Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ebay. Max bid in the last minute
  • Earl
    Free Member

Does it still do ‘max’ bid then its placed in the last minute of the auction or does it just take it as the bid?

The last couple of auctions that I won,  I entered a bid in the last minute and it went up by the full bid amount. Was the prev bidders max bid exactly 1 step below mine?

Happy with the price I paid but I’m just curious about the way it works.

tomhoward

eBay takes your max bid, but then adds the minimum increment amount over the previous bid, until you reach your maximum

person A max bid is £50

person B max bid is £100

Bs bid shows as £60.

if A then bids £75, Bs shows as £85.

A bids £95, B shows as £100.

charlielightamatch
    Free Member

eBay will place a bid for you then if anyone else outbids you at any time it will bid again just a little bit more until it reaches your max amount. It won’t wait until the last minute.

Somtimes what people do it get someone else to bid their item up if you’ve put a bid on to get as much as possible (shill bidding and not allowed but hard to stop). If you look at the bid history and there are loads of small incremental bids from someone this may have happened but it’s not a hard and fast rule.

You can use a 3rd party program to bid for you and they can do it in the last few seconds – this can often make sure you get it at the lowest price but can’t help you get outbid by a previously higher bid.

jonnyboi

Yeah, it’s what eBay does. Conversly the person who lost out usually thinks they missed out by a tiny amount, but they don’t know what the winning bidders max bid was

Earl
    Free Member

Person A – was winning at £50

I bid £65 and was winning.

Person A – bid again and was winning at £67

Today, with 30s to go I put in a max bid at £75 and went in straight at £75 (I ended up winning..)

This would mean that Person A’s max bid would have been around £73 ???

jonnyboi

Pretty much that, even if your max bid was £1000 you still would have won it for £75

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I hear what you are saying here, last 2 auctions ive bid on have been bob on my max bid – 30 quid and 263 quid – prices on my bid jumped from 16 to 30 and 170 to 263

almost like eBay filled in any blanks to get the max revenue – of course they wouldnt do that, would they

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I used to use sniper third party tools, sign in, enter auction Id and then set the bid, that ensures no one bids against you, people have a mentality that if someone else is bidding that they must bid against them

but with Alerts’s on mobiles I tend to bid last minute these days.

ps. Try to bid with a few pennies on the price ie if you wanted an item max bid £100, bid £100.06 pence it’ll outbid a rival (assuming it’s not on the price step just below) and if a rival bids £100 late on they may not have time to re-enter another bid..

lit definately works

monkeyboyjc

^^^ what he said ^^^

Sniper tool or app and bid your max plus a few pennies.

I won a wallpaper steamer recently on my max bit – which was £10.01. If I’d just put 10quid in I’d have lost to the previous bidder.

Sniper tools are ideal if your not going to be around for the auction end.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Sniper tools are ideal even if you are watching. You can always have fat fingers/brainfart/network problems. Just place your highest bid ahead of time and watch it play out.

kerley
    Free Member

almost like eBay filled in any blanks to get the max revenue – of course they wouldnt do that, would they

No they wouldn’t do that as that is not how it works.  You can see exactly what happens by looking at the bid history.

kelron
    Free Member

eBay runs on making its service attractive to buyers – the sellers go along with whatever because the alternative is Gumtree.

I don’t see any benefit to them in inflating prices.

JohnnyPanic

You can see exactly what happens by looking at the bid history.

This

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Ebay. Max bid in the last minute’ is closed to new replies.