Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • ebay courteousness-ness
  • smoggy
    Free Member

Hello all, I’m lookin to buy my first ever thing from ebay, basically bidding ends this saturday afternoon, it’s collection only (yes it’s a bike) but i won’t be able to pick it up till the following saturday. Is this too long between (hopefully) the winning bid and collection?….Assuming i keep in touch with the seller throughout etc…..or would this be considered as taking liberties etc..

Any thoughts?
    cheers!

🙂

wwaswas

contact them in advance and explain and offer to pay a deposit via paypal on day you win with balance as cash on collection.

With zero feedback you need to give the seller some reassurance.

wombat

wwaswas – Member
    contact them in advance and explain and offer to pay a deposit via paypal on day you win with balance as cash on collection.

With zero feedback you need to give the seller some reassurance.

Just what I was going to say.

Beaten at speed typing be wwaswas 🙂

dab

Smoggy,
    If you have paid in full then there’s no reason why Not

I sold some kids golf clubs on e bay to a nice lady in Inverness and met her
    In aviemore 3 weeks after as I was up getting ski boots

Also just sold my bike on stw and the buyer works up here
    once a month, so I’m happy to hold on to it until she’s up

Be honest & upfront and 99% of folk are happy enough

cupra
    Free Member

Hopefully it is my bike you’re bidding on 🙂 yes I’d hold for a buyer but it is nice to know either in advance or very soon after the auction ends.

smoggy
    Free Member

Thanks guys, good ideas, i’ll do something like that then. p.s the bike is in huddersfield….is it yours?

🙂

cupra
    Free Member

no, it isn’t mine 🙁

jota180
    Free Member

Make sure you ‘snipe’ it rather than bid it up

smoggy
    Free Member

“snipe it”?….now you’re takin the pish? i’m also lookin at one in Gateshead, the seller is “orangekev” don’t we have an orangekev on this forum?

jota180
    Free Member

“snipe it”?….now you’re takin the pish?

Bid once only
    Bid the maximum you’re willing to pay [+ a few pence]
    Bid very late [less than 20 seconds to go]

or use a sniping service [google it]

duckman

Jota speaks wise words, resist the “must own ” urge. And bid with 20 secs left.

theotherjonv

don’t forget that once you set your bid up and press enter, you then get another screen asking you to confirm the bid.

If you only bid with 20s to go, make sure that’s enough time for the second screen to load and then you can act on it.

Not that i’d ever lose out on a deal by being stuck on the second screen as the auction closed, no siree!

nickjb
    Free Member

That sounds familiar. My other tactic was to see someting I like, think ‘I’ll bid on that at the end’ then completely forget only noticing weeks later that it went for 99p. I’m a sniping software convert now.

smoggy
    Free Member

So I’ve messaged the guy and offered him 20 quid if I’m successful but he wants 50 quid as a deposit! Would you still go for it of am I just being too cautious?
    cheers

tthew

Depends how much you want the bike, and how likely you are to back out really.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘ebay courteousness-ness’ is closed to new replies.