Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • eBay help please
  • minley1
    Free Member

My wife has purchased a trampoline from EBay on 12th June, delivery to be early the following week. By the 18th it had not arrived, so she contacted the seller who said to wait until the following week as he couldn’t track as it had been sent through a web site that brokers postage!.

he then came back and said that it had been delivered by TNT on the 17th and signed for, Obviously it hasn’t, we are both working from home as kids are off (hence the trampoline).

it ok I say, EBay will sort and we will get a refund, so she opens a case.

today she has an email to say case closed, it’s been delivered!. So we have appealed.

is there anything else we can do?, paid with PayPal so also opened a case with them, seller is not registered with companies house so just a sole trader, address is a main road , but he has good feed back.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

did the seller send you the screen shot of item showing delivered,
    maybe he wrote the wrong address on it, that happens.

are you able to get the tracking reference and check yourself. I’ve had bikes and large items delivered by TNT 4 or 5 times and i always got a good service.

ring Ebay (get them to call you back) they tend to be very good

Jakester
    Free Member

Did your email bounce? (sorry)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Ask for the PoD, once you’ve seen that then decide where to go from there.

oldtennisshoes

Raise issue through PayPal?

Daffy

Contact eBay. They’re usually very good with this sort of thing.

kerley
    Free Member

Ask for the PoD, once you’ve seen that then decide where to go from there

Yep. I have had this before where the signature was “John”. Walked all around the road knocking on doors to see if I could find John. Couldn’t find John, phoned up UPS who started off by telling me I should know all my neighbours but then said they would look into it. Turns out it had not been delivered at all but for some reason the driver had left a card with John on it. Got delivered the next day. The more deliveries you get the more inexplicable stuff you see…

robbie
    Free Member

Problem these days is the drivers are not taking a signature. So there is a possibility that driver signed it himself? Hence why eBay say it’s been delivered.

minley1
    Free Member

Requested a call from eBay, they called and told my wife that as we have appealed they can’t help as its with a different department!, just had an email this evening from eBay again stating that they find in the sellers favour as the courier says it’s been delivered, and apparently that is the case That’s good enough for them (ebay).

i called TNT, who confirmed that they had it down as delivered with a signature (not our names), but that they could not provide this as we are not the customer, the seller used Postsge supermarket who in turn used TNT, so we are fourth in line.

Ebay say that they need pod to go any further, and we need to provide it by asking the courier.

This is pure madness, I appreciate things go missing, but for EBay and the seller to wash their hands of it beggars belief. We have asked the seller several times to get the pod but he hasn’t.

robbie
    Free Member

Do you use a credit card for pay pal?
    If you do maybe try your card provider to see if they can block the transaction?

tjagain

One possible avenue of recourse is to threaten to sue the retailer. They would lose as they have not delivered and cannot prove it

doomanic

The seller has his money and an eBay decision in his favour. He has no incentive to get you a PoD.

CC company probably can’t help as you paid PayPal to provide a service, which they did, not the seller to provide goods. Take a look at MSE, there’s a page on Section 75.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/PayPal-Section75/

tagnut69
    Free Member

had a very similar thing recently, i contacted my bank and they refunded in a couple of days.

tails
    Free Member

Awful behaviour from their side. Yesterday I had a parcel delivered to my neighbour, no note it just said delivered. Luckily she’s a nice lady but could easily have taken it.

minley1
    Free Member

We have opened a case with both Ebay and PayPal, debit card through PayPal, and on the basis the two companies are linked, I’m not holding out much hope there.

This is for £390, so not a small amount of money, we cannot afford to loose this.

I have again spoken with TNT, and a very helpful lady there went through all the entries on the delivery, and it looks like the driver has made a mistake by as it says delivered in good condition followed immediately by being back out for delivery,  To her it looks like it has not been delivered and she has asked her supervisor to put this in writing, so we can go back to eBay.

All this time, no communication from the seller, he could have raised a case with Postage supermarket/TNT on the 18th, but has done nothing and still has not provided the POD (probably as it has a completely different name on it)

minley1
    Free Member

A bit of a step forward now, I had a reply from Postage supermarket, who are being very helpful, they have confirmed that the parcel was not delivered to us, but to another person who had also ordered an item from the same seller, they are trying to ascertain wether they (the other customer) still have it and will try and get it uplifted.

They have agreed to put it in writing on their letterhead so EBay can see it’s not been delivered to us.

