Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • East Devon locals – anyone used these guys for frame powder coating……?
  • bristolbiker
    Free Member

Home

Saw examples of their work on more ‘industrial’ parts that they did for a mate at the w/e. Finish quality was very good and the price was keen too.

?

amedias
    Free Member

not used them, but I have used these guys in Exeter:

http://www.1stchoicefinishes.co.uk/

For powdercoating both Alu and steel. Finish was pretty good, cost about £40 for a frame, finsih on the steel frame was better than the Alu one, but both were still better than soem I’ve used in the past who charged a lot more.

pics of the steel frame here:

Bontrager Privateer

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Only reason I’d consider using them is that they are a stones-throw from my parents and, as I seem to be down there fairly regularly at the moment for family/work, if the price and quality was right it would be no hardship to use them, even though they’re ~70 miles from home, compared to the usual suspects around here!

toys19
    Free Member

If its an aluminium alloy frame then go to Revill for 2 pack paint spraying, excellent quality, at Exeter airport business park.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Yep, alu frame. Powder coating appeals for the durability and cost (its for a commuting frame, so the maximum durability I can achieve for the minimum cost!!!). Airport is a posibility, seem to be falling off the end of the M5 most weeks at the moment……

toys19
    Free Member

which frame is it?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Toys – Its an old alu Airbourne Carpe Diem 700c frame….. pretty sure it’s 7000 series alloy, but would need to check.

neilforrow

yep, very pleased with the finish:

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Neil – that was done by ICS was it? How much, and did they know their onions when you handed then a frame?

neilforrow

bristolbiker – yep, done by ICS. The fella seemed to know his stuff, he had a few frames under the counter to show me the type of finish i could expect.

We talked about the prep-process and masking off. So all good really.

There are 2 prices IRRC, hardtails £30 and full sus’ers that require a lot of masking / gentle prep £60.

HTH.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Top stuff fella – thanks 🙂

sharki
    Free Member

Neil, does that include stripping the frame of all previous coatings?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

…actually, that’s a good Q – did they do the masking as well?

Ideally, I’d just like to drop off the frame, complete with its current shabby paint, tell them where to mask and come back a week later to pick up the shiney finished article.

Could do with some of the cable bosses moving/removing as well, but that’s another story……

neilforrow

sharki, bristolbiker – yes it does… the cheeper’ of the 2 prices is for a hardtail and the 2nd is for a full susser where there is more prep work.

£60 to strip, mask and paint. I did have to go over a few bits with a Stanley blade tho.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I have used them to do a couple of alloy multi finned rads they stripped them and coated them really well infact they look better than new.

That reminds me I must drop my Kaffenback off there for a respray

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘East Devon locals – anyone used these guys for frame powder coating……?’ is closed to new replies.