Viewing 40 posts - 4,161 through 4,200 (of 4,691 total)
  • Easing of Scottish lockdown
  • Spin
    Free Member

I’m taking it as notice that I have two weeks use of Highland Region before the hordes of trolley lickers arrive

Just back from a few days in the far North. Hardly a car or van to be seen on the NC500. It just seemed like too good an opportunity to miss!

matt_outandabout

Well the islands have the right idea – “broken” big ferry..? 😉

scotroutes

Makes my efforts at Dalwhinnie last week look a bit pedestrian.

franksinatra

It still feels like we are a long way off from relatives south of the border being allowed to travel up and stay with us. That is a shame.

ElShalimo

aren’t the big ferries usually broken when they need them the most?

I don’t understand CalMac – are the regular issues poor management, poor maintenance or lack of funds?

matt_outandabout

I’d be interested to know how Calmac reliability compares to similar other ferries in say Norway or Canada.

scotroutes

aren’t the big ferries usually broken when they need them the most?

Like your central heating only breaks down in the winter?

scotroutes

ScotGov have been fighting back on the option of using the fast boat from the Orkney run to help with route resilience. I think it’s still there as a future contingency option while the Western Islanders have been pushing for trials etc so it can be quickly brought into use.

dovebiker

CalMac COVID restrictions means that some ferries are only running 25% of passenger capacity and some routes are already fully booked for May so regardless of whether some of the islands open up or not, there’s simply limited means of getting to them.

hels
    Free Member

Big signs going up along Peebles High Street this morning reminding people to observe social distancing and public health advice. And the chip shop on the high street was getting a massive truck load of pre-peeled spuds delivered. I wonder what all this can mean?

matt_outandabout

@dovebiker – that is interesting.

ElShalimo

And the chip shop on the high street was getting a massive truck load of pre-peeled spuds delivered. I wonder what all this can mean?

They’ve finally broken Maggie’s 1926 vintage tatty peeler? ’tis a shame as it was a family heirloom

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Meanwhile the other chippy will always be closing as you turn up post ride.

hels
    Free Member

Thats cos I call them and warn them Steven…

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’d come round and raid your fridge but I don’t fancy cat food.

Northwind

hels
    Free Member

Big signs going up along Peebles High Street this morning reminding people to observe social distancing and public health advice. And the chip shop on the high street was getting a massive truck load of pre-peeled spuds delivered. I wonder what all this can mean?

Imma come down tomorrow, park like a **** and lick everything.

convert

From the SCA (Scottish Canoe Association) today:-

Travel: From Friday, some travel restrictions will be relaxed to allow travel across Scotland for the purposes of meeting outdoors with friends and family. This will allow travel for informal physical activity, but not for organised sport. Travel restrictions for wider purposes – including organised sport, leisure, shopping, visiting hospitality premises or staying in tourist accommodation – will remain until 26 April, as originally planned, when all travel restrictions within Scotland will be lifted.

Outdoor gatherings: Up to 6 adults from 6 households can meet outside. The exemption for groups of up to 15 adults taking part in organised outdoor sport remains.

The accelerated easing of travel restrictions on Friday 16 April is aimed at improving the mental health of the nation by encouraging more people to see small groups of family and friends in an informal outdoor setting. Travel for organised sport and physical activity will still be able to resume as originally planned on Monday 26 April. Please note this is consistent with Scottish Government’s phased approach to the easing of lockdown restrictions.

I may have lost it further up the thread but certainly they seem to understanding tomorrow’s easing not having any change to going out to play if you play is organised or to go to a shop- it’s only for social meets outside, not the sport.

If so, not very well communicated as it passed me by. Been a bit busy mind.

scotroutes

I may have lost it further up the thread but certainly they seem to understanding tomorrow’s easing not having any change to going out to play if you play is organised or to go to a shop- it’s only for social meets outside, not the sport.

If so, not very well communicated as it passed me by. Been a bit busy mind.

