• This topic has 33 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Easton Havoc carbon bars – opinions and experiences?
  • wl
    Free Member

Anyone running them, crashing them, loving them, regretting buying them etc etc? Interested in those who use them for stuff like aggressive xc, all-mountain and light DH. Ta.

Northwind

I’ve got a set on the dh bike, not really a lot to say about them, they replaced a set of Answers which I bent, these ones haven’t done anything interesting. Supposedly the Havens are as strong as the old Monkeylite DHs, which were strong like ox, and the Havocs are stronger still. So presumably we need a new scale with more oxen.

(my old Monkeylite DHs- bike fell off the gondola at fort william, up near the top, and fell about the height of my house to the ground below, onto the bars… Knocked chunks out of the clearcoat but they didn’t even wince. Still going strong on the hardtail now)

dans160
    Free Member

They’re awesome. Have a set on my trail bike and the 35mm version on the dh bike, I run wider bars on the dh bike.

richmtb

No experience of the tougher Easton bars but the XC ones are pretty bullet proof.

I’ve got a set of Monkeylites that are getting on for 10 years old and have taken loads of punishment. Also got a set of EC70 31.8mm bars and they are rock solid.

I would imagine Havens are bombproof and Havocs are indestructible

rewski
    Free Member

Can only comment on Carbon havens which to be honest are probably more suited to what you’re after by your description above, got mine paired up with a haven stem, very light, tough and no flex or buzz combo.

iainc

I have just ordered a set of alloy ones, so liking this thread !

rewski
    Free Member

My only gripe would be the decals rubbed off and got a bit messy around the brake and reverb lever.

Duane…
    Free Member

Got a set of carbon Havocs on my Meta AM, seem fine. Had some pretty heavy cases (as in fully bottomed front and rear, and then threw me over the bars) which I thought might have been the end of them, but they were fine.

In action;
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/294883

nickc

Same as rewski, havens are perfect for me, havoc are supposed to be built like the proverbial outhouse

Duane…
    Free Member

^ I was going to get the Havens but wanted wider than 711mm, hence having to get the Havocs.

rewski
    Free Member

Nice vid that. I want to go riding now. 😉

711 plenty wide enough for me, I’m a bit old school.

andyl
    Free Member

ian – cancel them and go for the carbon 😉

I have the carbon Havocs on my C456 after the Havens were a bit too narrow and I kept finding myself with my pinky fingers off the side of the grips when riding.

There isn’t really much to say as they just do what you want. There is no flex that I can feel – there is more flex in my front wheel and forks than them things. The angles suit me perfect and they are definitely not as harsh as my previous EA70 bars, it’s more a case of you don’t notice them as there is no flex and no buzz. My only gripe is they are heavy compared to the haven for the extra 39mm but the havens did feel silly light for what you can do with them and 230g is still not really heavy and is more reassuring.

100% recommended from me.

wl
    Free Member

Cheers everyone for this – sounds good. Havens are too narrow and I’m not bothered about logos rubbing off. Would also appreciate the confidence inspiring extra strength of Havocs, even if I never actually use it. I best get saving up…

davosaurusrex

I’d like a set of these if only they did them in a higher rise. About £80 on Merlin at the moment!

ninenailspete
    Free Member

They’re on a pretty good price at Merlin at the moment. £80 at checkout (they apply an extra £9 discount) is cheaper than anywhere else I’ve seen.

Easton Havoc carbon bars at Merlin

honourablegeorge

Absolutely love them, have them on two bikes, possibly a third soon.

Did four days of uplift DH on them, no sore hands. Did three days on the same forks & trials with Sunline alloy bars and my hands were in bits. There’s definitely something to this carbon lark.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Got them on my Nicolai 29er and I really like them. This is my first foray into carbon bars, and despite their lightness they feel utterly bombproof which inspires confidence. I thought I’d end up cutting them down but I’m loving the full 800mm width 😀

legend
    Free Member

Duane… – Member
    ^ I was going to get the Havens but wanted wider than 711mm, hence having to get the Havocs.

I bought Havens 🙁 didn’t think i’d want bars as wide as the DH bike – I do.

Northwind

I bought Havocs and cut them down to 711mm 😉 We should totes have hooked up.

Do you want the ends? You could araldite them on.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Had them a good 6 months now and, as I think everyone else has said, they’re ace. Buy them now!

guitarhero
    Free Member

Just bought a set of the £70 haven carbon bars from Merlin. At that price it would have been rude not too.
    They look amazing with the new subtle graphics

Slogo
    Free Member

I got a set in the merlin sale last year! love the width!

wl
    Free Member

How much in the sale, Slogo?

the_lecht_rocks

ran CF Havoc on both FS and HT for the last 14 months – excellent bars, but of course they are Easton !

shindiggy
    Free Member

Got some Havocs on my C456, they are super good.

j40aja
    Free Member

I ordered a set of carbon Havens yesterday from Merlin and they arrived today, great service. Only bought them because I fancy trying a wider bar than my 685mm wide Easton Monkeylites.
    Unfortunately I had to return them as there was a flaw in the carbon which resulted in an indentation which would probably have been fine but would always have wondered if there was a weak point!

They’re sending me another set and refunding the return postage (if they agree that it’s a warranty claim).

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Found the wider bar to be great + 55mm stem great combo. Don’t over tighten 🙂

bruneep

They’re on a pretty good price at Merlin at the moment. £80 at checkout (they apply an extra £9 discount) is cheaper than anywhere else I’ve seen.

…and the 3% cash back via quidco

kiwifiz
    Free Member

£69.00 with new stealth graphic carbon haven???? SOLD…..thank you Mr Merlin. As has been said, would be rude not to 😀

nickc

711mm plenty wide enough in the chilterns, otherwise you’re in the undergrowth!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

3 miles, 1 crash, written off bars 🙁

Northwind

Actually broken? Or just damaged/concerned?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

a deep scratch that was looked at by merlin and importers and replaced (crash replacement scheme)

hora
    Free Member

Bought Havocs 🙂

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Easton Havoc carbon bars – opinions and experiences?’ is closed to new replies.