Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • East dartmoor locals – how has it survived winter? Pointers would be great!
  • stevede
    Free Member

I’m heading up Sunday to do a loop I haven’t done in a few years – hound tor, bowermans, descent from water to lustleigh (river/bridge), out to peck farm, up and over hunters tor back to nutcracker and down to hisley wood? Up and out onto the main road climbing up skirting yarner wood, off black hill (I think, nice and rocky down to a river then climb up to other side of hound tor) before dropping off the side of hound tor and back to the car park for a bacon sarnie 🙂
    It’s been a while and knowing how unkind winter has been to us down in west Cornwall I was just wondering if all the awesome trails up there are still running without massive trees down etc?
    Any suggestions for extras to tag on similar in awesomeness to the descent from water down to the cleave or nutcracker would be greatly appreciated. Setting off as early as possible to keep rambler interaction to a minimum (given the time of year and weather I know it’s going to be rammed). Is the run off bowermans still a waist deep gulley of fun/terror as it was a couple of years back?

eviljoe
    Free Member

Houndtor, Water, Lustleigh, Bowerman’s all good, ridden a couple weeks ago. Bowerman’s still gullytastic, keeping your feet in the right place a challenge.

Enjoy!

stevede
    Free Member

Excellent cheers for that Joe.

devbrix
    Free Member

It’s all good and dried out nicely. Here it is recently. Glorious

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Was all great a couple of weeks ago – although we did the descent from the outcrop just before Nutcracker. I distinctly saw dust!

vv I did wonder – I’m heading sarf tomorrow – South Brent Avon Dam route.

jam-bo

5″ of rain over the weekend might have damped that dust down a bit. Drying up fast on west dartmoor but still some proper boggy spots.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Most of that route was running very well on Thursday. Bowermans is a gully still but the descent from Water seemed drier than it often is, think that might have had a little work done on it.

Don’t forget the trails at the top of hound tor wood if you get chance. The trail from there that joins the water one is a goodun aswell.

v666ern
    Free Member

slight thread hijack,

will be down over easter and wouldnt mind trying this route or something similar – Is there any dartmoor guide books which has a route planned out, I’ve done the princetown reservoir loop which was lovely so im keen to explore some moor.
    Cant predict when ill be out either as little ones are unpredictable!

jruk
    Free Member

v666ern – have a look at this route.

v666ern
    Free Member

Thanks JRUK – Much appreciated, though i may have to do that in stages think 26 miles of devon moors could kill me!

Thank you very much

jruk
    Free Member

It’s fine if you don’t rush and make use of the cakes at Hound Tor. I cut out the western loop if I don’t have all day 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘East dartmoor locals – how has it survived winter? Pointers would be great!’ is closed to new replies.