Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Ebay and best offers [mild rant]
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Selling a lot on ebay at the moment via ‘best offer’ listing and I’ve finally cracked with the repetitive low offers and people who think negotiating is just starting low and expecting you to meet them halfway.

Started adding 5% to my first counter offer for time wasting 😈

gobuchul
    Free Member

I thought you could set it up to automatically reject bids below a certain amount?

monkeyboyjc

I thought you could set it up to automatically reject bids below a certain amount?

This…..

finbar
    Free Member

Ha. I’m sort of experiencing this at the moment – someone has just submitted a counter-counter offer to meet me halfway, when I already met them halfway (if that makes any sense whatsoever).

I’m going to add a quid on to my first offer instead for the hassle.

yiman
    Free Member

Nowhere near as annoying as stupid offers for listings that don’t have best offers on them.

Item for starting price £120 plus postage…..plenty of time left on the auction….so some nugget messages me and says will you take £100 posted.

I don’t know what it is….buyers assuming all sellers are desperate.

Or even worse “Do you have a buy it now”….then they offer less than the starting price.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve no problems with the ones that submit one lowball offer then accept whatever I counter with. That’s just a lazy way of saying “what’s your best price”, 90% of them then accept a tenner off (a £185 item).

It’s the ones that go £100 (me: £175) £120 (me: £175) £150 (me:£180)

I’d not be bothered if it was a novel item, but it’s definitely a commodity, there’s 50+ of them on there for 20% more than we put ours on for (we’ve just got a lot of stuff to get rid of and don’t want to wait weeks).

xico
    Free Member

Don’t ignore eBay lowball first offers.

I listed a £1450 road bike and someone offered £500, which I politely? rejected. He later drove 200 miles and paid the full price in cash!

Sundayjumper

I recently sold a guitar. Listed it starting at £100, got an email from someone telling me I won’t get that much for it but they would give me £30 if they can come and have a look at it first. Which obviously means they’d suck their teeth, tell me it’s crap and offer me £20.

I ignored them.

It sold for £132.

Ebay is full of idiots & chancers. You just have to accept it.

onandon
    Free Member

I sell lots using buy now or best offer. I usually get emails – I’ll give you £xxx including postage mate .

**** of and just put the offer in the box you knob.
    People are stupid.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’ve just had some seller countered my (reasonable) offer for something with a price 1p less than the buy it now. I’m not sure they are really grasping the best offers thing.

revs1972
    Free Member

Reserve prices pee me off. “You are the highest bidder but haven’t met the reserve price”
    What’s that all about. If there is a minimum you want, then make that your starting price !

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I used to sell quite a bit of stuff on eBay but the past couple of years it seems to have become infested with idiots. Combined with the high fees, I’ve not bothered selling anything in there for ages and doubt that I’d bother again in future.

RegP
    Free Member

Not wanting to hijack the thread but as an ebay novice I have the same thing I have an item on there listed through the list a price not auction.

If I just choose to remove the item and don’t want to sell it, will ebay charge me?

nealglover
    Free Member

Reserve prices pee me off. “You are the highest bidder but haven’t met the reserve price”
    What’s that all about. If there is a minimum you want, then make that your starting price !

It’s an auction site.
    Auctions have a reserve price sometimes, it’s a fairly normal thing ?

z1ppy

Regp, you can just end the sale without a charge (other than you original listings costs), look through the options & choose ‘no longer available’ (or some such option).

gears_suck
    Free Member

If you think ebay users are a PITA try Shpock on for size. There’ll be murder in your heart.

butterbean
    Free Member

I enjoy it.

I’m selling a car on there at the moment. £12k OBO. £12k is about a grand more than WBAC will offer, the cheapest on there is a solid grand more, with a lower spec & yet people off £8k & get indignant & shouty when you just decline 🙂

kayla1
    Free Member

It’s got to the point now where I’ll happily take the piss out of arseholes- and they are arseholes, there’s no prettying it up- asking for best price/lowest price/variation thereof. I asked one chap if he’d be happy if I rocked up at his work asking if he’d do his job for 50% less, for cold hard cash, today like. Dude didn’t understand the point and got a bit sweary…

chakaping
    Free Member

Just use this function OP.

If pricing something fairly at £200 BIN, I’d maybe set it to reject anything below £175.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Just use this function OP.

If pricing something fairly at £200 BIN, I’d maybe set it to reject anything below £175.

That’s a bit boring though. I sometimes put accept offers for a while just to see how little some people think your stuff is worth, then bomb them off or, counter offer within a few pence of the original price if a suitably piss taking offer is received.

chakaping
    Free Member

counter offer within a few pence of the original price

I have been known to do the same.

😀

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Kayla . Totally in awe of your epic piss taking skills .

chestrockwell

I agree that it can be a PITA but coming from the other side I have low balled items I have an interest in but that I’m not that bothered if I win or not (Usually old bikes in slightly worse nick than I like). If it’s not accepted I move on.

