Viewing 40 posts - 1,161 through 1,200 (of 4,691 total)
  • Easing of Scottish lockdown
  • matt_outandabout

Oh eh, I hadn’t realised she had left Stirling!

I’ll visit some day…

BoardinBob

I wonder how many other hotels are feeling similar nervousness of bookings

Crieff Hydro in their own words are in “serious trouble”.

Not surprised really. Some big expansion in recent years taking over the likes of Peebles Hydro plus the other place in Peebles. Would be a huge shame to lose them as I’m a big fan of both Crieff and Peebles

NZCol

Scotroutes – tough one, brings income into area but totally understand nervousness with influx of people

scotroutes

tough one, brings income into area but totally understand nervousness with influx of people

Which is a real tension in all rural areas.

Greybeard
    Free Member

tough one, brings income into area but totally understand nervousness with influx of people

It’s a difficult one for everybody. As a potential visitor (and based South of the border), I would normally make a point of spending money for local facilities when I could, but in the present situation they might prefer me to keep away. I guess there’ll be views on both sides.

daviek

dmbins.com has a list of trail centres that show if they are open, closed or have a date for opening. saw it last night but cant see it now. Hoping the new folk at Glenlivet cafe had a good day!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Bad news about Creiff, I’d be booking there if I could (plus a few nights at the croft).

Gonna get worse before it gets better I think.

rugbydick

Anyone know if wild camping is allowed in Scotland now?

We’re allowed to stay overnight away from home in campsites, B&B, etc as long as they don’t have shared facilities… but Mountaineering Scotland are suggesting that we need to wait until the 15th to wild camp.

Can’t see anything in the official guidance that says either way.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d go with MS advice rather than us lot.

scotroutes

Wild Camping is not currently permitted.

It was ruled out on 18th June.

The current expectation is that it will be allowed from 15th July.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-what-you-can-and-cannot-do/pages/sport-culture-and-leisure/

Can I go wild camping?

Not yet. In Phase 2 we are still requiring people to stay at home, except for limited purposes. In Phase 3 we hope to be able to be able to allow leisure travel and tourism activities, including wild camping

This guidance has not been superceded by anything more recent relating to self-contained holiday accommodation.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’d say wait for 15th July.

My pal and I are going to cycle camping up the east coast from Edinburgh to Orkney and planning on leaving about then in case we need to stop in for food or get a hostel room for a night or whatever.

iainc

Wild Camping on Loch Morlich beach seems to be the thing now, I guess the Glenmore campsite being shut is encouraging it.

scotroutes

What you’re not seeing on the webcam are the 20 campervans/motorhomes parked up last night.

I thìnk we can assume that there will be zero enforcement regardless of the current law/guidance.

iainc

^^^ jings, that’s pretty poor ! Surprised that a blind eye is being turned. With travel restrictions lifted it’s probably just going to increase for a bit…

duckman

Yet the campervan groups are up in arms at Highland councillors attempts to restrict their access to things like the Morlich carpark. Complaining that it is a minority of campervan users that are irresponsible. Judging by the numbers in Glenmore when its open compared to the carparks around the park, that ” minority” is about 49%.

scotroutes

The Loch Morlich car parks are all on land owned by FLS. Anyone parking there without permission from the landowner is already contravening the (pre-covid) law.

I do have sympathy for folk who want to park off-site (we do it ourselves) and not just because Glenmore charges are exorbitant. It’s time more councils established basic parking zones (Aires) such as already exist in the Outer Hebrides and commonly in France etc.

Liftman
    poah
    Free Member

Was at balquidder today. Pretty busy when I was leaving.

NZCol

I don’t have a problem with self contained cabs it’s those without a bog that I’m a bit 🤔 about seeing as there are no toilets open out at Glenmore

scotroutes

Glenmore beach toilets are apparently open.

scotroutes

Rumour has it that we’ve a positive case in Newtonmore. Someone who had a visitor from London in a holiday home last week. Could all be bollocks of course…

oldtennisshoes

Glenmore beach toilets are apparently open.

Indeed they are, complete with 1 way system and hand sanitiser dispensers on the outside.
    Just as well, as it’s busy – well probably not as busy as a typical July weekend, but there are plenty of folk about.
    We took a walk up to An Lochan Uaine and there were loads of extended families about enjoying the drizzle and midges.

matt_outandabout

Rumour has it that we’ve a positive case in Newtonmore. Someone who had a visitor from London in a holiday home last week. Could all be bollocks of course…

And that’s the rub – the fear can be as bad as it actually happening, and the importation of the virus is just going to happen….

scotroutes

And that’s the rub – the fear can be as bad as it actually happening, and the importation of the virus is just going to happen….

Yep – I doubt it will be the last of the stories floating about.

Spin
    Free Member

The no ‘wild’ camping camping thing is being widely ignored, there was a massive group of motorbikers camped pretty much on the verge of the road at the Commando Memorial last night, Mrs Spin reckoned at least 10 tents!

thegreatape
    Free Member

^ although the official event was cancelled it seems this was a group of bikers that included a number of ex-servicemen. They moved their tents further away from the actual memorial when asked, and all their camping equipment had been taken up by van, including a toilet facility. (I saw them heading south this morning and there was no kit on the bikes). I’m told the place was left very clean and tidy.

Spin
    Free Member

Didn’t realise it made the news! We just saw it on way to friends near there.

matt_outandabout

We passed a group of 8 lads today, all 18-25yrs old, off to camp at the far end of Loch Turret.
    I’m doubting they were siblings.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

This thread has turned into the Sunday post. 🤣

fathomer

Me and the wife are planning on heading to Peebles area first week of August for a few nights. I know this probably isn’t the place to ask but just wondered how welcome we’d be, staying in a self catering AirBnB. Last thing we want to do is piss off locals.

And does anyone have any idea when Glentress is due to open as it’s list as closed on the dmbins.com site.

Spin
    Free Member

Laggan was open today not particularly busy and splendid fun as always. Haven’t ridden there for years! Just great to get somewhere different.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sam, don’t expect it to be any different from normal, ie you’ll be fine. I’d imagine GT will open soon, the weather’s been good, so there’ll be very little in the way of trees down or water erosion, so trails will need minimal maintenance.

Enjoy mate.

scotroutes

This thread has turned into the Sunday post.

I’m rather enjoying the streaming from the Loch Morlich webcam. It’s better than the pish on telly.

https://www.lochmorlich.com/webcam

I really need to head up tomorrow and clean the lens

paladin

All the loch morlich webcam is missing is commentary from Ant&Dec

bruneep

there was a massive group of motorbikers camped pretty much on the verge of the road at the Commando Memorial last night

A spokesperson for Police Scotland said: “Officers have been made aware of complaints around a group camping at Commando Memorial, Spean Bridge.
    Officers attended and spoke to the group.
    Advice has been given and the group has advised they will move on in the morning and will clean up after themselves.
    Officers will continue to monitor the area during the night.”
    They were apparently too pished to move on, they have now moved on after tidying up.
    The initial Police complaint came from a former commando via a press outlet i’m led to believe. due to it being the area they camped on (area designated for the spreading of veteran commandos ashes).
    They are believed to be from the Manchester area

scotroutes

Funny place to line up for a pish

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is there anything more embarrassing than a gang of fat, middle aged motorcyclists? That’s before you even start on those jackets! 🤣

trail_rat
    Free Member

Is there anything more embarrassing than a gang of fat, middle aged motorcyclists

Exhibit a. Able bodied Ebikers 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1,161 through 1,200 (of 4,691 total)

The topic ‘Easing of Scottish lockdown’ is closed to new replies.