Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Easy jet & bikes – what's the latest
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

Looking at going out to Riviera Bike for a week in April.

Best flights look to be Sleazyjet.

There will be 2 of us, each with a bike. Bikes packed up, usually seem to come in around the 25-30kg mark. Then there’s a kit bag (could be one between the 2 of us)

So looking at the EJ T&Cs, We can take a bag and 1 sporting item each (pay extra for the sports kit), but that only gives us a max of 32kg each, which I very much doubt will work.

So how are people managing it at the mo? At £11/kg excess weight, I can see us getting well & truly bent over…

Cheers,

Jon

mikewsmith
    Free Member

more T&C’s to read or someone said it was in the FAQ’s

anyway it was only about a week ago on here

Milkie
    Free Member

You pay for your bike luggage (£25 each way or something) which gives you upto 32kg for the bike bag.

You pay for your luggage bag which gives you 20kg.

So that’s a total of 52kg, but do not go over with either.. My bike bag was 31kg and they were pretty sure it wasn’t just a bike in the bag, but let it through fine.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Got it

Cool. That makes life easier!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and the usual they will refuse to carry anything over 32kg FULL STOP as noone is allowed to lift it.

Usual knee under bag rules apply though and inner tubes in the pockets….

kimbers

yup flew with em last summer and my dh bike was just under 32kg with some spare tyres and a few other bits , id weighed it to be sure
    but 32kg is plenty!

they did comment that I was very close to the limit

teef
    Free Member

You pay for your bike luggage (£25 each way or something) which gives you upto 32kg for the bike bag.

I don’t think that’s right – the £25 buys you an extra 12kg on top of the 20kg luggage allowance making a total of 32kg.

easyjet web site:

http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4039/kw/sports

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Return from the Mega – 31.8 in the Bike bag, 21 in the hold bag (knee under too) 4 inner tubes in the pockets along with anything heavy but non offensive…

Got close with BA once as it had rained for the whole week in Morzine (shocking eh!) and everything was soaked.

scruff
    Free Member

Well you can read into the T&Cs you can take over 32kg but putting it into reality when at the head of a queue is pot luck or you’ll need to show them the print of bikes being exempt and get them to understand there own rules, good luck with that.

A few of our lot were well over 32 last year and got away with it. Geneva have seemed stricter than UK last few times.

Take your happy face to the queue 8)

FuzzyWuzzy

I wish people would stop confusing these threads with what they ‘think’ they’ve interpreted the (admittedly poorly worded) T&Cs.

Let me summarise:
    1). hold bag gives you 20Kg
    2). paying for a bike gives you a 32Kg allowance for it (the key phrase is excess charges do not apply to bikes so although it might nominally be a 12Kg sports allowance you can in fact take a bike bag up to 32Kg)
    3). Total allowance per passenger is 50Kg so you cannot max out the hold and bike bag allowances, you need to lose 2Kg somewhere

For the OP – if you are sharing a hold bag then it can be 20Kg and whoever the hold bag is checked in under their bike bag needs to be 30Kg or less and the other person’s can be 32Kg.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A few of our lot were well over 32 last year and got away with it.

On this one you are very lucky as there is a fixed limit for what the baggage handlers can handle for their safety.

Sandwich

For the OP – if you are sharing a hold bag then it can be 20Kg and whoever the hold bag is checked in under their bike bag needs to be 30Kg or less and the other person’s can be 32Kg.

You used to be able to get around this by buying both seats in the one transaction, that way both people named on the printout get 20kg each. If you bought flight tickets separately and shared a bag you would only get 20kg. (Tested at peak time on a queue in Luton about 6 years ago, we offered to re-pack in the queue and they weren’t interested and let it go, everyone (6) in the party had purchased separately but our luggage added up to 120kg).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Easy jet & bikes – what's the latest’ is closed to new replies.