Yep – I think it was @poly that highlighted it. Of course, what if I travel the breadth of the LA to see a friend and we both decide to ride/walk/paddle etc?  The guidance is now so full of holes that it escapes logic (and that’s without starting to question the relative risk of heading into the hills on your own vs sitting in someone else’s garden).

On the positive side, it might help folk realise why laws take so long to introduce. Consultation, white papers, committees etc are all necessary phases so that we don’t always end up with hastily-written and ill conceived legislation that doesn’t even make sense.

matt_outandabout

The guidance is now so full of holes that it escapes logic (and that’s without starting to question the relative risk of heading into the hills on your own vs sitting in someone else’s garden).

This.

poly
    Free Member

Convert, that statement from SCA is consistent with the approach all other sports are taking, ie. SportScotland have told them. But the restriction is for ORGANISED sport (the legislation defines organised but think – club activities, events, stuff with a formal governing body over seeing it).

So @scotroutes, not only can you go and meet a friend in your own LA you could pop down and meet me, and TJ and all of us ride together on an informal ride.

I haven’t found the legislation yet which I assume means it’s not published yet which is pretty crap given there’s so much ambiguity. It’s just as well Police Scotland are taking a light touch approach as I imagine some defence lawyers would have fun with people not possibly being able to know the details of the law.

scotroutes

I haven’t found the legislation yet which I assume means it’s not published yet which is pretty crap given there’s so much ambiguity.

That’s been another issue. It’s been so hard to find, it’s piece-meal, and isn’t being updated anywhere near quickly enough. As above, it’s hard during a pandemic so I’m not really having a go at anyone but, jeez, it’s making it difficult to even try to stay within the law (especially as the guidance has so many ambiguities).

All the rural hotspots are gearing up for tomorrows onslaught so I reckon the majority are seeing this as “brakes off”.

Northwind

TBH this short spell seems a bodge ruleswise but I think that’s more excusable/tolerable considering it’s literally a 10 day acceleration rather than a policy pillar. If the choice was “let’s relax some stuff early but maybe it’s a bit of a mess” and “let’s just stick to the plan and that way it’ll be better organised” I know which one I’d choose.

But “you may travel to exercise in a group but not to exercise alone” is something I’m going to ignore for sure, for these 10 days. And then it stops being an issue in the mainland once we all go tier 3.

I can see the dilemma with laying out exactly what the rules will be on future dates is that it encourages people to start cutting corners early, we’ve seen that already… “Well if it’s OK in a week then I might as well do it today”. But right now it feels like it’s gone too far the other way and it’s hard to plan without a really clear “on this day, it’s X, on this day it’s Y”.

Planning trips outside of the local area again did make me look at the vehicle sharing rules… I didn’t realise that they’re exactly the same all the way from level 4 to 0- “Avoid car sharing with people outside extended household wherever possible”. PLanning a short drive to ride with a mate on sunday and it’s no hardship to both drive, but, I’d kind of assumed that was a higher tier thing not a universal.

seosamh77
    Free Member

scotroutes

That’s been another issue. It’s been so hard to find, it’s piece-meal, and isn’t being updated anywhere near quickly enough.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/primary+secondary?title=The%20Health%20Protection%20%28Coronavirus%29%20%28Restrictions%20and%20Requirements%29%20%28Local%20Levels%29%20%28Scotland%29

It’s usually through these they do it (go on to page 2 for the original SSI that all the amendments relate to ), and when I’ve been looking it’s generally updated the main document on the day or there abouts. Pretty sure it’s usually updated on the day or the day after things come into effect. Haven’t looked at every amendment every time though.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2021/186/contents/made

That one seems to be the latest amendment still to be applied. I thought there’d be a bit more to it mind, unless there’s something else to get added tomorrow?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Northwind

But “you may travel to exercise in a group but not to exercise alone” i

where does it say that?

Northwind

seosamh77

where does it say that?

