• This topic has 2,430 replies, 172 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by duckman.
Viewing 31 posts - 2,401 through 2,431 (of 2,431 total)
  • Easing of Scottish lockdown
  • Premier Icon longdog
    Free Member

Cheers Duckman, but did that in January in a similar situation. Also got the bus to Banchory to go up Scolty Woods.

If its reasonable weather going walking isn’t the issue, even just along the coast, Don or Dee. The issue I what to do if its a day of dirt other than a cafe crawl. Saying that I do have waterproofs!

Premier Icon fasgadh
    Free Member

Just noticed DFS is open, in tier 4.

Did they have a sale on?

Premier Icon iainc

I have been behaving and staying in or close to my own LA of South Lanarkshire, though living a couple of miles from GCC, East Ren and North Ayrshire, going a few miles into these areas to ride, or on a ride remains compliant and justifiable to my self.

I was just looking at a map there and discovered that, towards the south end of South Lanarkshire, the gem that is Drumlanrig is just under 5 miles from the LA boundary…

It feels wrong to drive an hour and a bit in current times, but it’s totally legit.. WWSTW do I wonder ..??

Premier Icon scotroutes

Rule #1 still applies

Premier Icon iainc

Colin, yes, that is very much my thought too, whilst totally within the rules it doesn’t feel right somehow !

Premier Icon scotroutes

Ach, it’s easy for me to say. Even if we went to Tier 4 I could, in theory, ride Torridon, head up to Durness etc. It would feel like taking the piss though.

Premier Icon mashr

Colin, yes, that is very much my thought too, whilst totally within the rules it doesn’t feel right somehow !

Did I miss something? Has 5 miles from home gone out the window? (Please make it so)

Premier Icon scotroutes

You can travel up to 5 miles outside your LA for exercise. That could be to start/end exercise. It’s plainly aimed at those living in the larger towns and conurbations, offering a degree of flexibility and thereby reducing overcrowding at more popular spots in these towns.

Premier Icon iainc

^^^ as Scotroutes says, and primarily designed to help those in dense urban conurbations. As with most laws there are loopholes, one of which I am seeing here, but, as previously also said, Rule #1 ought to prevail.

Premier Icon mashr

Yup, totally missed that. TBH it doesn’t bring much temptation my way, think they only place it brings within the limit is somewhere I wouldn’t bother with at the moment anyway

Premier Icon cynic-al

I don’t see it as dickish at all for you to ride Drumlanrig. I get that druid’s Aviemore is way different to where I am (and I don’t approve) but folk here take the piss all day long. You won’t put any one at risk if you are sensible.

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I canny be arsed driving an hour for drumlanrig when it’s not during restrictions! 😆

Premier Icon iainc

^^^^ I know what you mean but after months of Whitelee, Chaterherault and Blantyre, even Cathkin is becoming an attractive idea… (it isn’t really.. 😀)

Free Member

Why that’s just silly talk😆

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

Try living here, the closest you get to adventure biking is a ride through the bottom end of Stevenston or Bourtreehill.

Hunners of roads to ride if Carmageddon is your thing though.

Premier Icon hjghg5
    Free Member

Drove from Glasgow to Yorkshire last night (transiting through as the only flights we could get for an essential journey were via Scottish airports). No sign of any enforcement on either side of the border but roads pretty quiet.

Premier Icon mashr

Scotland MTB Routes Facebook page boiling my wee a bit – nice photos from the Golfie today, mentioned I was jealous of folk living in the area….. not sure what to make of “🤷🏼‍♂️🤣🤣👌🏻👌🏻“ as the response 🙄

Premier Icon BoardinBob

mentioned I was jealous of folk living in the area

He’s from down that way

Premier Icon mashr

In which case I stand corrected, and reported myself for being a bell-end

Premier Icon scotroutes

Shame I missed that. I’d have deleted the whole post as being contrary to the aims of the group anyway.

Premier Icon iainc

A specific question and looking for thoughts, as can’t see guidance online yet.

We live in South Lanarkshire and are hoping to have a few days, just the 4 of us, at an Air BnB in St Andrews between Christmas and New Year. It’s booked and fully refundable for another 3 weeks. I’m expecting we will be, at home, in L3 at best, or still L4 and destination area a little lower.

Currently it would be a no, which is fine and happy to stick with that, but messaging seems to be a relaxation in travel, primarily to facilitate seeing family, which would not be our purpose as it’s just our immediate household anyway.

It would be nice to get away, and it’s one of our boys 18th, hence the planned wee break.

Feel a bit torn on this one, gut feel is wait and see another few weeks but keen for some thoughts.

Free Member

Wait and see.

Premier Icon giant_scum
    Free Member

If it was me I’d still plan on going!
    Alright traveling between L3 & L4 areas is not advisable, but once you get there I’m assuming you’d pretty much be self-contained.
    That’s what we did in October, given it was the Isle of Lewis so social distancing wasn’t too much of an issue.

Premier Icon seosamh77

iainc
    A specific question and looking for thoughts, as can’t see guidance online yet.

We live in South Lanarkshire and are hoping to have a few days, just the 4 of us, at an Air BnB in St Andrews between Christmas and New Year. It’s booked and fully refundable for another 3 weeks. I’m expecting we will be, at home, in L3 at best, or still L4 and destination area a little lower.

Currently it would be a no, which is fine and happy to stick with that, but messaging seems to be a relaxation in travel, primarily to facilitate seeing family, which would not be our purpose as it’s just our immediate household anyway.

It would be nice to get away, and it’s one of our boys 18th, hence the planned wee break.

Feel a bit torn on this one, gut feel is wait and see another few weeks but keen for some thoughts.

I don’t personally agree with the whole christmas thing, but I understand people will do it anyhow, so I understand the reasoning to give people some guidance..

But they are lifting travel restrictions, so **** it, get yerself off on holiday, go for it and enjoy. Yer boy will only be 18 once.

Premier Icon scotroutes

Well, he’ll be 18 for 365 days…

Premier Icon iainc

^^^ hahaha 🙂 Indeed he will, but it would be ‘nice’ to get away, though by no means essential. Think will hold off calling it for a couple of weeks..

Premier Icon TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I would like to press the button on a ski season pass for *somewhere*. At one point or another I have held one for Cairngorm, Glencoe, Glenshee and Nevis.

Nevis are already out of the running this season, closed until further notice, and Cairngorm seem to have degenerated into such a basket case that they actively discourage their own customers from ever returning. For me, Lecht is just too far away.

I live in Perth & Kinross, and Glenshee is wholly within 5 miles of the PKC/Aberdeenshire boundary. Under the current guidelines I think skiing at Glenshee will be OK.

Normally I just have the “Will there be enough snow?” question to over think. Now I have the “Will I be allowed to travel?” one to ponder too. Is anyone else overthinking the same stuff?

Premier Icon duckman

Last year was apparently magic for snow, so this year will be terrible. Would this not be the year just to suck up the extra cost in day passes? Plus if it is open, Glenshee will be heaving due to the lack of competition and it is a special kind of hell then.

Premier Icon TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Last year was magic for howling westerlies every weekend until mid-March. Nevis was trial by ordeal, and even when “open”, most of the lifts were closed. The tail end of March and April was great. Settled weather, great snow, no crowds. I watched it all via webcam…

Free Member

A season ticket for Gondola Bike uplift at Nevis range may be a more realistic option!

Premier Icon duckman

Same way I viewed it TW, with the added pain of MWIS forecasting calm days.

Viewing 31 posts - 2,401 through 2,431 (of 2,431 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.