Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Easy bivvy spot central Scotland
  • didnthurt

I’m thinking of taking my 9 year old son wild camping for the first time over the next couple of weeks. Just looking for some recommendations for nice spots easily cycled into.

We live in West Lothian so am looking for somewhere not more than an hours drive away, so borders, fife or Perthshire are within reach.

looking for a spot with about a 5 míle cycle in but this can be a bit further as long as there isn’t a lot of climbing.

Your help will be much appreciated 👍

scotroutes

Pentlands OK?

didnthurt

I did think about the Pentlands but couldn’t really think of a nice quiet spot.

scotroutes

You have a PM

didnthurt

Cheers, I’ll check it out, could do a do it one evening after work so I know where I’m going.

bawbag
    Free Member

It might be a bit too far but I’ve always quite fancied giving this a go, might do it before the end of the holidays. There will be more recommendations on the site though.

Go East Lothian Trail

rakas

Pmed you a lovely spot near Callander👍

didnthurt

Cheers rakas, I’ll take a look.

didnthurt

Thanks bawbag. Id forgotten about the East Lothian trail.

argee

Dunkeld Estates, you can do a tour of the loch ordie, lochan oisinneach mor, etc, you can park up in the car park next to loch of lowes, then cycle up through the lochs, there’s a bothy (Sarah’s?) between Loch Ordie and Lochan Oisinneach mor, which can provide a nice little bivvy location, with shelter if required and it had a stove and so on, think it also has an outside well from memory, but not been up there for over a decade.

This was my old local route, lovely scenery, there are some hard climbs as you’d expect, but you can take alternate paths around the peaks to get between the lochs, Dunkeld is a couple of miles away at any time, with lot of provisions and so on.

didnthurt

I’ve ridden around the lochs from Dunkeld a few years ago, I remember that the boat house was beautiful in summer. I’ll definitely add this to the list. Thanks.

blitz

PM’d you a spot near Kenmore

didnthurt

Cheers Blitz, I’m actually in Kenmore for work on Friday so could take my bike to have a look.

My boy is quite excited, mostly for campsite marshmallows.

matt_outandabout

PM’d you a spot near Kenmore

Rich pickings around there, you can find spaces all over the place.

didnthurt

Took my son to the Pentlands for his first bike packing trip (thanks scotroutes for the info).

He loved it and so aim to check out the other spots advised from folk off here.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

scotroutes

Glad he liked it and the spot worked out.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.