Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 4,691 total)
  • Easing of Scottish lockdown
  • Northwind

gauss1777

It’s a couple of weeks now until schools resume in Scotland – with no social distancing. What are people’s thoughts on this?

It’s a pretty scary moment but tbh the level of infection in the scottish population is now very, very low, so I suspect it still works out safe, with the obvious advantage of less disrupted schooling for those kids to offset the risk. I guess we’ll see but it seems like it’s not too early to start reaping hte benefits.

I do wonder if it might cause a knockon “everything is fine” effect but so far Scotland seems to have been relatively resistant to those

NZCol

I was in N Yorkshire for 2 days last week and it’s like nothing has ever happened in a lot of places. The Campsite was … interesting … not a lot of social distancing going on. Bogs etc were well organised. Went to the pub – one was brilliant, one way system, facemasks etc, the other one across the road was properly scary, no masks, no distancing from staff, menus on tables, shared bottles etc – again, like nothing had happened. Weird. Scotland feels much safer right now !

tjagain

IMO there are two reasons for that. One is the consistent and clear message from the scottish government and the second is the slightly smug attitude of ” we will show we are better than them”

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Finally got my tramp stamp done! Tattooist had way higher sterility procedures than my doctors or dentist has, good to see him back at work.

gauss1777
    Free Member

IMO there are two reasons for that. One is the consistent and clear message from the scottish government and the second is the slightly smug attitude of ” we will show we are better than them”

Or it could be confirmation bias.

poah
    Free Member

It’s a couple of weeks now until schools resume in Scotland – with no social distancing. What are people’s thoughts on this?

we don’t know what is happening in schools at the moment. We will hear on the 30th wither we are starting with blended learning or normal.

Kids don’t social distance anyway from what I’ve seen. Its a pain in the ass for me as I start my probation and I don’t have a timetable or know what is going on with little time left to prepare.

gauss1777
    Free Member

we don’t know what is happening in schools at the moment. We will hear on the 30th wither we are starting with blended learning or normal.

I’ve been reading the minutes from different government groups, which whilst being rather vague, strongly suggest we’ll be back on the 10th.

Kids don’t social distance anyway from what I’ve seen.

I’m not sure what your point is here.

I start my probation and I don’t have a timetable or know what is going on with little time left to prepare.

I can understand your anxiety, but from my experience your timetable will change a couple of times in the first week, then several times randomly throughout the year. Good luck. Also, the pupils will be far from ready to work at anything like the pace you’d expect or desire for the first week and a half. That will give you time to get on top of things.

Spin
    Free Member

Also, the pupils will be far from ready to work at anything like the pace you’d expect or desire for the first week and a half

It’s going to be interesting to see how pupils re-engage. Some never disengaged and some who did will take it in their stride but there’s bound to be a number who’ll struggle to get back into the structure and discipline of school.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Indeed, in my experience it takes a good week or so anyway. However, as for those who’ve been playing on their Xbox for the past (is it really) 4 or 5 months goodness only knows.

poah
    Free Member

I’ve been reading the minutes from different government groups, which whilst being rather vague, strongly suggest we’ll be back on the 10th.

we are going back on the 10th with pupils returning on the 12th.

I’m not sure what your point is here.

kids don’t social distance the now so not doing it at school isn’t going to make much difference.

However, as for those who’ve been playing on their Xbox for the past (is it really) 4 or 5 months goodness only knows

no different to what I’ve been doing mostly lol

onehundredthidiot

We’re back on the 10th. There’ll be a lot of folk reconfiguring their rooms again.
    Biggest advantage will be a greatly reduced talking at with management telling us how well they’ve done getting the kids the good results and how disappointing it is the staff let down those that didn’t achieve.

Spin
    Free Member

management telling us how well they’ve done getting the kids the good results and how disappointing it is the staff let down those that didn’t achieve.

Does that happen where you teach? Not something I’ve ever seen!

onehundredthidiot

It may be an exaggeration.
    We’re going to have an issue with results though. Previously we were never allowed to predict 8/9 for N5/H and only what they have achieved in a prelim/miniprelim, which is always improved on. So traditionally our estimates are not accurate.

