• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by TomB.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Easyish/hardtail friendly North Lakes route wanted (Back o Skiddaw?)
  • SSBonty
    Free Member

Planning a weekend in the lakes with a group of mixed abilities and bikes, from mid 90s XC hardtails up. Staying near Keswick so thought Whinlatter one day and a natural route the other.

Any thoughts for an interesting but not too technical route in the area? MBR recommend a version of the Back O Skiddaw loop for hardtails here:

Five routes ideal for hardtails

Anyone know the trails in that – I guess the southern section is the Cumbria Way to Skiddaw House and then towards Mosedale, what are the trails like and is that going to be busy on a July weekend?

Thanks!

whitestone
    Free Member

That loop is mostly estate/old mining tracks with a big climb up past Whitewater Dash to Skiddaw House. The route down Mosedale is singletrack for the first few km but think moorland rather than trail centre, it’s not flowy and you have to work at it.

Should be fine IMO

SSBonty
    Free Member

Thanks, good to know. I’ve looked at the Borrowdale Bash route but a few of the descents look potentially a bit much for the range of skills and bikes in the group. This one seems like it would be a decent natural loop with good views as contrast to Whinlatter the other day.

One option to avoid ~10 extra miles of road would be to go on footpaths straight from Scales where we are staying up to the track on the north side of the river Glenderamackin to Mungrisdale; are those tracks reasonably rideable?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hodgynd
    Free Member

If doing the MBR route I would start at Blencathra Centre and gently climb up to Skiddaw House before turning down to Mosedale and continuing the route from there ..it also gives an enjoyable return back from Skiddaw House .

Parking is limited at Blencathra Centre though ..

martinhutch

I would start at Blencathra Centre

I’d agree with this. You want the BW on the east of the valley leading up to Skiddaw House. The one on the other side (Lonscale Fell) is techy and quite serious in a couple of spots.

Having said that, from Scales you can go either way, both will be fine.

muzz
    Free Member

Back o Skiddaw is a favourite route of mine.

It is a good day out for an experienced rider and will be tough for the novice, but certainly manageable.

Dry weather will make the riding much easier.

Take care on Lonscale fell.

Marvel at the seclusion of Skiddaw YHA and the quiet northern view of Cumbria from the most northerly section of the ride.

See who can get furthest up dash falls climb before getting off.

Enjoy

TomB

I’ve done that route on a cross bike, it’s fun, although fitness may be more of an issue than bike handling. Agree with start/finish at Blencathra centre. From scales, an alternative would be the gated road to mungrisdale then pick up the route at Mose dale- adds distance at start and finish all on tarmac.

The footpath you are looking at is a push/carry up to mousethwaite Combe, then probably not that rideable until nearly at mungrisdale- might see a bit of a sense of humour failure from the group!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Easyish/hardtail friendly North Lakes route wanted (Back o Skiddaw?)’ is closed to new replies.