Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Ebay and best offers [mild rant]
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

I don’t get the angst about asking about postage, as I said most of the time people just don’t realise how easy it is (and some of us don’t live close to where most stuff turns up). If you’re going to be a child about it and block someone then that’s frankly your loss, there are a lot worse things to get annoyed about.

kelron
    Free Member

Yes it’s always worth asking about postage. Plenty of sellers are happy to arrange it despite listing collection only.

eBay puts limits on how much you can charge for postage so you can see why people may not want to list a heavy low value item with a postage option.

Sundayjumper

I don’t get the angst about asking about postage

Even when I’ve stated very clearly in the listing that I’m not going to post it ? If someone can’t comprehend that then I don’t have much confidence in them paying promptly, or not wasting my time arguing about condtion etc. It’s not even as if they ask nicely, it’s always “can u post” or similar. If they said “really sorry to ask but…” and explained a bit more then I’d be a lot more inclined to help. In fact I’ve done that before when selling on forums, one time I drove an hour to meet someone halfway, and another time I let them have it for free because they were making a very long drive to get it. I did that because they were decent people. The bloke that won a collection only item and then told me he’d send a courier can GTF.

If you’re going to be a child about it and block someone then that’s frankly your loss

Not really. There are always other buyers.

theotherjonv

i had one the other week, a set of cranks posted at £55 or best offer, so offered £50, i thought fairly, they rejected, so i offered £53, rejected, £54, rejected.

why put it on sale as ‘or best offer’

Because you kept going back.

Why did you put £50 as a ‘best offer’ if you were prepared to offer £54?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I like to start with the premise that every other Ebay user is an idiot.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I never shy away from doing a deal with a buyer away from ebay. I don’t feel very charitable toward ebay at any time of day! So, if I am selling something I want to clear £100 for, it’d need an ebay price of at least £120. If someone offers £100 to end auction early I’ll just reply with my phone number, and withdraw the auction once it’s paid for.

So my advice is don’t ignore offers… what matters isn’t that you get ebay their commission, but that you sell your item to someone.

chakaping
    Free Member

Seriously?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

or, trying to do a deal off-ebay which saves you both ebay and PP fees so you can knock a few quid off the asking price and it’s still a win-win.

For a one off big ticket item it might be worthwhile. But TBH it involves far more faff than just waiting for ebay to ping and print off an address lable.

Seriously?

Even Mike “put it there, you got yerslef a deal” Brewer manages better negotiations than just meeting halfway between two random numbers.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

For a one off big ticket item it might be worthwhile. But TBH it involves far more faff than just waiting for ebay to ping and print off an address lable.

it is a standard tactic though, and whilst I’ve used it to sell big ticket items (a Nomad frame, a Giant Reign) I’ve also bought stuff from people who turned out to be really local so the off-ebay cash meet was more convenient than posting (like attending the same CX race that weekend!). I’m not a regular eBay user, just offering it as an explanation as to why people make offers rather than click the button.

totalshell

some proper angst over collection only.. ouch. i m watching an item now thats no bids thus far and the fella wants 30 quid collection only.. its over 300 miles away.. id happily pay a 100 quid delivered.. what can i say to persuade him to put it in a cardboard box and waste his time taking it to a post office or one of 5000 my hermes shops?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

some proper angst over collection only.. ouch. i m watching an item now thats no bids thus far and the fella wants 30 quid collection only.. its over 300 miles away.. id happily pay a 100 quid delivered.. what can i say to persuade him to put it in a cardboard box and waste his time taking it to a post office or one of 5000 my hermes shops?

Its not a VW T5 splitter is it? 😉

If it is, £100 and its yours 😀

Marko

I never shy away from doing a deal with a buyer away from ebay. I don’t feel very charitable toward ebay at any time of day!

Mmmm. . .So you nick stuff from the local supermarket as well?

I’m no great fan of big companies, but you’ve used their services to advertise and locate a buyer for you and you’ve stolen their cut of the deal. If you don’t like their terms, then don’t use eBay.

I can see for miles from the moral high ground 😆

kerley
    Free Member

I don’t get the angst about asking about postage, as I said most of the time people just don’t realise how easy it is (and some of us don’t live close to where most stuff turns up). If you’re going to be a child about it and block someone then that’s frankly your loss, there are a lot worse things to get annoyed about.