Spin
    Free Member

Everyone will likely be in the same boat with that though. I don’t know the fine detail of the SQA procedure but I’d expect* them to allow for that kind of thing.

*Well, hope any way.

duckman

Spin, there will be an appeals system this year, like in the old days. Schools will be allowed to appeal with evidence, ie if they had done any unit assessments/ prelims etc. A bit of a step away from the “trusting professionals judgement” coming out of Shawfair in March mind!

Spin
    Free Member

Spin, there will be an appeals system this year, like in the old days

I know that. What I’m not sure about is exactly how the SQA will incorporate past results and estimates into the awarding of a pupil’s grade. That was the bit onehundredthidiot was worried about.

duckman

I am worried they will base what they give on previous years results, I had a cracking higher class this year in contrast to 19/20. Invites have been going out to folk involved in verification in my subject to mark evidence to support appeals.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Can we have a separate teachers thread? 😎

duckman

Let’s not,can we all just pretend we aren’t going back in a couple of weeks instead? Speculation on exams what teaching will look like is just that, 2 weeks is a long time just now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

can we all just pretend we aren’t going back in a couple of weeks instead?

My 13 year old is playing that game!

duckman

So is mine! With a wee bit of dread thrown in because he rubbered French and Drama during lockdown.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lol!

I keeptelling her it’ll be the best thing to happen, to get back into it. I’ve turned into my dad. 😂

onehundredthidiot

Duckers same here previous years higher class split between teachers last two years just me. Last year my “added value” number was best in the school. This year’s class were better. N5 EnvSci last year loads of drop out only 1 sat it and bombed. This year 14 kids not one failed the prelim because the approach I took was completely different.
    I’m guessing there will be 0,000s of appeals.

grum
    Free Member

I spent most of lockdown in Cumbria then have been back in Glasgow quite a bit since things eased a little. It certainly feels less scary in Scotland. I think the clear messaging part is very true and the fact that when key figures broke rules there were consequences. I also think Scotland is just a less individualistic society, and individualism isn’t helpful in a situation like this.

tjagain

I am going over to weggieville on the train for the first time since all this started. Hardly anyone on the train. No one without masks

onehundredthidiot

12:15 here we go hopefully answers in this briefing.

poah
    Free Member

because the approach I took was completely different

interested to hear what you did?

according to the BBC “Scotland’s cabinet is due to sign off plans today for the full-time return of pupils from 11 August”

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Did they not basically announce that weeks ago, without the details as such?

poah
    Free Member

pretty much – find out tomorrow exactly what is happening.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So, Basically, the kids will be in their normal seats, no social distancing required, teacher will have to stay 1m away, 2m if possible?.

onehundredthidiot

Yep no social distancing no ppe so no going into my elderly parents house.

onehundredthidiot

Before the summer union rep was saying no taking in of jotters, no marking of work done on paper, no transfer of materials from pupils to staff or vice versa.
    I assume after ScotGov briefing today that still stands

duckman

Yup, masks when close to kids as well.

epicyclo

grum
    …I also think Scotland is just a less individualistic society, and individualism isn’t helpful in a situation like this.

Or maybe the Scots have a better ethical base… 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

I am going over to weggieville on the train for the first time since all this started. Hardly anyone on the train. No one without masks

I did that yesterday (Central). Quiet but quite a few without masks or with mouth covered only (could be mouth breathers obvs).

My flight abroad had no shortage of folk not bothering with masks, staff didn’t seem to care.

onehundredthidiot

poah nothing huge just time consuming to set up but definitely makes a difference. name here at Google dot com.

poah
    Free Member

Teachers will be required to stay 2m away from other people “wherever possible”.

full time from the 18th at the latest

Distancing on school estate by pupils not required

Masks not mandatory

onehundredthidiot
    beamers

Loch Morlich looking busy!

Webcam Link

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I was there 7 days ago, there was virtually no one on the actual beach (a fair few in the trees) amazing what a difference a good forecast makes!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 4,691 total)

The topic ‘Easing of Scottish lockdown’ is closed to new replies.