Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Eating places Coed Y Brenin?
  • cogglepin

I’ve searched the forum and the only threads are from 6 years ago and I guess things may have changed since then. Looking for somewhere for an evening meal not too far away? May time if that makes any difference. Tia.

qwerty
    Free Member

Book a table in advance. We didn’t. We sat on the kerb in Dolgellau car park eating take out pizza, which was actually ok. The Royal Ship in Dolgellau is nice.

garage-dweller

Dolgellau isn’t far away. I believe there are one or two decent pubs in town.

This is a little further out but have had a few very nice meals there.

https://www.crossfoxes.co.uk/

This is based on meals there last year and the year before while on holiday/biking trips.

garage-dweller

The chippy in Dolgellau was also quite decent from memory if you do end up sitting on a kerb somewhere.

mrhoppy

The George has a nice view and the food is pretty good.

tractionman

the Grapes was good when I was last in the area, but that was a few years ago, might be worth a look

https://www.grapeshotelsnowdonia.co.uk/

coatesy
    Free Member

The Sospan, and Royal Ship in Dolgellau are both good, as is the steak house alongside the main car park. If you want to travel a little further to Barmouth, The Last Inn is really nice, but usually needs booking in advance, and if you want a good chippy, The Mermaid, across the road from the railway station does excellent fish & chips (but don’t feed the seagulls, there’s a massive fine if you get nabbed for it).

cogglepin

Thanks people, will check those out and get a couple booked.

jkomo

There’s a fantastic bistro in the centre of Dolgellau.
    Y Sospan
    Eaten there a couple of times (before lockdown) and it was excellent.
    Amazing lamb obvs and good wine, not mega money.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The steak house in Dolgellau was closing the weekend we were there in September. Not sure whether it was just for the winter or not – their reviews on tripadvisor and the responses of the owner are the thing of legend. TBF, the service we got was hilariously bad but the food was excellent… one of the best burgers I’ve ever had.

We also ate at the Tapas place (had to google it – Tafarn Y Gader). Also brilliant and well worth going to. Seem to remember we ordered basically everything off the menu (there was 8 of us) and when we’d hoovered it all up, ordered the same again 😀

chevychase

Yep, echoing the above, Dol is nice. Barmouth has a few pubs (Last Inn is characterful, Bistro Bermo is nice and a bit more upmarket, the curry house Saffron is really good).

The George is spectacularly located right on the estuary, but it’s a Robinsons’ pub so you get standard (OK>good) pub fayre and you’d better like their beer because they don’t sell any local ale. That’s generally a deal-breaker for me but the pub is in such a good location it’s worth it.

sv

Lemongrass in Dolgellau is fantastic, doesn’t look like much but the food is very good. Sospan is also good.

z1ppy

Eaten at lot of Dolgellau pubs and they all been very good. Even the slightly dodgy looking Torrent Walk Hotel food was very good, not a large select but tasty & friendly atmosphere. A little bit further out of Barmouth heading north is the Norbar, which I rather like too.

theycallmejerry

It’s a little further out, but the Hangin’ Pizzeria in Betws-y-coed is fantastic.

Painey
    Free Member

If the Mawddacch pizza co place is open I recommend going there. They close over winter but should be open again by May. Cross Foxes is OK but rather expensive. A very nice pub though.

cogglepin

I’m going to have a word with the boys and see where they fancy and get a couple of places booked. Thanks again.

chakaping
    Free Member

Went to The Grapes last year, arrived too late for dinner but they made us some nice chips and other peoples’ food looked good.

Would go back for sure.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.