Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Easyish road ride in Cornwall?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a road ride that’s near Falmouth (or by one of the train stations within an hour of it) and relatively easy? My wife can handle a ride of 20-30 miles no problem but has managed a max of around 2000ft of ascent over that distance and isn’t amazing at steepness (although I appreciate we’ll struggle to avoid that here). A round-about route to St Mawes looks good but has anyone got any other suggestions?

tonyplym
    Free Member

Wherever you’re road riding in Devon and Cornwall be particularly careful at the moment – lots of overly wide caravans being towed around the narrow lanes by grockles and emmets . . . there have been a few too many nasty accidents in recent weeks.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Noted, ta. My average speed last night out around Helston was so much lower than usual anyway – you just can’t let loose on the descents here.

jam-bo

Shortest coast to coast in the country?

Devoran cycle track.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

No use for this hol, but for future hols, I was shocked at how flat the terrain was between Burnham On Sea and the western edge of the Mendips this last week.

Practically an ironing board! 😆

drew27
    Free Member

Bissoe trail (Devoran) is flat but not really ‘road’, um, multi-surface perhaps. Probably fine on a road bike.

Likewise for the Camel Trail.

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/cameltrail

And the Pentewan Trail in St.Austell. Not a great distance but again flat and multi-surface.

These are the only flat routes that I’m aware of but to go on the proper roads, I struggle to think anything flat-ish.

Someone with more local road knowledge might be along.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Not sure how bad it would be but it would be quite a nice ride from Falmouth to Roskillys Ice cream farm in St Kerverne taking in the Halford Ferry, it’s about 18km there from Falmouth.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Easyish road ride in Cornwall?’ is closed to new replies.