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-travel-and-transport/#exceptions

> Meeting others (in groups of up to 6 adults from 6 households) socially outdoors, for recreation or exercise. Under 12s do not count towards the number of people meeting or households.

It’s not well worded IMO but it is definitely “meeting others” and is the only exception for adults to exercise.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Well those are really just relevant to gatherings.

i think there must be an amendment that will go through tomorrow, because if they are lifting travel restrictions they’ll need to repeal these 2 sections.

PART 4
    Restrictions on movement

Restrictions on leaving Level 4 area
    14.—(1) A person who lives in a Level 4 area must not leave or remain away from that area.
    (2) But a person who lives in a Level 4 area may leave the area in order to travel to another part of the same area.]

Restrictions on entering Level 4 area
    15.—(1) A person who does not live in a Level 4 area must not enter or remain in that area.
    (2) But a person who does not live in a Level 4 area may travel through it in order to reach a place outwith the area.

Which will allow exercise anywhere alone. That’s the only thing restricting it as far as I can see. And well, they are lifting travel restrictions tomorrow eh…

Laws really just tend to tell you what you can’t do, not what you can do, unless there’s some ambiguity, hence the exceptions for leaving your area being spelled out.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Actually it is a bit stupid if there aren’t any further repeals tbh. now I think about it. Youse might have a point. as if they aren’t amending or repealing those 2 sections above, they should be spelling out a lot more in the exceptions.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Just had a wee gander does mention exercise alone now. 😆

dovebiker

Scottish Government have imposed a Rural Clearwayorder on the A82 from Tyndrum to Ballachulish to stop people stopping on the verges – doesn’t apply to lay-bys and existing parking places.

onehundredthidiot

A lass from Glasgow young hillwalking group on BBC this morning. Saying she was meeting friends for a walk today and tomorrow and was looking forward to getting organised groups walks going from the 26th.
    She certainly knew what they could and couldn’t do but I’m not sure that it’s obvious.

BoardinBob

Glentress surprisingly quiet today. Got to the car park at 10am and I had my pick of what car park to use and the pick of spaces.

Trails were quiet too

singlespeedstu

Only saw three walkers and no other bikes at all in Yair today.

bruneep

Car park at Aboyne trails was rammed when we came back to cars, Just ours when we arrived a 0700. So rammed that some guy reversed into his mates van 😂

poah
    Free Member

Comrie had a lot of kids but plenty of parking. Great to see so many families out

duncancallum

Loads camping round glentrool today. Open fires as well..

Not surprised.

phil5556

Quiet in Kirroughtree yesterday.
    One group behind coached and one other guy out on the trails.
    Few walkers and people having a coffee at the cafe.

Judging by the traffic getting home everyone had come to the seaside.

militantmandy
    Free Member

Golfie was utterly glorious this weekend. Not any busier than a normal sunny day really. Dry as bone! God it’s good to be back riding proper trails again!

rapidrob95
    Free Member

Well we have heard from both rental properties on Mull (one week at each), that we will be able to go as planned, from England, on 10th May! Not sure where they got their info from as I can’t see anything certain online, but it’s a good sign. Does anyone know if NS is still giving her update today?
    Edit – getting ahead of myself, update was promised on 20th.

poly
    Free Member

@rapidrob95 – the big updates come on Tuesdays. I don’t think your rentals on Mull can say that with absolute certainty but all the indicative dates have been for this to be possible. There’s nothing in the Scottish or UK data that would suggest they are likely to pause that plan. The only thing I can see causing a major issue is either (1) England specific outbreaks of SA or Brazil variants that Scotland would prefer not to import; (2) A divergence on policy/approach to overseas travel: I suspect there would be more support for keeping England-Scotland restrictions if England puts travel corridors in with areas that aren’t as well controlled as the UK (eg. a lot of Europe right now).

matt_outandabout
Viewing 40 posts - 4,161 through 4,200 (of 4,691 total)

The topic ‘Easing of Scottish lockdown’ is closed to new replies.