Viewing 40 posts - 3,121 through 3,160 (of 4,691 total)
  • Easing of Scottish lockdown
  • gordimhor

The Prince of Wales in Ayr had a flat roof and furniture bolted to the floor. Known as the POW. Long gone now and I don’t know how to post images

scotroutes

Northwind

If you drink in a pub with a flat roof, god will send helicopters to punish you

The Abbots/Pentland View as it was is a fine example, proves that even if you put one a nice suburb surrounded by nice ideal-customer professional middle class alcoholics, and pass it through the hands of countless optimistic bright eyed landlords for decades, the flatroofness will still soak downwards and infest the whole place. As above, so below.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

You’re a bad man.

A very bad man.

pandhandj
    Free Member

singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/easing-of-scottish-lockdown/page/78/#post-11682862

Edit – re: nobeers dig at the port 🤣🤣🤣

Ooooft! If it wusny fir ra port, Greenock wid pure be the worst toon in Scotland!

NB- born and raised in the port!

Edit 2 for @big_scot_nanny… The upper port too, I’ll have you know!

gordimhor

That’s the very place scotroutes handy for the fitba and also the cheapest beer in town at that time

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I was in the POW once, for a few drinks before a wedding reception at the racecourse, it wasn’t the worst pub in town by a long shot!.

Day release at college in springburn featured some interesting pubs, the tastiest of which was a toss up between the Masonic and the Celtic club (we were multicultural) 😆

sellik

BoardinBob

Back when I stayed in Kilmarnock, we played in the Ayrshire pool league on a Thursday night.

The away match against The Murray Bar in Shortlees was always an eye opener

https://goo.gl/maps/8wPnmSz9Yq4rnzz46

Spin
    Free Member

I’ve just googled the Stadium Bar Ibrox as that’s a flat roofer I’ve had a few pints in having worked nearby. It wasn’t awful outside match days but it seems it’s now the Louden Tavern Rangers pub.

Which reminds me…I worked with a guy who was a mad Queens Park fan (probably a tautology that). He told a story about him and some QP fans going into the original Louden Tavern on Duke Street. They ordered pints, sat down quietly at the bar then one of them pointed up at the massive painting of William of Orange and asked the barman ‘who’s the big poof on the horse?’ The response from the barman was a remarkably restrained ‘drink up lads, you’re leaving.’ I suspect it wasn’t the homophobic language that bothered him.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Scheme pubs ftw.

I’ve just googled the Stadium Bar Ibrox as that’s a flat roofer I’ve had a few pints in having worked nearby. It wasn’t awful outside match days but it seems it’s now the Louden Tavern Rangers pub.

Rather bizarrely, before it changed from the stadium bar it went through a spell as a Celtic pub.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I would personally be more inclined to donate a decent amount for doing some ridiculous, tedious thing that will be hated for every second of the alloted time than for doing something enjoyable that isn’t really a challenge.

Would be even better if you live streamed it and folk could make things happen to make you even more miserable keep you motivated. I’d pay for that.

Had a drink in the stadium bar on a sub crawl, wasn’t as bad as the shitehole in Tradeston (West Street stop, not the Lonsdale which is actually brilliant). Didn’t realise the POW was away. Never been in but it was always the landmark that told you that you were entering White City. That flat roofer at Prestwick Toll looked like a proper shitehole for a while before it got done up, not as sketchy as the Vulcan though.

Spin
    Free Member

Rather bizarrely, before it changed from the stadium bar it went through a spell as a Celtic pub.

I think Ibrox is actually a fairly Catholic area and Parkhead is certainly surrounded by some pretty protestant parts.

When I worked in the area I think the Albion Way at the end of Woodville St was where the Celtic fans went on match day.

jamiemcf

I worked in the Gorbals years back doing some cladding and drainage repairs to the flats. I never braved the Riverside tavern, but one of the locals offered to sell me the boots he was wearing so he could get another drink.

