Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 4,691 total)
  • Easing of Scottish lockdown
  • tjagain

I do not see anything contradictory in the five miles. Initially it was exercise from home only. then it was loosened to you can drive five miles to start your exercise. Not 5 miles to do your exercise this was at the same time that angling and similar was allowed. so if like my mum you can only walk 3 or 4 miles she does now have the ability to drive a bit so she can vary the walk

Spin
    Free Member

What’s contradictory about it ?

The 5 mile limit wasn’t in the Lockdown regs but appeared in the Phase 1 guidelines so that was confusing/contradictory. It was also unclear whether it meant you couldn’t drive more than 5miles or that you couldn’t be more than 5 miles from your house. Initially I thought it was to do with driving but the actual guidance was not entirely clear on that. Also, all other things being equal, why is it any different to drive 40 miles from your house and ride 40 miles from your house?

tjagain

The five miles was a losening not tightening. Its not the limit of your travel during exercise – it allowed you to drive five miles to start your exercise

edit – crossed posts – perfectly clear to me

Initially exercise from home only. Then drive five miles to start your exercise. there never was a five mile limit on how far you could go during your exercise just a suggestion to keep it local so as to be self reliant

Spin
    Free Member

The five miles was a losening not tightening. Its not the limit of your travel during exercise – it allowed you to drive five miles to start your exercise

And yet even before the relaxation to phase one we were told that you could drive a ‘reasonable distance’ to exercise. The figure only came in with phase 1.

tjagain

Not as far as I was aware. Itr was exercise from home only

Bah

Gettting bogged down in detail;

Shall we just agree to do our best to stick with the spirit of the rules?

Spin
    Free Member

Shall we just agree to do our best to stick with the spirit of the rules?

Provided we also agree not to get tore into people for slight differences in how they view that spirit.

tjagain

What – and spoil all my fun? 😉

Agreed

Lets leave the slagging for the real numpties

trail_rat
    Free Member

Fwiw i’ve been pretty chipper during lock down.

I’ve had to work throughout. But the slower pace of work and life in general has been quite welcome.

Work was getting out of hand busy coming into this and now it’s manageable again

Ive been home throughout to see my daughter sit unaided , crawl and stand unaided.

It’s been invaluable time together that we would not have got with 30mojs between me getting home and her bed normally

Makes you reevaluatebt important things and reaffirms others.

I’m so glad I made the decision to get a new job(even if it is much busier than old one) and not be traveling globally. Some of my ex colleagues are stuck in places like Azerbaijan and Saudi since march as their company will not release them as they back to back cannot get in country .

Spin
    Free Member

Lets leave the slagging for the real numpties

The Tory Govt you mean? They are always fair game!

epicyclo

How Dundee protected its citizens from the Great Plague in the 1640s

Dundee and ‘the Great Plague’ of 1644-8

duckman

I was reading that yesterday. There is still a small section of those walls beside the DCA arts centre, near the Uni. However by the 1840’s somebody HAD written a booklet called “The filth and fever bills of Dundee.” on why life expectancy was 45.SPOILER ALERT! Involves being Irish/or poor/or not Presbyterian enough.

epicyclo

4 days, no deaths.

scotroutes

That’s a couple more campsites deciding not to open in 2020 – Sligachan on Skye and Fidden Farm on Mull.

oldtennisshoes

@scotroutes any reason given? Seems odd to just decide not to open at all. I’m hoping Glenmore is staying closed so they can upgrade the facilities 🙏😂

matt_outandabout

I’m thinking campsites have much lower overheads when operations are suspended, compared to hotel etc. Therefore arguably easier to make a decision to write a season off…?

scotroutes

Small communities worried about lots of incomers?

Cost/manpower required to do additional cleaning routines?

Limited income anyway as many are planning to only run at half capacity?

scotroutes

More sites not opening this year…

Altnaharra
    Inverewe Gardens Poolewe
    Kinlochewe
    John O’ Groats
    Morvenview Caithness
    Morvich
    Wick Caravan and Camping Site

paladin

Was reading that insurance and staffing is an issue for some campsites.

So there will be greatly reduced capacity, possibly greater than normal demand.

Try booking a pitch, everywhere is booked up (or almost).

Fewer sites still operate on the ‘first come first served basis, but some still do, so Folk who couldn’t get a booking are going to be expecting to drive around and find a site, and end up queuing up to camp in laybys.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The Calmac website is fun this morning!

scotroutes

We’re still hoping to get across to Lewis, probably 1st week in August. We were hoping that there would be some sort of priority system in place for residents, family etc.

oldtennisshoes

Oops I need to get on that!

Edit – managed to do a dummy booking to Islay, so that’s looking ok. Just need the timetable to be updated beyond 14 July.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

We were hoping that there would be some sort of priority system in place for residents, family etc.

