and is using eBay to swap it for a working one?

nick1962
    Free Member

How long’s the warranty? if it’s expired does it make any difference? She’s not trying to swap your camera/lens for a broken one? Do you have the serial number?

Joe

Yes I have the serial number. The warranty is two years and probably only claimable by me…but it hasn’t got my name on it, so I doubt it matters. She has had the camera for a month, the camera has probably been with fuji in Italy for a fortnight.

She’s provided the report from the fuji dealer, saying that they are pretty much wanting to replace a whole list of stuff lens/viewfinder and got knows what.

Cougar

She has had the camera for a month,

Tough shit then, n’est-ce pas?

If it was genuinely faulty (devil’s advocate, could be damaged in transit), surely she’d have contacted you at the outset for a refund rather than sending it for repair? Literally, who does that with a camera bought off ebay rather than just reporting it and kicking it back? Stinks of a scam.

dyls

Difficult one. So it seems the camera went kaput within a few weeks of buying it. She then sent it to fuji for repair and has been quoted €600 which is a massive amount.

You have the report from fuji. I assume its a very expensive camera?

tbh I can see her point as well and not everyone is a scammer. Difficult one.

Kryton57

You have it in writing she threw the warranty away?   It was OK for a month after you sold it?

Her problem.

kerley
    Free Member

If it was broken when received then that is your problem. If it was working perfectly and then broke afterwards (whether 1 week or 1 year it is their problem) and you have not given any guarantees with it. Proving which will be difficult so would think you will end up getting camera back and having to refund.

If I received a camera that was faulty it would be gong back the next day and I would not be wasting my time taking it to get repairs, quotes etc,. so is odd behaviour but after using eBay for 15 years odd behaviour is not unusual!

samuelr
    Free Member

I have a feeling you ar about to be shafted. Ebay always side with the buyer.
    I hope I’m wrong though.

pondo

I won a dispute as a seller on ebay. #justsayin

bearnecessities

I had something very similar with a phone I sold.

The fact that the buyer had taken the phone to be looked at (i.e touched/dismantled etc) by someone else before contacting me to resolve was the only fact Paypal cared about, and found in my favour.

(Also, I think there may be some leverage in the fact you are not getting what was sold back – you’re missing an item, the warranty card, that was sold with the camera. I’m not sure whether a receipt would count as an item mind you..)

bobbyspangles

Persivere.
    eBay have not always sided with buyer in my experience. I once won a refund challenge and even had the buyers negative feedback removed.
    If your buyer has been using the camera for a month then I’d say you were absolved of responsibility.
    Good luck

Cougar

With my less cynical hat on for a sec,

Assuming the buyer is genuine, then that’s a crappy thing to happen and if I’d bought a camera that failed after a month I’d be properly cheesed off. However, I’m still not seeing how it’s anything to do with you, it was fine when it arrived. If she’d wanted a guarantee she should’ve bought a new one.

CheesybeanZ

Did she leave you any feedback when it was delivered ?

DezB
    Free Member

I’m still not seeing how it’s anything to do with you, it was fine when it arrived. If she’d wanted a guarantee she should’ve bought a new one.

100%
    You can only influence eBay’s decision by telling the truth and I reckon you’ll be ok as the buyer took so long to decide it was faulty. Buying second hand goods always carries a risk and throwing the warranty away is either the act of a complete moron or an attempted con artist.
    If people can get away with doing this, then everyone would do it and eBay would have to stick to business sellers and people selling old bits of string.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I would submit the serial number onto eBays system / mail now, as scammers do send identical broken products with different imei/serial number type unique identifiers ( mobile phones are popular , I hate selling the in-laws old mobiles for this very reason.

Ps eBay/ PayPal can be very good

PrinceJohn

Both myself & my partner have won cases against dodgy buyers.

I have found if they are genuine, they’ll be polite, if they are not they start issuing threats etc…

Always communicate through eBay, then they can access the entire conversation.

bearnecessities

It doesn’t matter how long it takes to realise if the item is faulty (I think you have something like up to 90 days through PP – rather than the 30 (ish) through eBay.

