Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • eBay – Collection only item – Seller not accepting cash?
  • letmetalktomark

I guess this works in the favour of the buyer but why would a seller not want cash on collection?

ElShalimo

Maybe they want paying in kind?
    Go get ’em tiger!

nickjb
    Free Member

There is a scam for the buyer to pay with PayPal, collect then claim non delivery and get a refund but I can’t see how the seller could benefit. I suppose it prevents time-wasting and hagglers.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Worried about forged notes, fear of being robbed?

wilko1999
    Free Member

Is it a BMX? 😀

maccruiskeen

they might prefer to keep the money from sales in their paypal account. Some people set themselves a rule that they only buy with money from what they sell

They might be worried that cash might be counterfeit

They might be worried that you’d haggle when you collect, so would rather payment was made first

It might be a scam and theres nothing to collect and the address is false.

Oddly though (and you could perhaps suggest this) paypal isn’t recommended for items collected in person as eBays uses tracking numbers to settle disputes. If you pay by paypal then collect in person – then raise a dispute to say you’ve not received the item the seller can prove they’ve given it to you and ebay will take the money back off them and give it to you – simply because they’ve no proof (and nothing other than a tracking number counts as proof) they sent it.

EDIT – too slow for most of that

Rockplough
    Free Member

When I sold a high value item on ebay for collection, I insisted on paypal. As noted above, wanted the peace of mind against dodgy notes and/or robbery and/or casing followed by burglary. But then I’m a bit paranoid about security etc.

maccruiskeen

But then I’m a bit paranoid about security etc.

unfortunately you we’re more open to being ripped off (but weren’t, luckily) – and if someone is collecting in person they’re just as able to case or rob the joint with a paypal account as they are with cash in their pocket

Northwind

Maybe they’re fed up of people promising cash on collection then never turning up?

johnhighfield
    Free Member

PayPal costs the seller about 4% of the purchase price so many sellers insist on NO paypal – just cash on collection. I have used cash on many sales for the above reason & have been lucky to have decent buyers who paid the price without haggling or argument – but I do list very honestly.

When I have paid cash I also make sure it’s exactly as described before I hand over the cash – which has also generally gone well with the exception of one bike which was an absolute dog in the ‘flesh’ that I did have to walk away from. My defence was that it wasn’t ‘as described’.

robdob
    Free Member

You could just pay them by paypal gift if they insist. Then they get their cash where they want it and they dont have any comeback just like cash.

Garry_Lager

Had a few people haggling on the doorstep on ebay sales and it’s a ballache. Goes with the territory if you’ve ended an item early, but if it’s a finalised auction then it’s something you could do without.

Rockplough
    Free Member

just as able to case or rob the joint with a paypal account as they are with cash in their pocket

I had them pay, and had withdrawn the funds by the time they came round. Told you I was paranoid.

Sundayjumper

I’ve had sellers wanting payment in advance, and I worried about it, and it just turned out that they were being cautious.

I do insist on payment in CASH when someone is collecting from me though. I’ve had enough people mess me about anyway, I do worry about that non-delivery scam.

And when it comes to ending early, don’t cancel the listing until you have their money. I’ve learned that the hard way from more than one incident.

robdob
    Free Member

I had them pay, and had withdrawn the funds by the time they came round. Told you I was paranoid.

Doesn’t matter if paypal side with the buyer, they’ll take the money from your linked bank account/payment card that you transferred the money to.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Whaaat really? I am dismayed by this news.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘eBay – Collection only item – Seller not accepting cash?’ is closed to new replies.