Adelphi St
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/312rSZCfjDapDcoJA

big_scot_nanny

@pandhandj – I worked in the Mclaren packaging factory up there for a couple of summers after school (early 90s), great views, a stones through from Kilmacolm 😉 Went for a few pints and a smake with some colleagues a few times, can’t remember which bar though – was there one at the big roundabout at the top of the hill?

And hey, lets face it – it’s no Larkfield (which I believe champions Inverclydes position as most deprived area in Europe/UK)

I’m from Inverclyde’s Riveria west end of Gourock, right posh me.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I worked in the Gorbals years back doing some cladding and drainage repairs to the flats. I never braved the Riverside tavern

When I was at the nautical college we were advised on no uncertain terms that Sharkys was fine otherwise stick to the North side. I never felt the need to challenge that.

tjagain

the bar I have always wanted to go in but never dared is the Sarries heid in Possil. I go past it when visiting my folks. Unfortunately the actual head outside it seems to have gone – I would have thought it was listed. Its now called the saracen bar

https://goo.gl/maps/Lcv59kYRPE6RXwXf6

paladin

squirrelking

When I was at the nautical college we were advised on no uncertain terms that Sharkys was fine otherwise stick to the North side. I never felt the need to challenge that.

Yep sharkeys for a Friday lunch on payday, Sally macs and Shooters beside the court were safe too

scotroutes

I’m currently outdoors with a hipflask of single malt. Do the new rules come into force at midnight? If so, I’d best crack on and finish it! 😂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Enjoy.

Goes to show how **** scunnert everyone is with this now, it’s turned into a flat roofed pub thread. 😆

tjagain

Used to be one on Springburn road that looked “interesting” as well but thats long gone I think

andy4d

@lightfighter762

‘The Cairn in Alva was amazing.’

jeesuz, I remember playing pool there and getting served while in school uniform! Think the lounge out the back was called ‘findlays’ or something back in my day. Wasn’t too rough though, the Abercromby in Tillibody or the one next to the police station in Alloa, peppes?were more ‘interesting’.

scotroutes

Which one on Alva had the wire cage around the telly?

andy4d

Could of been any, or all, of,…the Glen, the Johnston Arms, the Cairn or maybe the crown? The no5 and the cross keys were too posh for cages.

squirrelking
    Free Member

My go to was the Cross Keys in Stirling, not a flat roof only by the virtue that someone had the termenity to add a few floors above it. Must have been 15 when I was getting served in there.

Still cracks me up that my sister in law lives above it now.

poah
    Free Member

Swinny suggests schools opening on the 1st a tall order

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55674400

scotroutes

Hardly a surprise. I doubt it’ll be before mid-term and could very likely be much later.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

The Eagle in Tillicoultry. Smells like smoke still. Always a nice bunch in there. Always upon leaving I hit up the jukebox for some George Michael/Boy George/ Savage Garden just to piss everyone off. Upon hearing my deep southern Carolina accent suddenly they were out of Tenants.

poah
    Free Member

Hardly a surprise. I doubt it’ll be before mid-term and could very likely be much later.

Hope not. Apart from the main issue of it not being good for the kids, I’m hating working from home.

big_scot_nanny

Can I ask a question about ‘extended households’? Hope you can share some wisdom.

Us (fam of 5): Stirling. Elderly parents: Gourock.

Dad terminal cancer, frail, a bit doolally. Needing daily care from mum (catheters/bags/medication etc) supported by district nurse as needed. Mum dislocated shoulder, again, at Christmas and is now very restricted in movement. We got her a person to help with housework, but she cancelled them due to screaming Inverclyde and north Ayrshire cases. We agreed with that call. Lots of neighbours and friends helping with shopping etc so they are good there.

Its stuff in the house that needs done (beds, ironing, anything above shoulder height!), and some respite for mum from the never-ending isolation/grind.

Can we form an extended household with them? I have no siblings, so its only us, we are all at home, and with kids not being in school we are not in close contact so present no/very low risk.

Advice is… challenging. Scotland states only with someone living alone or with folks under 18, English rules would allow it as it allows for someone alone or with someone needing continuous care.

