Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Easton ARC or DT EX471 rims?
  • RickDraper
    Free Member

Looking to have a new wheel set built up and I’m stuck trying to pick which rim to use. Been looking at the DT EX471 and the Easton ARC 27 or 30.

What would people recommend and why?

bungalistic
    Free Member

Really like my wtb i25 kom rims I have on my smuggler, had a 650b i23 kom previously and that was good too

hatter

Why the EX 471’s over the new DT XM 481’s that were in Fresh Goods this week, they’re lighter than the 471’s and 5 mm wider!

RickDraper
    Free Member

^thats one of the reasons I asked! Might have missed something like that.

A mate has the new ARC 30 and I have to say they look really nice.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Had the Arc 30’s built onto a set of 350’s and they were flawless. With plain Guage spokes they built up around the 1900g marker in 650b and were mega stiff. Only sold them because I bought a 29er

poah
    Free Member

the EX471 are the same rims as the ex1501 wheels and are pretty tough. the ARC rims are not the same strength AFAIK. bro in law has the heist wheels in 30mm flavor and are quite nice but getting WTB tyres on were a pain, maxxis was fine. Don’t see any reason to get stupidly wide rims and wouldn’t base my choice on that one feature alone. personally I would go with the ex471 rims if I was building up a wheel set. £50 each at bike-discount

RickDraper
    Free Member

Thanks. I am looking for a strong alloy wheel set that will be a go to wheel set when I’m riding in the peaks as carbon does not cut it.

benpinnick

Ive put a few dents into Easton Havocs, which run the ARC rim, probably more than I would have on a set of 471s, certainly surviving better than a Flow would though.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Thanks. Think I will go for the EX 471’s.

poah
    Free Member

havoc’s arn’t the same as the ARC rim – havocs are proper UST rims and 23mm internal. The heist wheel set uses the ARC rim

wrecker
    Free Member

Thanks. Think I will go for the EX 471’s.

I reckon that’s the right call. Having destroyed a lighter weight, wide rim in 3 odd rides, the EX 471 which replaced it has laughed at all I’ve thrown at it.

STATO
    Free Member

Has anyone seen the ARC 45 listed anywhere? seen a few on bikepacking websites and not sure if a product yet or just prototypes.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

DT i reckon

noahhowes
    Free Member

I have the ARC 30 on PRO II EVO hubs. The extra width (30mm internal compared to 25mm on the DT) does make them more stable around corners. I feel significantly less tyre roll, it’s like riding with a DH casing tyre when you’re on a normal thin walled kevlar. Of course the extra width does come with an increased chance of banging them on rocks but mine seem to be solid enough so far. They’re also not silly wide like the Ibis or Light-Bicycle ones that would be even more prone to bashing. As a bonus the ARC 30 mounts a tubeless Schwalbe with 2 wraps of Stan’s tape (for width) and a track pump. It’s totally hassle free, so much so that I change tyres without fear of faff!

benpinnick

havoc’s arn’t the same as the ARC rim – havocs are proper UST rims and 23mm internal. The heist wheel set uses the ARC rim

Yeah thats what I meant… Heists. Too many wheels in the warehouse.

barbs
    Free Member

There’s a review of the Heists over on Factory Jackson, he seems to like them!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Running ARC 27 on my smuggler and they seem to be very good (only a few rides in though).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Easton ARC or DT EX471 rims?’ is closed to new replies.