Easy cycle routes in Scotland

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Easy cycle routes in Scotland
  • Kunstler

No, not for me. I’m hardcore intermediate.

I’m looking for a multi-day route to do with a lad I support who has autism. We had a respite trip to Aviemore last year and had a good day riding hire bikes around Rothiemurchus for five hours with plenty of stops. Our route that day was the logging way to Glenmore, around Loch Morlich, around Loch an Eilean and back to Aviemore. That’s the limit of what we can do in terms of path terrain – some of it was a bit rough for him and a few gradients made him get off and push (I know they are very gentle and short) so we don’t really want any sustained gradients. Having said that we did walk/scramble the Fiacaill ridge to Cairngorm the previous day.

I had wondered about hiring bikes and riding the sustrans route from Pitlochry to Aviemore over three days as I’ve done all of that at different times though I’m not sure how that breaks up with accomodation.There could be nicer routes though.
    What’s the Spey Way like? Following a river I’d guess it’s fairly gentle.

We would need return hire bikes by train as we don’t have vehicular support. Anywhere else we could consider? It could be pretty much anywhere. Highlands would be best.

Great Glen way? Not ridden it, but am planning to. Sounds like a good track, not sure about accommodation on the way, we were planning to do it in a day, but guess you would need a couple of days.

Edit: Thread here…

Kunstler

That’s a really good one but he did the GGW as a walk last summer. It was a very successful trip but we’re looking somewhere different for the cycling.

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

I did a section of the Great Glen Way at easter. From Drumnadrochit to the highest point of the way. It wasn’t what I’d call easy, it was properly steep in places for the first couple of miles. Great fun on the way back down mind you. (mind you you’ve already walked it so its a bit of a moot point)

What about the Southern Upland Way? Its a long route but you could tackle a good chunk of it in a few days.

Lots of really nice Sustrans routes in the Trossachs too

2tyred

Deeside way (Ballater to Aberdeen along the old railway line), is really nice – there’s a bike hire shop (Bike Station?) right at the start in the middle of Ballater. Loads to explore not far from the path.

http://www.cyclegrampian.co.uk/trail/deeside.html

Premier Icon slowoldgit

Aviemore to Boat of Garten would suit. After that the route to Nethy Bridge, or past the bird place on the minor road and a loop back to Glenmore, and then S towards Feshiebridge, Inshriach Forest and the station at Kingussie?

The Dava Way north of Grantown looks good for the right day, but takes you far from the railway.

scotroutes

It’s a pity that guy druidh doesn’t visit here anymore 😉

Speyside way is “okay”. There are some sections with lots of gates that will try your patience (especially if you are using panniers), some of the routing is a bit dubious and the easier bits (along the old railway track) are often in a cutting, restricting your views. I always say that the SSW feels like it’s barely “tolerated” by the landowners.

I’ve just come back from a wee trip that might suit….from Callander to Killin is almost all off-road and that’s 25 miles. However, you can actually avoid the road section from Strathyre to Balquihidder by using a little bit of local path by the river and then getting on to the old railway track. Depending on how much “push”-biking he is up for, you could actually start at Milngavie, take the WHW to Drymen, push up the hill then take the Rob Roy way to Aberfoyle to pick up NCN 7 (and another wee push from there). That’s got to be 55 miles or so in total. The only problem is that you end up in Killin with no railway station nearby. Still, let me know when you’d be doing it and I might be able to offer a lift back in exchange for some beer tokens 🙂

Let me know if you’d like to see this on a map or a GPX track.

AlasdairMc

This is quite a long way away, but what about a route taking in a few trail centres way up North? Start at Dingwall, then ride to Bonar Bridge on the Sustrans on quiet roads. Balblair and Carbisdale Castle trails are very nearby, as is the SYHA. Then ride to Rogart and stay at Sleeperzzz. Final day get a few early miles in to Golspie (or even get the train there), and ride the trail there.

Tea and medals, or chips on the beach, and then train back down.

Each stop is at or near a train station so you can go as far as you want. Just be sure to book your bike on the train as it’s the return for LeJogs

b r

What about Glentress?

scotroutes

kunstler wrote:

I’m looking for a multi-day route

🙄

😆

Kunstler

Thanks folks. Some interesting ideas there. It kind of needs to be kept fairly simple. There’s not a lot of room for compromise. I think I’d probably need to bring my trailer to move our luggage – which could be a bit of leveler for the riding difference between us.

I did the sustrans route to Killin a couple of years back and loved it. The rail link up at either end is a tricky one though. Thanks for the offer of transport Colin – I’d take it up if were just me but there might be disclosure complications with it being work.

What are the gradients like on the route Alasdair?

There would be one perfect route but it’s not completed yet and no indication of when it will but it looks like years. Oban – Fort William on sustrans 78. You can hire bikes from Nevis Cycles for a one way trip.
    It’s a shame there’s no safe alternative route to the road as the traffic can be terrifying for a competent cyclist. The offroad tracks that I know are not suitable. I’ve been studying maps waiting for the ideal route to jump out at me.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Easy cycle routes in Scotland’ is closed to new replies.