Common sense would say of course we can do it, but it doesn’t seem that clear and I’d like to not cause my folks any stress if its not cut and dried. (Mum is rather adamant about certain things.

Genuinely looking for guidance – let me know your thoughts please

mikejd

The majority of Scottish school pupils are learning from home, with a combination of set tasks and online sessions with teachers – Swinney quote

First week over – on-line session total 1 x 30mins for 1child out of 3. Still, I suppose this is better than last time…  Set tasks seem to be much the same as the ones they were given last year, and the kids claim they also did in P7 (now in S2).

tjagain

big scot nanny

Examples of reasonable excuses to go out:

………………………

to provide care, assistance, support to or respite for a vulnerable person

I would think you are fine on that one. Morally you have to IMO

Limit it as much as possible – maybe select one of you to go over. do as much in one visit. all the sensible stuff you have thought of I am sure

the bit about extended households is different – that is for (IMO) a slightly different situation – the loney old person that would be physically OK but needs the emotional support

Spin
    Free Member

First week over – on-line session total 1 x 30mins for 1child out of 3. Still, I suppose this is better than last time… Set tasks seem to be much the same as the ones they were given last year, and the kids claim they also did in P7 (now in S2).

Last week I taught live online lessons for every period I was timetabled. Miles better, both for the pupils and for me than the ‘set work once a week’ approach we were forced to adopt last time. The response from pupils was overwhelmingly positive.

It’s hugely variable not just between schools but within them. Lots of teachers are keen to do proper live lessons and have real interaction but there are also a lot who are terrified of it. Sadly the unions and some authorities have been pretty unsupportive of live lessons and that gives lots of teachers a ready excuse.

It’s turned into a bit of a race to the bottom in some ways. Because some pupils might have difficulty accessing live lessons there’s pressure on teachers to provide something much less engaging but more accessible. The trouble is that the ones that wouldn’t access the live lessons won’t access the alternatives either. Hey presto, impoverished experience for all.

mashr

Can we form an extended household with them? I have no siblings, so its only us, we are all at home, and with kids not being in school we are not in close contact so present no/very low risk.

Advice is… challenging. Scotland states only with someone living alone or with folks under 18, English rules would allow it as it allows for someone alone or with someone needing continuous care.

Where terminal illnesses and the like are involved then they can take priority (whilst still taking sensible precautions of course). Don’t believe anything is written down but the question was certainly asked and answered during one of the press conferences and I’ve never seen anything else saying otherwise. I’ve just had to use this sort of approach myself with a recently ill now dead relative. Just spent the last week in Essex sorting his affairs.

tjagain

Big scots nanny

Again my interpretation but the “extended household” would allow your entire family to visit. the vulnerable persons exemption would be one of you

mikejd

Hey presto, impoverished experience for all.

Absolutely. For example, we have three 13yr olds here with a wide range of abilities, all in the same school year and class. They have been set  five maths tasks which are revision of stuff I know they did last March – we’re in the third term of this year now, still revising. One of them will finish each task in about 10 minutes and is then bored and disruptive, another is literally still counting on her fingers. But we have to be inclusive…

Spin
    Free Member

But we have to be inclusive…

A lot of teachers are hiding behind this and what the unions have said as an excuse for not engaging with pupils online.

I heard an area union rep referring to live online lessons as being ‘pedagogically unjustified’. I wish they could have seen the response of pupils to some of the online lessons I taught this week. I’m not saying I’m amazing at it, far from it but it works and is hugely appreciated.

big_scot_nanny

TJ, Mike – thank you. For lots of reasons it seems a no brainer, but there is so much in life at the moment that is untethered, sometimes hard to see the wood for the trees.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

I have a house being done up. Not staying in it as it is a building site. Another floor added etc. Lovely neighbours reporting tradesman for non essential work. Should I just call it quits for now?

chickenman

I think having a house to live in is pretty essential, I would carry on.

scotroutes

I think having a house to live in is pretty essential, I would carry on.

I assume he is living in a different house at the moment.

I thought construction was still allowed though?

Viewing 40 posts - 3,121 through 3,160 (of 4,691 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.