Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • East Ayrshire MTB routes
  • baileyswalk
    Free Member

Lockdown in East Ayrshire and not sure where, if any, good MTB trails exist. I heard there was some OK stuff up the back of darvel around the lafine estate… or should I just head out on the road bike?? Any ideas or suggestions welcome, based in Kilmarnock but can drive to the trails if it’s worth it.

cobrakai

I think theres trails down by auchincruive just outside Ayr.

Also by Loch doon/bellsbank there’s routes in the woods there.

I’m in Hampshire now but originally from Mauchline. My mates still ride locally round there and I do when I’m up the road, but it’d be a pain to describe where. look at stravaheat map. Theres lots of cheeky stuff.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

@baileyswalk, I’ve not ignored your message, just not had a chance to put some routes together yet!.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I think theres trails down by auchincruive just outside Ayr.

That’s outside the 5 mile limit though is it not?

I remember being told the woods just to the east of Newmilns on the south side of the road were good but that was ages ago. Nobeer probably knows where I’m on about. Plenty of nice quiet roads off the 71 and 76 too, great place for road biking.

baileyswalk
    Free Member

Is there a 5 mile limit? I thought that within ur council district was OK?

@nobeer cheers, heading out tomorrow so will be trying to figure something out tonight.

@cobrakai
    – heat maps! Good shout, had forgotten about them.

cobrakai

Sorry, don’t know what your lockdown rules are at the moment!

@nobeer if you have any routes could I have a nosey too? When I’m up the road visiting the parents im usually time short, so I’d love a gpx or 2 so that I can just plug in and go. Id return the favour if you’re ever daan saarf!

vmgscot

Loch Doon <> Braden is worth a squirt (Four Lochs) especially if you add in Cornish Hill.

vmgscot

Or, if you like a bit of hilly gravel while we’re in tier 4 then loads off the end of the Afton reservoir (either west towards Carsphairn or east towards Kirkconnel.

baileyswalk
    Free Member

Loch Doon looks well worth the drive

baileyswalk
    Free Member

@vmgscot do you have any gpx’s for Afton? I’ll definitely take the gravel bike there sooner or later. Loch Doon too if you have anything, that looks exactly the thing I’m in need of.

vmgscot

@baileyswalk I’ll have them on Viewranger but maybe not public. I can message you details no problem.

baileyswalk
    Free Member

Nice one cheers

Chain dot saw AT outlook dot com

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There’s a fair few decent built descents in the hills up behind Darvel/Newmilns, best bet is to message sprockets cycles and go on a shop ride, Dave builds up there and knows it all, You can either climb up the concrete road from Darvel, or there is a spot you can park off the back road from Galston to Sorn that takes a few mins to get to the top of the woods, I’ve not rode there for a while, but I’ve put a strava ride below that’ll give you a heads up.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3014542062#74776686771

Decent wee loop around Mauchline, River Ayr and Catrine, there’s a load of wee short fun trails in the woods down by Ballochmyle golf course, you’ll pass them on this loop.

https://www.strava.com/activities/419012389#10079913304

Loch Doon trails are pretty good, but will be baw deep in muck at present!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1623805121#40665258313

Auchincruive is my local fun spot, some decent other tracks up the river, be happy to show you around if you fancy it. Ride below was a day building, chequered flag is where all trails start.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4053683866

VMGScot is spot on, four lochs is cracking, big wild country, but actually fairly compact, you just feel as if it’s a massive area. You could also ride this area and Loch doon area from Afton Reservoir if you’re up for a big gravel ride, wind farm roads take you right over to Carsphairn, then 5 ish miles on the road up to Eriff, then you can cut over to the Head of the Loch. Apart from one wee 10 minute carry (I’d advise using a mapping app for this wee bit) you can actually ride right around Loch Doon now, I did it as a training ride for WHW in a day in the summer.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3745762066

Of course, Fairlie Moor is about my fave local spot, but none of us can ride that at the moment! 🙁

cobrakai

Thanks Nobeer!

That Mauchline loop is pretty much my “the daughters in bed, take advantage of free childcare” ride when I’m up the road. Usually with a stop at the fairburn…

My brother knows who built the stuff at ballochmyle. Cant remeber his name for the life of me but he’s made some stunning looking trails.

Once wee sturgeon let’s me come up ill go investigating. Cheers!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Auchincruive is South Ayrshire and just outside the 5 mile limit, you would have to park up before you got there or just do a loop from Stair.

Fairlie Moor is probably a boggy mess but what’s new there? Not been up for a bit due to uni work and a general lack of motivation.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not been up for a bit due to uni work and a general lack of motivation.

This has been me for the last couple of years!

We cut in some nice wee stuff up the top of fairlie glen, in the trees on the left a couple of years ago, will just need a rake out, it’s a really good wee bit to session. The big descent off Kaim hill never really gets that bad in wet tbh, there’s only really one bad section, it’s just too wide to do anything about.

I’ve also taken a shine to coming straight down the Kaim hill race route a few times, it’s a bit straight doon baws oot, but it’s guid fun.

I was up digging in some new stuff at Cruive on sunday, it’s been great during this year, 25 minute cycle from the house and lots of good wee runs.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Last time I rode out to Auchincruive from Troon we decided to be lazy and ride up the side of the 77 back the way. I mean, it’s a solid grass verge right? Never again.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

lol!

I remember a baw faced weegie I used to work with who questioned the price of a taxi home to Glasgow from Prestwick works xmas night out, and demanded to be let oot as it was ‘robbery’

He staggerred from Sandyford toll to Kilmarnock on said verge/path, before sobering somewhat and getting another taxi from there. 10 drunken dark miles, he never did that again.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Lol, respect for making it that far though, I’d have given up at the Brewers Droop.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

He’d been drinking pints of st mungo all day, logic was not his friend.

BoardinBob

the Brewers Droop

God that takes me back. Worked in there a long time ago!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Crikey!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Another east shire ride I forgot about, Cairn table. It’s a hike a bike tbh, but it’s pretty good, 3 descents off there too, all worth doing.

River Ayr way from there down to Catrine is good too, pish beyond muirkirk, first 6 miles or so from glenbuck is forgettable.

baileyswalk
    Free Member

Just checked back in here for the first time in a while. Thanks for all the Strava links nobeer, I’ll work my way thru them and give you a shout when I get to auchincruve. I ended up heading up the back of darvel and found quite a lot of good stuff and some not so good… Well, too muddy stuff too. Was fun tho and has me inspired to check out some more local places.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Is there a 5 mile limit? I thought that within ur council district was OK?

5mike limit is you can venture out of your council upto 5miles provided you start and finish from that point. I think.

But we’re tier 1 in the borders now so it basically like covid never happened….

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘East Ayrshire MTB routes’ is closed to new replies.