I am fully aware of how easy it is to post something, I have sold over 1000 items on eBay.
    However, if I want it collected and I have stated it is Collection only then that is what I expect. Blocking is not being childish, it removes any idiots continuing to buy. And never my loss as every item I have ever listed has sold.
    Did I say it was the biggest thing to get annoyed about?

Can you send me your eBay user name please so I can add you to the blocked list to avoid any future hassle.

kerley
    Free Member

Have you offered £100 delivered?

chakaping
    Free Member

every item I have ever listed has sold.

Can you send me your eBay user name please so I can add you to the blocked list to avoid any future hassle.

Do you mostly sell handbags?

😉

aracer
    Free Member

Interesting. I tend to just knock 10% off as I’ve always assumed that’s about the going rate for making an offer and I CBA faffing around (and it seems when I do that most other people are happily paying full BIN anyway).

kerley
    Free Member

Nope. Can you send me your username too please.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

kerley – Member
    Nope. Can you send me your username too please.

Never seen the Studio 54 door-policy approach applied to eBay listings. Could work, I suppose. 😆

theotherjonv

Seriously?

Semi, and semi- tongue-in-cheek.

My initial response was to adrec who said

i had one the other week, a set of cranks posted at £55 or best offer, so offered £50, i thought fairly, they rejected, so i offered £53, rejected, £54, rejected.

and they kept rejecting his ‘best offer’ because he kept going back, showing that the £50 (or £53) wasn’t actually his best offer after all, because he kept making a better one. Hence my comment.

There is an art to negotiation and when done right doesn’t end up as just reaching the halfway point between your first offer and the original price. But keeping going back and upping the offer to end up at the asking price isn’t it (although the other fella played his hand pretty nigh perfectly)

(look, really I know that best offer on ebay as IRL doesn’t really mean best offer, it’s a negotiating point, but the protest seemed to be ‘why did you say you’d take offers if then you didn’t – and the answer to that bit is as above, because adrec got outnegotiated)

footflaps

I don’t even bother replying to low ball offers, just ignore them completely.

Northwind

Sundayjumper – Member

The collection only / “will you post” thing. Every. Single. Time.

I ask about postage on “collection only” auctions constantly, and about half the time the seller says “Yeah no problem”. It mostly just seems to mean “didn’t really think about it”.

The rules, for me, are I don’t ask if they’ve actually written “collection only” in the description, because that means they’ve thought about it rather than just clicking a button. And of course, you ask first, nicely, you don’t bid first then ask, or demand.

But since so many sellers are happy to do it and just haven’t thought much about it, I don’t see any reason not to ask. And of course, it pushes prices down so it’s a great way to buy stuff.

squirrelking
    Free Member

As Northwind said.

And my username is e***s. You’re welcome.

kerley
    Free Member

User name please Northwind

ossify

kelron – Member
    You were apparently prepared to pay the asking price so why would they settle for less? Though it is weird to ask for offers but not accept any.

If a seller allows best offer I usually make one (reasonable, not annoyingly low). Why not? I assume they’re happy to settle for less. Maybe that makes me tight, I dunno.

Anyway in this case the seller was refusing everything, I was getting annoyed/amused and started having fun. They were refusing offers 50p less than the asking price of something like £20-30 🙄
    So I offered 1p less, assuming they’d finally accept, just so I could leave aforesaid sarcastic comment in the feedback 😛

Regarding the “collection only” issue, I find this is mostly sellers of bulky items who think the postage is really expensive or complicated. Unless they specifically request not to I generally ask before bidding and everyone so far has been happy for me to arrange a courier.
    -Edit: Like wot Northwind said. A quick question before bidding is harmless IMO.

kerley
    Free Member

Really needs to be a separate eBay for people who can’t read listings properly and are happy to waste the sellers time and then one for the rest of us, eBaypro or something. Any stupid questions and the account gets deleted.

kelron
    Free Member

If a seller allows best offer I usually make one (reasonable, not annoyingly low). Why not? I assume they’re happy to settle for less. Maybe that makes me tight, I dunno.

I make offers too, it’s a good way to get some bargains. It’s just that once you start outbidding yourself if the seller doesn’t respond you’re showing them you’re probably willing to pay more than your offer.

theotherjonv

hence my point about ‘best’ offer.

ossify

I make offers too, it’s a good way to get some bargains. It’s just that once you start outbidding yourself if the seller doesn’t respond you’re showing them you’re probably willing to pay more than your offer.