There was lots of talk about that locally, but it’s not mentioned in the booking process. I gave up eventually, it was only to get over for a bit of hillwalking at the weekend, gonna head down to Hartfell horseshoe instead, should be fairly quiet.

Edit – Can’t book for august 1st yet Colin, only the next 2 weeks is available on a rolling basis, you’ll need to wait til around the end of July.

seosamh77
    Free Member

oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

Oops I need to get on that!

The covid test pilots aren’t be hanging about it seems! 😆

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Bookings update 30 June 2020 – Bookings for the period 1-14 July 2020.
    We are experiencing an extremely high volume of calls and traffic to our website. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Our team is working through the queue and will respond to you as soon as we can.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Test pilot mode engaged, wee day walking on the big rock booked for next wednesday, happy days! 🙂

oldtennisshoes

The covid test pilots aren’t be hanging about it seems! 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

😆 tbh, I’ll be waiting a bit, finally started working again with a bit of a bang, well fingers crossed it’s sustained and not just a backlog I’m working through, but i’m more interested in getting in as much money as I can at the minute. Though next good weekend, I’ll be for a bit of wild camping at some point no doubt. Not completely written off this weekend, yet, see how the weather looks.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Weather looks bloody awful on Friday, fingers crossed for Sat and Sun. In terms of being a ferry test pilot, I’m fairly easy osy about it, there’ll be loads of room on the boat given their only allowing 20% capacity, and looking at the bigger picture, numbers are improving, not a single person in any of the Ayrshire hospitals with covid.

Glad to hear you’ve got some work going, good stuff. 👌🏻

seosamh77
    Free Member

20% sounds no bad actually, least it’ll not be like planes, from what I’ve heard it’s brutal on them. Aye numbers are looking good, was pretty busy about today in glasgow, well, over by battlefield/hampden and ruggie way, defo shedloads more people about this week (I actually chained up my bike to jump into a wee tesco, then just decided, f that, I’ll go later on the night! 😆 ).

But yeah we have to open up as much as we can and find the level that’s workable.

Tbh and I don’t think an immediate bump will happen, well least not massive, it’ll be more localised, so hopefully they’ve got the ability to action that kinda thing. It’s more november/dec/jan as winter takes hold which = more indoor interaction + full on complacency that is the biggest concern. I don’t think Sturgeon will for a minute stop and say right that’s plenty between now and then.

Aye touch wood it’s kicking in, see what happens, but it’s most welcome!

scotroutes

Another site NOT opening in 2020, citing increased costs and reduced capacity.

https://www.invernahavon.com/

poah
    Free Member

So where are people going at the weekend?

Northwind

My plan was tomorrow, do laps of Angry Sheep til my legs drop off. But looking at the forecast, maybe not. The valley’ll be hoaching at the weekend so I’m thinking maybe Comrie…

It’ll be a solo effort though as I have no match fitness.

mashr

The new owners of the Ardnamurchan camp site are opening, full up until the 24th of August now

poah
    Free Member

I’m staying away from trail centres st the moment.

metalheart
    Free Member

Face coverings mandatory in shops from the 9th…

Think they’ve been advisory since last week?

Northwind

mashr

The new owners of the Ardnamurchan camp site are opening, full up until the 24th of August now

…and is run by an STW Legend ™

honeybadgerx

I’m off next week and weather looking decent in the borders so considering a 2-3 day bike packing trip to try out some random trails I’ve been thinking about for a while. It may turn into a walking holiday but don’t know until I try them!

matt_outandabout

and is run by an STW Legend ™

Who dat den?

In related news, Dunblane Hydro are laying off about 80% of staff, currently less than 8 bookings a night through August and September (200 rooms), three corporate or weddings booked for 2021 when they’re usually more than half booked a year ahead… Apparently income is less than the electricity bill for the foreseeable.

That’s two junior_oab’s out of a job.

I wonder how many other hotels are feeling similar nervousness of bookings?

dovebiker

Yeah! Moved to Speyside last week – I’m really surprised about how quiet it’s been up here in comparison to Hampshire and how few people are about. Rode 10 miles of the Speyside Way south of Aberlour on Saturday and didn’t see anyone – expect it to be hoachin’ by the weekend!

scotroutes

Moved to Speyside last week – I’m really surprised about how quiet it’s been up here in comparison to Hampshire and how few people are about.

Folk up here are seeing a marked uptick in non-locals and have been voicing concern about it but I do think many have been somewhat removed from what has been happening in other places. Of course, with that has come a certain complacency about following the restrictions (although there are also mitigating practical issues too). I do hope everyone is prepared for the “onslaught” we are about to experience this week onwards.

scotroutes

matt – it’s Jo Cardwell that now has the Ardnamurchan Campsite.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 4,691 total)

The topic ‘Easing of Scottish lockdown’ is closed to new replies.