Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Ebay Bike – considering buying – what max bid???
  • genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Seen on Ebay today. Thinking of bidding, upto a maximum £800, (can’t afford any higher). Anyone have one for a bit of experienced lowdown and opinion on a £800 max bid value? (before I commit!!)
    Cheers

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331963042519

m0rk
    Free Member

I probably wouldn’t stick it on an MTB forum so other people can bid on it too.

jkomo

Great PSA, thanks, just what I’m after.
    Prob swoop in at the last minute.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aracer
    Free Member

Yeah thanks for the link, just what I’m looking for 😀

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

I appreciate that I might be out bid. But if it went over £800 I could not afford it anyway. Plus I can’t afford to risk £800 on something that is not a good ride. Goggling for reviews are thin on the ground.

stu170
    Free Member

Now this is a genius stealth ad, 10 out of 10

twicewithchips
    Free Member

PSA or genius stealth ad? 😆 (edit, pah too slow)

For my 800, I’d want to know that was def the bike I was after, but otherwise looking for auctions that end midweek and in ‘work’ hours might be a good strategy.

It seems to be a decent amount of bike for your money (if it is 800) but what’s attracting you to it specifically, and can soemthing similar (but with reviews) be had?

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Stealth Ad!!! I had to work what that meant at first!!! I am afraid I am not that clever!!!. It has caught my eye as only 100 miles away from me so within collection distance. I do appreciate 25 quid is not a huge amount for postage. I simply have not seen them about before (I had heard of them) so was just getting some experienced comments of them.

murf
    Free Member

Just send the guy a message and ask if he’ll take £800. He’ll probably save about £50 in eBay/PayPal fees. Pop over to collect it and get a test ride at the same time.
    Bingo 🙂

weeksy

Nice bike.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Made starting bid!! Fingers crossed.

slackboy
    Speeder

2 trains of thought and I’m not sure which works better

Put in max bid early and forget about it in the hope that people constantly bidding against you get put off that they’re not getting to highest bidder.

or

Highest bid later or last few seconds – this can work, it “keeps your powder dry” but means you have to be organised and gets a bit time consuming at the end. Can alleviate the nervous last few minutes by using an ‘Auction Sniper’ to bid on your behalf in the last few seconds though this will cost a few quid.

Either way, you’ll be beaten by someone who bids more. I’d go for the first option though I’ve done both with some success. It looks a nice bike and I’d expect it to go for more, especially now you’ve publicized it on here.

coomber
    Free Member

My thoughts on bidding late on bikes is that bikes get pulled all the time either because it’s not making what the seller wants or someone has already done a deal outside of ebay

hypnonewt
    Free Member

I can’t speak about that bike specifically because I have never ridden any of Ghosts latest offerings, but if you go by their past offerings they are a great company. They have been established in Germany for ages now I had a Ghost AMR back in 2004 and it was a great bike at the time.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Ah – thanks slackboy – just seen the link 🙁 hey ho at least as I have bid I can keep tabs on it….i might be lucky and as mentioned on prev post could send a message through ebay if does not meet the Gumtree price

bri-72

You say stealth ad, i see stealth wanted. Ive got an AMR2955 which looks similar and have been swithering about whether to sell or not (just not getting used). Get in touch if may be interested. Price around what you were thinking of above.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Yes i am interested please bri-72. My email is in profile if you can send pics.

bri-72

Will sort some tomorrow night

vincienup
    Free Member

My observation on eBay bikes and major components is that most make very significant gains in the last day and even last hour. Forks rocketing from no one bidding at £20 at 7am to £100 at 8pm and £200 or so by sale time at 9pm is not unusual.

It’s a bit like chicken, people pulling sales because it’s not making enough had a reserve price in mind but were too cheap to pay for it.

OP, unless you doorstep seller with a buy it now offer and roll a test ride in, you’ve blown this one by posting it and your top limit.

In future, decide what you’re happy to pay , bid less and make a last minute decision about raising your bid close to end time. Expect a lot of frustration unless your tastes are for severely unpopular bikes.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

It looks like my original budget was a little low / ambitious!! – Thank you all for the ebay advice. I have increased my budget ( it is pretty much all ready at my first budget) to 1000.00

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Bri72. Have your email and will come back to you

tomhoward

I get the feeling if he was interested at selling with your budget at £800, now you’ve said its £1,000, his price may increase… 😆

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Update…..got it for 840.00

bri-72

Bargain

si77

Update…..got it for 840.00

Why is it back up for sale then?

smatkins1
    Free Member

Why is it back up for sale then?

Seller must have seen OP has increased his budget to £1k. The bike has been relisted accordingly 😀

nairnster
    Free Member

Dodgy seller then? Is there no rules against that?

codybrennan
    Free Member

“Relisted due to non payment”.

superstu
    Free Member

Plot thickening!

nairnster
    Free Member

I guess he had it listed as immediate payment required. Obviously immediate to the buyer is when they are first able to pay following auction end.

I suspect the seller didnt get as much as he wanted (well we know he didnt) and as the payment wasnt made as soon as the auction ended, he relisted. All IMO of course, but seems dodgy and i think he seller took advantage of the wording.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Cheeky bugger has relisted, and buy it now at £1,100 !

What happens in that situation then for the OP?

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Start bombarding the seller with random questions…what colour is the break fluid?

codybrennan
    Free Member

I think whats far more likely is that:

a)someone on here knew the seller and let them know (not maliciously, just an FYI)

b)the power of STW and Google combined to show the seller what they might have been able to hold out for…

ajantom

Still a dick move though.

Something is worth what you get for it in an auction, whatever you might have wanted. If you want a specific price, then put on with BIN.

I hope the OP is able to leave some negative feedback if what we suspect happened, actually happened.

We should all just put in offers of 10p on it until he gets pissed off 😉

wiggles
    Free Member

Or maybe he didn’t pay for it…

ajantom

Maybe, but it seems odd to relist it within 24 hours.
    I usually give buyers 48 hours with no contact, and then a reminder. I’ve never not been paid yet!

codybrennan
    Free Member

Me too. As you say, dick move.

bruneep

asked if he’d accept £840 seeing thats what he sold it for previously

He clearly didn’t get what he wanted for it

The bike is advertised on Gumtree for £950, I am needing to sell the bike for £1000 on eBay (to clear £900 after fees) or £900 on gumtree, with payment being made by either transfer, cash or PayPal friend/family. My mobile is ********* if you wish to discuss further

bruneep

Seller has had a rethink.

Been thinking, if you want the bike for £840 then you can have it, won’t lie, was hoping for more as spent a fortune but it’s only fair.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Ebay Bike – considering buying – what max bid???’ is closed to new replies.