Fair enough, and I’ve just read theotherjonv’s post above which is also a fair point.
    But in some cases there are sellers who have no intention of accepting any offer and just put it there to get people to look at their listing.

chakaping
    Free Member

Just because it’s called “best offer” doesn’t mean that’s what your first offer is.

Otherwise it wouldn’t have the “counter offer” function.

grip
    Free Member

Earlier I received a message asking to swap my rocket frame for a car. I guess if you don’t ask you don’t get…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Often folks, who aren’t semi-professional ebayers,including me, will say collection only, because they have been burned on postage price in the past. So I sometimes say collection only but if someone asks, I will agree to post of they agree at cost price.

Or even better, after winning an item, one cockwomble told me he would be sending his own courier.

Can’t see what is so wrong with this. Surely it is being collected, as you requested.

Kerley, why don’t you just give us your eBay user name and we will all avoid you?

ratherbeintobago

Earlier I received a message asking to swap my rocket frame for a car

Well, at least it wasn’t for a PS3

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Because you have to pack it up and hang about for the courier

bikebouy
    Free Member

I placed a paddlebaord on eBay a few weeks ago, with a reserve (£700) and collection only. The board was 10ft long and 32″ wide, so a bit combersome. I did put in the description “collection only or I will deliver between xTown & yTown” and I’d factored in my time and petrol for my offer to deliver.

Didn’t make the first reserve, but got 11 mails asking if I’d sell it for between £200-£250 cash and posted.

So, bored of these pitiful offers I started to put the price up, so next Relist and the boards now £750 and I then get some more mails offering £300-£350 and posted.

Then I get a string of mails from one bloke moaning at me because I’ve not accepted his offer of £300, so I block him then another mail pops up and it’s the same bloke using another login.. so I block him again.

The auction ends, I then get mails of random offers out of eBay for £600-£700. So, whilst eBay is good for advertising sometimes it pays to be blunt with idiots and wait a little longer.

I sold it off eBay, via PayPal and delivered it within my original destination scope.

wordnumb
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xpzyk8Uo3E[/video]

Northwind

CharlieMungus – Member

Can’t see what is so wrong with this.

I do all my courier drops together on one day, having someone use their own courier means hassle- waiting around for delivery etc. Also means you’re not in control of the postage- what if it’s not delivered? You have no contract with the courier, so if it’s not delivered the buyer can both claim against the courier, and against you as seller, that’s potential Bother.I might do it under the right circumstances but if the seller didn’t raise it til after they bid that’s a dick move regardless.

Also, Kerley is probably hiding a markup in the postage costs.

adrec
    Free Member

Seriously?

Semi, and semi- tongue-in-cheek.

My initial response was to adrec who said

and they kept rejecting his ‘best offer’ because he kept going back, showing that the £50 (or £53) wasn’t actually his best offer after all, because he kept making a better one. Hence my comment.

There is an art to negotiation and when done right doesn’t end up as just reaching the halfway point between your first offer and the original price. But keeping going back and upping the offer to end up at the asking price isn’t it (although the other fella played his hand pretty nigh perfectly)

(look, really I know that best offer on ebay as IRL doesn’t really mean best offer, it’s a negotiating point, but the protest seemed to be ‘why did you say you’d take offers if then you didn’t – and the answer to that bit is as above, because adrec got outnegotiated)

Go on then, Sir Alan, tell me what i should have done rather than offering below the asking price. refuse to budge and miss out on something for the sake of £1?

my point was, he wasnt prepared to take an offer, he wanted the full asking price, yet clicked the ‘or best offer button’ when setting up. ‘or best offer’ as far as i can tell is Ebay speak for ‘open to negotiation’, and that clearly was not the case.

iirc it was getting towards then end of the auction anyway, so i really dont know what more this fella wanted.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/JCcV5sVi5NM[/video]

kerley
    Free Member

will say collection only, because they have been burned on postage price in the past.

I just use Royal Mail/Parcelforce for everything. May not be the cheapest but I charge exactly what it costs so if people don’t want to pay the postage cost then don’t buy the item.

You should never get burned as you can price it up on the Royal Mail website and know exactly what it will cost you to the penny.

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

The missus is selling something £30 or best offer, someone offered £12, she said no, so they offered £15, she countered with £40 bit ****ed off with the low offers. They then came back and said “I think you are ripping people off, these are selling for £30”.

THAT WHY IT’s ON FOR £30

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Ebay and best offers [mild rant]’ is closed to new replies.