What matters is whether the seller makes a statement to say if the item was working, and then stopped working. If that’s the case you’re ok, but if it was the first time they used it then you’re on a sticky wicket.

But even if she states first time used, I think you’ll be ok in the fact that the item has in effect been tampered with by a third party now.

ctk
    Free Member

Can’t you/her get it repaired under warranty?

retro83
    Free Member

Joe

Yes I have the serial number. The warranty is two years and probably only claimable by me…but it hasn’t got my name on it, so I doubt it matters. She has had the camera for a month, the camera has probably been with fuji in Italy for a fortnight.

She’s provided the report from the fuji dealer, saying that they are pretty much wanting to replace a whole list of stuff lens/viewfinder and got knows what.

Does the report from Fuji have the serial number on it?

sharkbait
    Free Member

What Bear said ^. The warranty was part of the goods being sold (i.e. it would have been worth less without the warranty, and the receipt is proof of data of purchase) – she needs to return everything to you for a refund.
    That said, why would she not contact you first when she discovered a fault? Sounds wrong to me.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

And of course Fuji are going to charge top whack for a fix.

Its a strange one, certainly my first thought would be to contact the seller if something was faulty. Unless they were going down the ‘its got a fault and it’ll cost 100 quid to fix, so refund me that’ but they’ve been quoted a very big bill instead.

Warranty card in the bin makes is a lot more complicated.

wiggles
    Free Member

Did you state it came with the warranty card/receipt in the as? Because if that’s listed as part of the item then if it is returned without then you can just say not all of the items sold were returned.

nealglover
    Free Member

Did you state it came with the warranty card/receipt in the as? Because if that’s listed as part of the item then if it is returned without then you can just say not all of the items sold were returned.

100%

Return all items or no refund.

(What kind of moron would throw those away at the same time as returning the camera to the manufacturer for a repair ?!)

neiloxford
    Free Member

Step 1 – Ask her to ask for the refund through paypal not ebay. This is important.
    Step 2- You explain to paypal that it was working when you sent it, and is now not working. Appears that it was damaged in delivery by the ebay Global Shipping Programme
    Step 3 – paypal will refund the buyer, you keep your money from the sale, and ebay GSP will pick up the cost. They are liable for delivering the item in working condition.

This approach gets it resolved in around 24 hours.

If she asks for the refund through ebay this approach will not work, it must be through paypal.

I have had this happen to me twice, and got it resolved both times. I have now stopped using ebay GSP as I find they damage items.

kcal

I haven’t sent many items via eBay GSP, but for balance I’ve been surprised how much gets there in working condition! admittedly not camera level, but fine detailed stuff like model trains, up to retro cassette high-end Sony recorder thing.

cloudnine
    Free Member

If it went through Ebay GSP then dont they usually refund the buyer if the item gets lost or broken..

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I got scammed fairly recently via EBay selling a GoPro

Shipped in working condition (I checked it before posting – photos in my listing even showed it powered on) including a WiFi remote

Returned broken (wouldn’t turn on) and the WiFi remote was missing (the buyer claimed they couldn’t find it to return it)

EBay sided with him and I was forced to issue a refund

Sent to a UK address so the GSP wasn’t involved

cynic-al
    Free Member

The warranty was part of the goods being sold

Yes – if it was transferable, otherwise it surely has no worth, like say the packaging?

DrJ

Latest Fuji X100 costs about 1000 quid new, yes?

Pierre

Like cycl1ngjb, I was on the “shafted” side of the balance too. I sold a mobile phone with a good shock-proof case; the buyer claimed the phone wasn’t working and he’d taken it to a repairer who said it was dead. Buyer sent me back my phone with a screw missing, internal parts broken off and no case, eBay forced me to refund him.

“Sometimes you are the dog. Sometimes you are the lamp-post.”

I wish you all the best, Joe!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Ebay nightmare, what to do now?’ is closed to new replies.