Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Easy DIY mudguards.
  • chief31
    Free Member

I read lots on all types of mudguards and it ranged from cheapie a that broke easily to expensive ones that lasted longer but still wernt all that great.
    So I decided to make my own with some bits I had lying in the garage for years.
    Very effective and won’t shatter if I flick a big stone or similar up at it.

matt_outandabout

teeeeeeej!

chief31
    Free Member

?

matt_outandabout

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/profile/tandemjeremy

You have a predecessor who made homemade mudguards:

commuter by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

chief31
    Free Member

Yes I’m sure there have been many over the long years.

LoCo
    Free Member

Best one I’ve seen is a full length of guttering from headtube to bb complete with sharp edges 😯

chief31
    Free Member

Wanted to keep the front as small but effective as possible.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

What’s the second photo of?

chief31
    Free Member

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? NO it’s a rear mudguard.

martinhurton
    Free Member

Nice…think I’ll stick to my crud catcher though 8)

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Chief after gently brushing his calf against his mudguard whilst dismounting…

chief31
    Free Member

“Chief after gently brushing his calf against his mudguard whilst dismounting…

I DON’T THINK SO. NICE TRY THO. 🙄

eyerideit
    Free Member

I saw a guy in CyB at christmas who made mudguards out of an old tyre.

chief31
    Free Member

It don’t matter what their made from as long as they do the job.
    Even better when it’s free too.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? NO it’s a rear mudguard.

You’ve put a rear mudguard two foot above the height of the rear wheel? How effective are you finding that?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Seriously though, what are they made of? Looks like ally sheet or something?

I have the Crud ones that have soft rubberised edges so they don’t slash me to bits in a crash.

woody2000

Look good, though as hinted at above there are some sharp looking edges on that front guard that I wouldn’t fancy catching.

wwaswas

I’ve never seen cables so long they have to be run under the downtube before they can go up to the cable guides.

chief31
    Free Member

Does it matter where I run the cables on my own bike then?
    They are made from guttering so there won’t be any slashed legs as they bend.
    I would have thought that if you fall from your bike on the trail the last of MY worries would be my mudguards hitting me
    It would be all the stones rocks and branches and what ever else maybe on the floor your about to hit.
    Still as the old proverb says “IF YOU AIN’T GOT NOTHING SENSIBLE TO SAY! SAY SOMETHING STUPID”
    😆

paperjohn1
    Free Member

How bout some rev flappers from cornflake boxes pegged to the seatstays?
    Mega chavtastic!

jam-bo

surely it;s easy to log onto CRC and buy some that work and don’t look shit.

woody2000

Touchy much OP?

Still as the old proverb says “IF YOU AIN’T GOT NOTHING SENSIBLE TO SAY! SAY SOMETHING STUPID”

I prefer this one:

Pride comes before a fall

😀

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I remember a while back on some superscrimpers type programme (maybe superscrimpers) there was some guy with a tasty full carbon Specialized FS bike and he was really chuffed about having made a front guard from a bit of drainpipe cut in half.

Looked utter gash.

I mean I’m all for bodging and I have a chopped up milk carton cable tied to the fork on my hardtail, mucky nutz style and it does the job. But there are limits!

chief31
    Free Member

So you saying they look shit then jam bo?

chief31
    Free Member

Milk carton? Did that looked **** rubbish. I’d rather be wet and splattered in dirt.

jam-bo

yes.

chief31
    Free Member

Question. So. Does it matter where you position a mudguard as long as its effective.
    Answer. NO.

wwaswas

you’ll struggle to find people who say that rear one looks good 😉

chief31
    Free Member

Looks good vs does what it’s supposed to do. Yeah right.

wwaswas

thing is, it’s not binary is it?

Most people want ‘Looks good and does what it’s supposed to’ – there are any number of relatively inexpensive things availabel that look better and work better than what you have.

Most of us also choose not to ride round on a bike with the sweepings from the garage floor zip tied to it.

wwaswas

man comes on forum inviting comments on home made mud guards.

people say ‘they’re not that attractive and look like the sharp edges would hurt in a crash’.

man takes umbrage

*sighs*

chief31
    Free Member

Man comes on site saying he’s made some cheaply quickly made no cost mud protection and gets pisstakers.
    FACT.

freeagent
    Free Member

They look S**t, the front one will cut your leg if you crash, and the rear one will be as good as useless at catching mud, but if it makes you happy….

matt_outandabout

Mind your language and abuse.

jkomo

Crikey

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Oooooooh this one is good.

Op great to post on an open forum, but bear in mind you will get varied responses. Take them as they come. You posted them up. If you didnt want people to say anything you shouldnt have posted it.
    Personally I think they look awful and would not consider making them and putting them on mine but if they work for you fair play. 😀

maccruiskeen

For most people this cycling thing is a fashion parade, thats why people on this forum are forever posting pictures of their bikes. Cycling is a fashion business so what a mudguard looks like its doing is more important than what it actually is doing – to most people.

In purely practical terms the front guard is wider than it needs to be and the rear one could be a third of the length you’ve got there and do the same job – any muck that would hit the rear two thirds of the guard would miss you.

gonzy
    Free Member

Man comes on site saying he’s made some cheaply quickly made no cost mud protection and gets pisstakers.
    FACT.

are you Rafa Benitez? 😆

dantsw13

Mucho bitchiness here!!

Personally, I think the front one looks good – if it works, result!!

That rear one though, lower would be more effective, and it certainly isn’t pretty!

atlaz
    Free Member

Surely you bang your knees/legs onto that front one constantly

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Easy DIY mudguards.’ is closed to new replies.