Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Eating out in Dumfries?
  • sam_underhill

Stopping there for a couple of days on the way through to ride Mabie and Ae (or maybe Drumlanrig) for the first time. Got a bike friendly B&B sorted, so where’s good for food and beer?

RobinL

When we’ve stopped there we’ve always had one meal at Sinos, sort of Asian Fusion cuisine … I think.

We’ve tried both Indian and Chinese resturants, not sure which but there’s lots to choose from.

The Granary and Queensway are lively pubs in town …. but we only visit once a year for a couple of nights so I’m no expert ….. 🙂

somafunk

If you like italian then i can recommend my mate Rab’s restaurant Little Italy, he has very good chefs working for him and tell him “Kenny” told you to eat there, and you want a free beer 😉 – that’ll get him spitting feathers……..

The meat is all locally sourced apart from the italian cuts obviously and the seafood is freshly landed and delivered every morning – he has an excellent reputation for the seafood.

Decent coffee as well and michelle knows how to use the espresso machine.

yetidave
    Free Member

go to the Caverns Arms on Buccleuch Street, nice beer.

clubby

^^^^^^. What he said. (Cavens) Camra pub of the year and the food’s fantastic. Worth booking ahead though, I was there last Thursday and by 7 o’clock people were waiting half an hour for a table.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Another + 1 for the Caverns Arms.

Enjoy! 🙂

BenjiM

Another caverns fan here. Good food and beer.

prawny

I recommend stopping in at Marburry Smokehouse on the way back from Mabie for bangin fish and chips. Smoked salmon in batter, tried it today, really good. Just go easy on the salt.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Eating out in Dumfries?

😉

johnmcgowan
    Free Member

Caven Arms is a good shout, The Swan at Kingholm Quay is also worth a try.
    Some ..err…wonderful characters in the pubs in Dumfries, lol.

sam_underhill

Cheers folks.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Some ..err…wonderful characters in the pubs in Dumfries, lol.

Ha, ha! 🙂

Gribs

The Anchor Hotel in Kippford, just south of Dalbeattie does excellent food and the beer’s well kept too.

j40aja
    Free Member

Some of the funniest drink karaoke in the Hole in the Wall in Dumfries I’ve ever seen.
    Drunk local trying to sing LMFAO’s sexy and I know.

BurnBob
    Free Member

Not from there but visited a fair bit. Cavens is decent honest food, clearly loved by the locals judging how busy it always is.

One night we went to an Italian there, can’t remember the name but can’t be that many. I had steak which I think was cooked in a stone oven? Best steak I have ever had. Highly reccomend.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Sounds like brunos

calumf50
    Free Member

We had a fantastic meal in Brunos too.

Trekster

Cavens + very busy. No bookings taken at weekends, just need to hang about if you want to.
    hulabaloo across the river
    The swan which you can cycle to if you are staying in town somewhere
    little Italy
    Ill fume Pizzaria down at the Dock park. the park is currently being renovated so the restaurant is no easily seen.
    The Nith hotel which is 5mls out of town in Glencaple.
    Jewel in the Crown for Indian
    For Chinese the one down English St next to the furniture shop
    Casa Mia

For real ales the New Bizzare on the White Sands or the Tam`o Shanter.
    Character pubs = the Hole`n the Wa on the High Stas recommended above but not till late on!!!
    The Barrel in English St
    The Globe aka the Burns pub which is up a lane near Boots/Marchbanks the bakers.
    Might be some live music in Broons or the Coach and Horses….
    Cheap beer = Witherspoons

If ypou are intending to eat out on a weekend it would be worth choosing somewhere and booking ahead, some of them(hulabaloo)can be booked up weeks in advance.

http://www.dumfriesnow.com/folder-32-eating-and-drinking-in-dumfries

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g186513-Dumfries_Dumfries_and_Galloway_Scotland.html#EATERY_OVERVIEW_BOX

sam_underhill

Thanks Trekster. Very useful.

BenjiM

Ah yes! Hulabaloo, I’d forgotten about that. If you can forgive the strange location and surroundings (like an old civic building/cinema/youth centre) when you go in the food and service is really quite exceptional. We went to Dumfries (stayed at a cottage on the edge of Mabie forest) for our honeymoon and thoroughly enjoyed it. Of course there’s always Dominos if it’s still open! We went to a chinese restaurant down a sidestreet (Hong Kong Star I think) that was a bit crap. It was like having a takeaway on a table although it may have changed since 2010.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Eating out in Dumfries?’ is closed to new replies.