There are also idiots on the selling side so what may seem like an offensive offer to them may actually be market value.

On the reserve thing, didn’t ebay used to recommend you did that as the stats showed that on average the prices were higher than those when starting with a high price? I never put a reserve on BTW.

funkmasterp

I was selling a lapsteel a few years ago and actually turned down a sale because a guy annoyed me so much with his incessant bartering. That was Gumtree though and the price said no offers. He just kept offering different prices over a period of three days until he eventually offered the asking price. I then told him somebody else had bought it 😈

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Put a little guitar pre-amp up at midnight the other day. £100 Buy it Now with best offers.

Guy sent a best offer of £100.

Em, sure, no problem!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve got something on there at the minute – big, bulky item which I really don’t want to go to the effort of posting so its listed as collection only.

First message I receive – will you post it?

wzzzz
    Free Member

If you lowball sometimes the seller comes back with a great price.

thenorthwind

I don’t understand what there is to get annoyed about.

Don’t give potential buyers the option to offer anything they like and then call them out for offering something you don’t like. Is that so hard?

ossify

What’s also annoying is sellers who allow best offers but then don’t accept anything lower than 99% of the listed price.

I was making offers on something recently and everything was rejected until finally they accepted 1p lower than the main price (I was having fun by this time).

Left a sarcastic comment in the feedback. That’ll larn ’em 😀

squirrelking
    Free Member

First message I receive – will you post it?

I do that all the time, most people just assume something bulky will be expensive or a hassle to post when in fact a couple of bin bags and some tape is enough for a courier to work with. I ended up with a bike trailer and towbar that way, pretty sure I arranged the courier and the seller was happy.

If someone has categorically stated in the listing that they won’t post then that’s a different story.

kelron
    Free Member

I was making offers on something recently and everything was rejected until finally they accepted 1p lower than the main price (I was having fun by this time).

You were apparently prepared to pay the asking price so why would they settle for less? Though it is weird to ask for offers but not accept any.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

If someone has categorically stated in the listing that they won’t post then that’s a different story.

It is.

kerley
    Free Member

That is what Collection Only means! Shouldn’t need to add it to the listing. If I list something as collection only it is because I want you to collect it. I don’t want to pack it, wrap it, wait in for courier etc,.

Anyone that asks such a stupid question gets added to blocked list and gets no response.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sometime it includes “best offer” by default, and I forget to untick it.

Just sayin’

bencooper
    Free Member

It varies. I’ve got quite a few things from “collection only” auctions, quite often people mean they can’t be bothered or don’t know how to sort out a courier.

handyman153
    Free Member

I will quite happily admit to sending low offers all the time, its what the best offer function is for in my opinion.
    This could make me a bad person, but I would always send an lower offer through first, even if I was happy for the BIN price. If they don’t accept, fine, i’ll just buy it anyway, and if they do accept great!

We sell an awful lot on eBay, and would expect buyers to do exactly the same back to me!

Just last night, a seller had put online a 2014 Macbook for £250. Incredibly dodgy photos, and nothing to say if it was working. After a few questions, he supplied to proof of purchase, and a screenshot of it actually powered up so I was happy.
    I offered £110, and he accepted within seconds.

Does that make me cheap? Maybe….
    But he wouldn’t have accepted if he wasn’t happy…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I sell lots using buy now or best offer. I usually get emails – I’ll give you £xxx including postage mate .

**** of and just put the offer in the box you knob.
    People are stupid.

or, trying to do a deal off-ebay which saves you both ebay and PP fees so you can knock a few quid off the asking price and it’s still a win-win.

Sundayjumper

The collection only / “will you post” thing. Every. Single. Time.

It’s not because I don’t know how to post something. It’s not always entirely to do with wrapping it. It’s the hassle of either waiting for a courier or lugging it to a drop off point. For a large-but-not-very-valuable item I just CBA.

Sometimes despite clearly specifying “Collection only from <location>” in the description people will bid, win, and then ask how much to post it 🙄 Or even better, after winning an item, one cockwomble told me he would be sending his own courier.

People suck.

I now have to further add “please don’t ask about postage or couriers” to make it absolutely clear.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

^ Exactly. The item I have for sale is low value, big and relatively fragile. I honestly can’t be faffed with posting and just want it gone out the garage (plus its something thats reasonably desirable so I’d have thought someone local would want it. As long as I get enough for a takeaway from it, happy days 😀

adrec
    Free Member

also annoying when someone posts ‘or best offer’.

i had one the other week, a set of cranks posted at £55 or best offer, so offered £50, i thought fairly, they rejected, so i offered £53, rejected, £54, rejected.

why put it on sale as ‘or best offer’

idiots

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Ebay and best offers [mild rant]’ is closed to new replies.