Easyjet weight allowance: Recent experiences please :-)

Home Forum Bike Forum Easyjet weight allowance: Recent experiences please :-)

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Easyjet weight allowance: Recent experiences please :-)
  • I got through with about 33, but then I did have a broken arm so was clearly checking in my hand luggage as well.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

My bike bag does not fit under the desk thingy at check in at Gatwick so they don’t bother weighing it and I take it straight to the oversized gate. On the return via Inverness they clearly have very little to do in their lives and love to weight it again, and then double check and then warn me I’m very close with a disapproving tut. I reserve my special ‘close but no cigar numb nuts’ smug smirk for him – it’s like groundhog day every time I go.

munrobiker

total weight for bike and hold luggage is 32 kilos

Have a search on here- it’s 32kg for the bike, normal allowance for the bag. Bikes are exempt from excess baggage charges.

KateD

I’m guessing there’s going to be an element of luck. I think I’ll err on the side of caution just in case but it’s so tricky, those extra kilos just keep sneaking in my bag.

Our bikes are in cardboard boxes and still weigh in at 20 kilos. How on earth do people manage with proper bike travel cases!

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

Have a search on here- it’s 32kg for the bike, normal allowance for the bag. Bikes are exempt from excess baggage charges.

This is how it used to be in the good old days – it has now changed

new ts&cs

nickewen

Recently flew Edinburgh-Geneva with EJ.

Edinburgh end couldn’t give a monkeys. The bikes did not fit under desk so they told us to weigh them ourselves… “How much does your bike bag weigh Sir?” “Errr… 24kgs”. Away we went.

Geneva actually weighed them but as long the bike bag alone was less than 32kgs didn’t care.

This was 2 weeks ago and they either didn’t care or adhered to the old rules.

Premier Icon Leku
    Subscriber

Geneva actually weighed them but as long the bike bag alone was less than 32kgs didn’t care.

+1

Premier Icon Leku
    Subscriber

+1

KateD

We’re flying from Gatwick to Lyon tomorrow with Easyjet and have established the total weight for bike and hold luggage is 32 kilos. Does anyone know how tight they are on this. If we’re a few kilos over are we going to get stung for extra charges?

KateD

I just called to check and they lead me to this page on their website null
    so the bike can weigh up to 32 kilos and the hold luggage is 20 kilos on top so 52 in total. I’m going to print the page off in case we get any one quibbling it at check in. Munrobiker was right. Phew!

mrmoofo

I fly with them twice a week at the moment. Tips – get there early, be friendly, co-operative etc and the staff will work wonders for you.

Get stroppy or demanding and then they will play by the rules.
    A few weeks ago, I had to fly onto Moscow after the w/e home, so I hadn’t pre booked a bag on the plane. Walked up to check it in … asked how much it was , after explaining why I hadn’t done it on line. The guy said “we’ll do it as hand luggage in the hold” . So free gratis.

If the flight is very full, then you may well be charged

whatnobeer

Flew back from Geneva a few ago, bike bag 29kg, normal bag 14kg. Totally fine. As Munrobiker said (and easy jet), 32Kg limit for bike, 20kg for hold bag.

@KateD

I think I managed to get to the same page, and I think you are refering to:
    The bicycles are exempt from additional excess baggage charges.

Its not really explicitly clear is it?!…

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

I just called to check and they lead me to this page on their website null
    so the bike can weigh up to 32 kilos and the hold luggage is 20 kilos on top so 52 in total. I’m going to print the page off in case we get any one quibbling it at check in. Munrobiker was right. Phew!

Sorry, he is very definitely not right – there is nothing on that page that ‘trumps’ what’s on the link I put above. That was the way the rules were up until about 9 months ago. Fortunately (as you have just found out) all their customer care staff and people at the gates are not up to speed with the new rules (not my words, but those of the easyjet employee I spoke to) so you might still get away with it.

32kg is a silly low all up weight – you think it’s hard with a bike – try a windsurfboard/sail(s)/mast/boom etc!

What Easyjet say….

what you pay for – 0 bags, 1 sporting item

Baggage allowance-

Total allowance 1 item @32kg total
    This item must be a genuine sporting good as defined

what you pay for – 1 bag, 1 sporting item

Baggage allowance-

Total allowance 2 items @ 32kg total
    1 item must be a genuine sporting good as defined
    You may distribute weight between items as desired

KateD

Yes, this is what the customer service lady referred me to and no, it’s really not that clear. I don’t know why they have to make it so ambiguous.

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy
    Subscriber

That T&C change was done a while ago – however I think it’s more they forgot to put the bike weight exemption in rather than targeting bikes specifically. The FAQ section still shows that bikes are exempt from the excess baggage charge http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4040/kw/bicycle
    So the old point remains and 50Kg total, 32Kg max bike/20Kg max hold is still valid.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

32kg will be the maximum weight for any bag, this is to do with what people are allowed to lift and carry. If you’re over that they can get you to repack.

Premier Icon mrbotticelli
    Subscriber

Flew to Geneva and back with Easyjet the other week and had the same concerns about luggage allowances.

I emailed Easyjet and got an email reply nextday that confirmed I was allowed a bike box with a maximum weight of 32kg and a hold bag with a maximum weight of 20kg, with the combined weight of both not exceeding 50kg.

Had no problems on either journey despite being very close to the limit.

KateD

@mrbotticelli exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you for everyone’s input on this.