Apparently it was the seller that told them this!, so why he couldn’t have told us this two weeks ago is a mystery!.

TNT have also been really helpful in telling me as much as they can without breaking GDPR rules.

hopefully now we will either receive the item or a refund next week.

minley1
    Free Member

So the saga continues, despite having a signed letter on Letterhead paper saying that we have never had the parcel delivered, it’s still not enough!.

eBay are still insisting that we need it from TNT (our letter is from Postage Supermarket).

Additionally it appears we were given the wrong tracking number by the seller (this was added to the  item on the 29th, 11 days after raising the issue).

The actual Tracking number shows that it was delivered to a customer in Canterbury (over 80miles from us) and apparently TNT have tried to collect, but the recipient is denying any knowledge of having it!

Now the case is on hold for a further three days so eBay can review the evidence and speak to the seller!

Definitely a case of buyer beware!

I have found an email address for the MD of eBay in the uk, so have emailed him, but don’t hold out much hope of a reply.

kerley
    Free Member

It is technically the seller’s issue as he sent it and he has the relationship with the courier. If the courier sent it to the wrong place that is his problem. Seems strange that eBay are asking you for evidence from the seller’s courier as seller’s courier is nothing to do with you.
    Sure it will work out okay in the end.

minley1
    Free Member

Still not resolved!.

We have signed letter from Postage supermarket stating delivery went to wrong address.

Not good enough for eBay, after a few email’s to the UK Managing director, we did get a response, but apparently because we also lodged a case with PayPal, eBay won’t get involved until PayPal have made a decision (no mention of this until the latest email)

There is no way to add further notes to the PayPal case, so they don’t have all the info that we have given to eBay.

Have been told that the seller had admitted to TNT that he put the wrong labels on ours and someone else’s items, which fits with the tracking info we have.

TNT know that our item is with someone in Kent, they won’t confirm this to us as we are not the customer, the seller Still has done nothing and eBay don’t seem to be asking him to.

I am really stumped now, if PayPal rule against us, we have to them go back to eBay, and basically start again!.

minley1
    Free Member

Well today we had an email from PayPal, they have closed the case in favour of the seller as he had a POD!.

Does anyone have any advice of what to do next?.

As previously explained the POD appears to be the result of the seller putting the wrong labels on some items he sold, Postage Supermarket who he used have said this POD was delivered to Kent (we are in Hampshire) and TNT said (unofficially) that the item had been marked as delivered then immediately marked as back out for delivery suggesting an error.

lerk
    Free Member

At this point I would probably send the seller a ‘letter before action’ setting out the situation as you understand it and advising that if you don’t receive a full refund in 7 days from receipt of letter you will take the matter to court.

If no refund lands, set up a claim on http://www.moneyclaims.service.gov.uk.
    Assuming the case finds in your favour (which it sounds like it should) the costs will be added to their bill.

You’ll probably find that focusses their attention to solve your problem.

minley1
    Free Member

Thanks @lerk.

just had an email from Postage Supermarket, they are now no longer dealing with this seller and possibly going legal with them.

tails
    Free Member

Is it worth it though, if they find in the sellers favour you’ll be even more out of pocket for thin air. Whilst it seems unrealistic all the other vendors have found in his favour.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I would say your dispute is with PayPal now as they have accepted a POD to the wrong address. Take it up with them, if that fails, how did you pay them? If by credit card, you may be a able to go that route.

hooli

If you have all your evidence, which it sounds like you do, I would send a recorded letter to the seller stating “notice before action”. State the facts as above, give them a date to reply by and if no action, you will open a case with money claim online.

https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim

You have to pay a fee but if you are found to be in the right, it gets paid by the seller.

I have found the letter normally sorts out any chancers and if it does need to go to MCOL, they are pretty good.

Coyote
    Free Member

Small claims court?

lerk
    Free Member

tails
    Is it worth it though, if they find in the sellers favour you’ll be even more out of pocket for thin air. Whilst it seems unrealistic all the other vendors have found in his favour.

The difference is that Paypal work to very narrowly defined standards of proof – as long as the seller provides a link to a delivered item POD they are happy and will not hear that called into question.

Actual Courts work on reasonable doubt and/or balance of probability (IANAL) and involve a sentient human who is allowed to look at all of the facts.

Hopefully the seller will realise that at the point of receiving <£5 outlay of a recorded letter and cough up. If not, the cost of the letter can be added to the court fees for him to pay as well.

