Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • eBay chancers
  • boxxer7
    Free Member

So I decided to list a few things I had lying around because last week eBay were doing £1 seller fees.

Back at Christmas I got a couple of dash cameras free at work with a promotion that I had ordered so thought I’ll pop them on eBay as I’m not likely to use them….

Long story short, auction finished yesterday for the grand sum of £28 + postage, I sent it off the same afternoon 2nd recorded to make sure they can’t claim the “it never arrived line”. Today I get a message

Hi
    I got the item but I’m afraid it’s not new it’s used because it got too many scratches. Give me some money back for scratches or I’ll return it.
    On Ebay there are brand new for 35.00”

Strikes me as a chancer to get a few more quid off the price, I’ve offered him to return the item but I’ve not offered any money off, the item really was brand spanking new still in its original protective wrap when it left me yesterday I can’t see how it could be described as above!

Anyway let’s see where it goes, I can’t believe it got there in under 24 hours 2nd class but it did. Wish post was that quick when I’m waiting for stuff 😂

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve had that, once. I offered a return /refund and never heard anything more. Suspect they were just chancing it. Obviously if they call your bluff and actually do send it back it’ll cost you. Especially if they make sure it’s scratched…

boxxer7
    Free Member

I was thinking this may happen, if it does come back it’s no great loss other than the postage as it didn’t actually cost me anything.

Can’t believe the lengths some people go through for a couple of quid though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Been a while since I ebayed anything, given the number of bad stories I think I’d video me packing it and photograph at po counter (for high value).

tomhoward

Can’t believe the lengths some people go through for a couple of quid though.

My mum sold an original but unused WWII ration book after clearing out my great aunts loft. Went for the princely sum of a quid. Buyer did a ‘not as described’ refund claim, stating that the cover was faded, not new (as she had described it to be fair, but it was a 70 year old book, for a quid, what was he expecting??) Mum refunded but never got the book back.

I haven’t used eBay since.

dyna-ti

Ask for it to be returned and hope they dont send it back recorded, which is possible as they’ve already shown themselves to be cheap. If it arrives non recorded then claim it hasnt turned up and that stuffs them for a refund.
    Add automatically to your blocked buyer list as a point of principle.
    Dont leave feedback.
    Report buyer to ebay as an attempted fraud. Maybe aye, maybe not but might as well.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Wow I’ve had and heard some chancer stories but that ration book one is the worst there! Not something I’ve researched but I imagine those kind of things are pretty rare! I’d be happy with the tattiest scrap going if I knew it had that history attached. Especially for a quid!

Was on the opposite end of the ‘scratched’ thing a while ago. Bought a phone advertised as immaculate and it turned up scratched up and in poor state. I messaged the guy who denied any knowledge so I raised a return request and the guy went mental saying he ‘knew what I was up to’ and would be ‘reporting me to ebay’. It went on like that (I went along for some entertainment, ultimately I knew eBay would sort it) until it escalated to ‘going to the police’ at which point I ignored the messages, returned the phone and bought another one

kerley
    Free Member

Did you list them as “New” or “New Other”?
    Did they actually have some scratches on that you detailed in the listing?
    Were the photographs very clear images of the items showing no scratches?

kerley
    Free Member

Was on the opposite end of the ‘scratched’ thing a while ago.

I use eBay a lot, as seller and buyer, but I very rarely buy used items as sellers in the majority of cases think their item is in better condition that it actually is so I ended up returning a lot of items.
    When I sell I make sure people are aware of every fault, scratch, mark etc,. and I don’t get any issues.

Daffy

Are you certain that it wasn’t scratched, even though it was in its original protective wrapper?

I’ve bought stuff from Wiggle and CRC which have arrived in their original box and wrapper, but were clearly used when unpacked fully. Some stuff, if it appears untouched when returned, goes straight back into stock.

boxxer7
    Free Member

I listed it as “new other” and when I say it was new it really was brand new and had its protective wrap on, bit like when you buy a new phone you have to pull the screen protector off and so on.

@dyna that’s exactly what I had done, never know he may have pulled that sort of thing before and someone else has reported for the same sort of thing, at least eBay would get a bit of a pattern to it.

That story about the ration book is crazy, all that over a £1!!!! I thought this seemed bad enough.

I’ve used eBay loads over the years to sell a few bikes and always worried about them as they tend to be worth a few quid and have expected to get stung one day.

It’s no great loss if it does come back at the end of the day it was a freebee.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘eBay chancers’ is closed to new replies.