Trimix

Reading this in expectation of flying to do the Roc later this year got me looking at Sleazy jets website.

Can anyone give me the email address I can use to ask them, as mrbotticelli did.

Cheers.

Premier Icon portlyone
    Subscriber

We were well over 32kg for our bike boxes coming back from Geneva (a couple of year ago now), they shrugged as no doubt it’s not unusual. Other hold bag was well below 20kg though.

thegman67

I go tomorrow from Edinburgh and it is 32kg bike bag and one hold bag 20kg

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy
    Subscriber

But don’t go over 50Kg combined or you may get charged.
    I’m surprised Portlyone got through with a bag well over 32Kg though, that limit is baggage handlers health & safety and I thought applied EU-wide, it’s not up to the airline to decide to flout it as the baggage handlers aren’t usually employed by them.

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

http://www.easyjet.com/en/sports-equipment

1 bag, 1 sporting item

Total allowance 2 items @ 32kg total
    1 item must be a genuine sporting good as defined
    You may distribute weight between items as desired

hmmm

also here
    http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/baggage

One passenger travelling buys a bag and an additional sporting allowance. This gives an allowance of 2 items (which must include 1 sporting item), at a total weight of 32kg. However, if the sporting item is 18kg and the bag is 14kg then that’s fine with us!

sounds like a combined 32Kg limit to me
    I’m looking into it as I have an easyjet trip later in the year – currently hoping to get away with bike bag and hold luggage.

silly question: can you getaway with wearing your (xc) helmet through airport/flight as a hat? don’t want it squashed in bike bag and bit bulky for hand luggage. Also will spd shoes upset security?

Yetiman

Taken from their T&C’s.

20.4.9 The maximum total Hold Luggage weight of 50kg includes any musical instruments, sports equipment, bicycles, etc (see Article 20.5 (Baggage, Musical Instruments) Article 20.6 (Baggage, Sports Equipment) and Article 20.7 (Baggage, Bicycles) below for more information), subject to available space.

20.4.10 The maximum acceptable weight for each single piece of Hold Luggage is 32kg. Hold Luggage which exceeds this weight will not be accepted for carriage.

So basically you’re allowed to take up to 50kg of hold luggage onto an Easyjet plane, with a max weight allowance of 32kg per single item.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Yetiman- true but that’s maximum weight, it doesn’t say anything about whether you have to pay for it!

Premier Icon big_scot_nanny
    Subscriber

Just as another recent experience (BSL-EDH-BSL), 32kgs for bike bag, 20kg for other hold bag. No issues. Although the Edinburgh numpties were a hoot (as mentioned above)

“Please take the bike bag over there to get weighed, we cannot do it here”

bsn walks over to scales to find out it costs a quid (WTF?). Don’t have a pound coin. Walks back over to check in desk knowing full well there is a lot more stuff in the bag than on the way out, and then it was on the 32kg limit.

“the machine said 32kg” said with a smile 😀

“OK, thanks, please take over to the excess baggage. Just as well it is onl 32kgs as the belt stops working if it is heavier. Can you take anything out?”

“can I take a wheel as carry-on?”

bsn walks off whilst oranged faced lady still giving a very puzzled look.

No issues, no idea how much it really weighed.

What a flawless system! 😆

Kev

EDIT: this was 2 weeks ago BTW

32Kg is quite a bit. My bike bag with some tool, my shoes, lots of additional packaging was only 21kg. It was a xc hardtail, but 32kg should be plenty for most.

Premier Icon rickon
    Subscriber

So I’m off on EJ in a few weeks, and my proper bike a proper bike bag weighs in at 26kg. So I’d have 6kg for luggage… not very much really.

Premier Icon big_scot_nanny
    Subscriber

I had my 5:10 impacts in the box, which were wet, so to be fair they accounted for about 5kg. Each.

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

Do we not have this argument every year.
    32kg for bike and 20kg for other bag is the correct answer.

Yetiman

Right. I’m just off the phone with Easyjet and a very helpful lady confirmed the following…..

If you have paid for 1 x hold bag, and 1 x bike, then the total max weight of both cannot exceed 50kg. The max weight of the hold bag is 20kg, and the max weight of the bike is 32kg.

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

Do we not have this argument every year.

dunno not been away for a while so haven’t been reading these threads 🙂

32kg for bike and 20kg for other bag is the correct answer.

unlike what the website says

just off the phone with Easyjet and a very helpful lady confirmed the following…..

any chance of her name and role within easyjet so we can quote her? (only joking but if It were me, I’d have got her info)

I know I’m being cynical but I’ve had difficulties with other stuff like this before, get told one thing in advance from head office then something completely different by the person on the ground at the specific time.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

Useless knowledge….

A319 max take off weight is ” about” 75 tonnes, carries “about” 130 passengers. Max zero fuel is about 58 tonnes and passengers are est at about 100kg each ( which is why airlines aren’t that bothered about fatties paying more), so you get about 5tonnes of luggage on a A319, which is why you’re restricted to luggage of roughly 35kg each ( plus H&S rules about handling big single weights)

If you wondered at all, why you’re not weighed…

Scamper

Our group had this `argument’ a few weeks ago flying to Geneva – I was convinced their T and C’s said 32kg combined ie 12 extra for a bike, but got through no problems with about 35kg combined. I believe a mate rang Customer services who mentioned the 50kg.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Easyjet weight allowance: Recent experiences please :-)’ is closed to new replies.