Coyote
    Small claims court?

Is effectively what the moneyclaims service is.

kcal

Ouch. I was selling a lot of my dad’s model trains, it was a bit hectic and I swapped two labels. Luckily the buyers realised what had happened, and I simply paid for them to post on to each other.

This sounds more serious (and fraught).

stumpyjon

I wonder who your contract is, PayPal or the seller, I’m guessing the seller although PayPal need raking over the coals on this as well. The whole point of using them is so both seller and buyer don’t need to resort to small claims. I’d do as above, letter before action, proceed to moneyclaims service but be aware even if you win that the seller may not cough up, all depends how much the lost money is worth to you, your level of righteous indignation at being ripped off and your tolerance for ongoing hassle.

mashr

Have you had a chat with someone from Paypal? They’re pretty good at describing what’s going on when you get them on the phone

nickjb
    Free Member

My experience with PayPal was pretty poor. They seemed desperate to wash their hands of it. By all means push them but don’t get your hopes up.

hooli

but be aware even if you win that the seller may not cough up, all depends how much the lost money is worth to you, your level of righteous indignation at being ripped off and your tolerance for ongoing hassle.

You can send bailiffs round via money claim online if they don’t pay, again it costs you but they add it to the sellers bill when they catch up with them.

To answer the last part of your reply, I am a stubborn, nasty bastard who holds a grudge so the hassle was well worth it to see the guy who ripped me off have to pay up 😉

DezB
    Free Member

AS everyone knows, I hate to be annoying, but nearly 400 quid for a second hand trampoline? Are you mad?

Hopeyou get it back! 😀 (then buy one for a sensible price)

kerley
    Free Member

I would just write the £400 off and get on with my life and chalk it up as a lesson in not buying relatively expensive items from people on eBay who send via dodgy couriers.
    I only ever spend what I can afford to throw away when buying or selling on eBay. I have sold/bought over £50K of stuff and not had any issues yet but sure I will one day

minley1
    Free Member

Just to be clear, this was a brand new Trampoline from, going by the reviews a good seller.

Getting to actually speak to someone is very difficult.

I will try the letter before action and se what happens from there.

Not a small amount of money to us, and like most other people, we have never had any issues buying over all sorts  of different online sites.

Thanks to those with helpful suggestions.

akeys001

I believe from a legal perspective (IANAL) the POD is invalid as it is for a delivery that isn’t to your address.

For paypal’s position to make sense I could sell you something, then post an item to someone else and claim I’ve got proof of delivering the item to you.

You can prove this (or force this point if you don’t have a copy of the POD) by your invoice (receipt) stating your address and saying the address needs to match the POD address – otherwise it is invalid.

This seems straight forward to me unless I’m missing something.

So your contract is with the seller and they do not have a valid POD so either they need to provide the goods or return your money. This I’d’ve thought is the route for small claims. The other route is to insist to paypal that the seller doesn’t have a valid POD and for this I’d speak to them.

minley1
    Free Member

This is part of the problem, the POD he has is for our address, but not our name, the issue is the labels were wrong and the driver marked his POD as delivered to our address, but then immediately put it back out for delivery (according to the lady at TNT). Postage supermarket have an email from TNT stating that the seller he’d also emailed them to say he had messed up the labels, but no one will give this to us.

So seller has a pod for our address, we don’t have the item, both couriers have said there has been an error, only Postage Supermarket would put it writing stating that our parcel was delivered to another address.

Cougar

I would just write the £400 off

If you’ve got £400 lying around that you don’t care about, could you write me a cheque please?

kissmylapierre
    Free Member

Maybe the whole thing is a con
    There was no item and knew that sending a brick to his mate would buy him time ?
    Do tnt have the parcel weight / dimensions are they correct
    Why are they he other parcel company not dealing with him .

akeys001

It does sound a bit like a racket but anyway, i still think you need to force the issue of getting the POD as it has different details from your invoice – that invoice is legally your contract. – So if ebay and pp aren’t helping i see the only option as small claims against the seller – you have the invoice – they need to prove they fulfilled your contract and that will bring out the POD with the wrong names and all this other failed delivery stuff and you’d expect the ruling to be in your favour (and if it is a racket they likely wouldn’t contest it).

Small claims is a pain but its a last resort and is there for issues like yours.

I’d also still complain through pp mind – they have not protected you here.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘eBay help please’ is closed to new replies.