• This topic has 37 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by z1ppy.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • East Anglia..
  • z1ppy

Never been before*, got a week there coming up, with O/H and dog (no bike).. what’s to do in (mainly) Norfolk/Suffolk? Idea’s?

*it may be our one and only visit ;D

richmars

it may be our one and only visit ;D

That’s right. We don’t let outsiders leave.

z1ppy

interesting… it’s normally a case of not being able to get into a place

midlifecrashes

Tell us where you are staying. Norfolk/Suffolk covers quite a bit of ground, and what with the Fen Fog and the general lack of metalled roads east of Norwich, it can take a while to get places.

richmars

interesting… it’s normally a case of not being able to get into a place

Yes, but we need fresh blood.

sandboy

Beautiful beaches on the north Norfolk coast with world famous areas for bird/wildlife. Along the main coast road you will find lots of interesting places to have a look around with many pubs serving great local food which are dog friendly. Norwich is well worth a day out, the Castle Museum often has art exhibitions and other things of interest and there is always the Broads nearby. As has already been said, it’s quite a large area, not a problem if you enjoy driving around. Tell us what you enjoy and I can be more specific.

z1ppy

Based nr Thetford, but happy to travel about, beaches seems our most likely destination with they dawg.
    It’s a break to relax, so dog walking, eating out & though abandoning the creature to go see interesting stuff (we like castles?) is always an option (for a few hours)

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

(we like castles?)

Framlingham, Orford…………..

z1ppy

You say that like I should know the names like Warwick or Windsor castle, but I’ve never heard of either of those ^^, which are the better ones?

sandboy

There is Castle Rising near King’s Lynn and the town itself, has much historical interest with some beautiful Tudor and Georgan buildings and a museum about the history of the fishing industry and the port which I believe to be one the country’s most important at one time. It would be easy to spend a whole day there, about 45 minutes drive from Thetford.

richmars

Castle Rising and Castle Acre both ok if you’re passing. Beaches will be a bit windy this time of year.

Edit, yes, King’s Lynn is interesting as well.

Klunk
    Free Member

which are the better ones?

from thetford, if you visit orford you’ll be passing framlingham on the way…. nice pub in Orford (the kings head used in the detectorists) btw

sandboy

Castle Acre near Swaffham has a Castle and old Priory and there is an Iceni village at the nearby Cockly Cley all within 20 miles of Lynn

richmars

Not sure what wildlife is around at Blakeney Point this time of year, but worth the boat trip when the seals are there.

z1ppy

Cool, thanks all, hows about places to eat in the evening?
    (don’t have to be dog friendly)

Klunk
    Free Member

on the way back to thetford from framlingham the fox and goose Fressingfield. Has the honour of turning away Johnny Depp because he didn’t have a reservation.

sandboy

If you were taking the bike, I would have recommended a ride around Shouldham Warren and then food and drink at the King’s Arms. Great pub, community run serving superb locally sourced food, beers and cider. The Hare Arms also in the same area at Stow Bardolph has always had a good reputation. Both pubs would be on your way back from King’s Lynn towards Thetford. The wife has reminded me that Biltons on the A10 at Tottenhill, recently opened and has quickly built a good rep locally, not been so can’t give you a true review of the food. Another is The Berney Arms in Barton Bendish but I believe it has recently changed hands.

midlifecrashes

Waitrose on Sea Southwold is worth a look if you like pseudo hipster Islington version of a seaside town. It’s quite nice actually, and there is beer.

Actually, all the way round from Hunstanton to Orford, there are miles of fantastic beaches, most of them either dog friendly or with a doggy friendly bit off to the side. Great Yarmouth and Cromer can be fun in a Kiss me Quick hat way. The Broads are worth a boat trip. I think the highlight, if you have a day or two spare is the Mundesley Maritime Museum.

richmars

Burnham Market has some good eating (but full of London 2nd homers). The Lord Nelson in Burnham Thorpe is much as it was when it was Nelson’s local (but called The Plough).

mboy
    Free Member

When in Rome…

I suggest going Potato picking, and make sure to take some flippers so you’ll fit in with the locals…

sandboy

Burnham Market is best avoided unless you enjoy riding round looking for somewhere to park and paying London prices for anything. Chelsea by the sea is wholly over rated!

Klunk
    Free Member

sounds like southwold

midlifecrashes

Happy dog at Mundesley beach.

sierrakilo
    Free Member

like Aircraft ? near to Thetford ?

If so, then a visit to the spectators car park at Lakenheath is a must. Watch F-15 eagle aircraft from the USAF take off and land.

Harry_the_Spider

like Aircraft ?

http://www.aviationmuseum.net/

We spent 2 weeks on Southwold last year and had a fantastic time.

MoreCashThanDash

Yes, but we need fresh blood genes.

ftfy

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

It’s a local place for local people— be very afraid—-(it’s great really despite being really flat)

stumpy01

Wells next the sea
    Sandringham
    Castle Rising
    Thetford forest for a wander with the dog – park at Brandon Country Park rather than High Lodge – it’s cheaper.
    Blickling Hall
    Blakeney Nature Reserve – bit bleak at this time of year…

sandboy

Norfolk flat!!! Have a look at this mornings group ride.
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/11683451

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Good effort, proper alpine route that! I live in Cambridge and if we link up all the local “hills” we can get 1100 feet of climbing in on a single ride–awesome.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Oh, and take a kite, the beaches along the North Norfolk coast are fantastically flat and open.

sandboy

We try to make the most of what we have, avoiding the Fens whenever we can. The nearest proper hills are at Rutland which we visit a few times throughout the year. The wind makes up for lack of gradient!!

z1ppy

Cheers ppl, will mull though suggestion & make a plan 😉

Sandwich

Warning, some of the North Norfolk eating establishments don’t try too hard. The place is usually at least 85% occupied in holiday time and as a result there can be a suggestion of entitlement from “mine host”.

If you’re in Orford then Pump Street bakery and gorge on taste the Butter Pies with coffee. (Shut Tuesdays, boo, so I missed out today). They have an outpost at Snape Maltings around the corner (The Pantry). The Eccles cakes are rather good too with no air gap under the pastry.

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

The Friday Street farm shop has a good tea room. Less of a cake selection during the week though at this time of the year. You can get proper meals there as well. It’s by the A12 junction from Snape/Aldeburgh.

richard

The Pigs is very good for food, North Norfolk way.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Yes, but we need fresh blood.

😆

Norwich is a lovely city too, OP.

z1ppy

thanks guys

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘East Anglia..’ is closed to new replies.