Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,291 total)
  • Easing of Scottish lockdown
  • poah

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52745643

Teachers back to work in June with pupils having phased return with a mix of online/in class work.

Can meet other people from other households keeping social distancing.

In addition, people will be able to travel – preferably by walking or cycling – for recreation, although they will be asked to remain “where possible” within or close to their own local area.

Premier Icon swavis
    Subscriber

Excellent news. Plenty of time for teachers to plan and get things organised for a part time return to classes after the summer hol’s.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Sounds very familiar.

chrisdb

In addition, people will be able to travel – preferably by walking or cycling – for recreation, although they will be asked to remain “where possible” within or close to their own local area.

Doesn’t sound particularly enforceable.

Game on.

Premier Icon P-Jay
    Subscriber

Hopefully Wales will follow suit shortly, our Schools are in-line with English schools in terms of terms and they’re “hoping” to have some back this year.

Premier Icon mashr
    Subscriber

“small groups” could do with a bit of refining

Oh, and I could rreeeaaalllyyy do with seeing some info about nurseries

Sounds very familiar.

Aye, just coming into line a couple of weeks after England, as predicted. Golf being allowed again will put a lot more people onto the shared paths around here, as the courses have been choc full of doggos recently.

Edit – are Greggs open in England?

Premier Icon DickBarton
    Subscriber

Sounds very familiar.

Thankfully, this isn’t a contest and seems to be the way things are happening everywhere to reduce lockdown…

Premier Icon robbo1234biking
    Subscriber

But the English one was criticised about a week ago. Delivery may be better with Scotland but the concept is the same.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

Teachers back to work in June

I wonder what that means. Teachers have been working but teaching/ setting/ marking and communication from home. I wonder if it actually means back working on site.

But the English one was criticised about a week ago. Delivery may be better with Scotland but the concept is the same.

Big difference is kids (apart from key worker kids) are not going into school until August in Scotland rather than from 1st June in England.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

robbo1234biking
    Subscriber

The english one was largely criticised for being confusing, and being too early. Scotland doesn’t seem to have the huge amount of the virus in the population as England does, so it might work out different. We’ll see I guess, still seems quick to me.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

11th August for pupils – and on a part-time basis.

And that’s only on the basis that each Phase of lockdown lifting goes ahead supported by ongoing reductions in cases.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Doesn’t sound particularly enforceable.

No, but they are banking on some people breaking it but most people doing what they’re asked.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

“small groups” could do with a bit of refining

Phase 1 is one other household, outdoors only, still distancing.

It said school kids transitioning – from nursery to P1 and from primary to secondary – would be prioritised. Thank Christ – someone else can have a shot at looking after my daughter (due to go to school in August)!

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

It would appear that magic tennis balls are also available in Scotland.

Premier Icon mashr
    Subscriber

Phase 1 is one other household, still distancing.

But also “in small groups” so big families can/can’t meet up? Don’t think it’ll affect me but it’s still vague

No, but they are banking on some people breaking it but most people doing what they’re asked.

She also stated that “rule #1 still applies”

Not like those evil gates in Englandshire….

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Sounds very familiar.

Apart from the very different timescale, the fact that they have committed to allow industries to have time to plan ahead (e.g. under this phase construction can plan and organise without full opening of sites, schools can allow teacher back on site for preparation etc) and the fact that Nicola ended with a nice gentle version of ‘dinnae be breaking Rule No.1, or I’ll wind the lot of ye back in.’

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Thank Christ – someone else can have a shot at looking after my daughter (due to go to school in August)!

mrs_oab is next to me planning EY transitions into school for her LA….

Premier Icon P-Jay
    Subscriber

The English one was largely criticised for being confusing, and being too early. Scotland doesn’t seem to have the huge amount of the virus in the population as England does, so it might work out different. We’ll see I guess, still seems quick to me.

As I understand it, Wales and Scotland have a different set of Challenges to England. Because of our sparser Populations the Virus didn’t spread as far or wide. You could argue that lock-down came too late for England, but not for us.

The challenge here is similar to the one New Zealand faced, it’s possible, even with people travelling for work from others parts of the UK etc that we may eradicate the Virus, but unlike NZ if we lifted the Lock-down here, there would be a sudden influx of People from denser populated parts of the UK causing a local second-wave (you might even argue a first wave)

By waiting a few weeks for things to come more under control in England (and dodging 2 BH weekends). Makes that less likely.

Also, lets be Honest, if you were part of the SNP in Scotland, or Labour in Wales any opportunity to show the Tories in England to be reckless and more concerned about Money than People wouldn’t be wasted.

retro83

Northwind

Scotland doesn’t seem to have the huge amount of the virus in the population as England does, so it might work out different. We’ll see I guess, still seems quick to me.

Seems like most the UK is about the same and Wales for whatever reason is higher.

Cases
    England  260/100,000
    Scotland 271/100,000
    Wales    404/100,000
    NI       245/100,000

That’s according to the NY Times
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/europe/united-kingdom-coronavirus-cases.html#states

Premier Icon tjagain
    Subscriber

lockdown came too late for us as well. No doubt but hindsight is 20/20 We have had at least as high infection rates as England have we not?

From what I have seen folk are sticking to the rules / applying them sensibly here by and large – compared to what I have heard of in England

Seems to me like this roadmap is reasonably clear and thus hopefully easier to stick to

Sounds very familiar.

…apart from the addition of a weeks notice and the 48 page explanatory pamphlet explaining the detail of what she just said.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

But also “in small groups”

Ah- this bit?

derms

Massive difference is scotland can’t go travel wherever they want for excercise. have to stay in own local area. as well as this there are extremely clear rules and timeframes for each step and announced well in advance. I dont think its that ‘similar’ in this regard

Premier Icon rugbydick
    Subscriber

@scotroutes
    Page 39 under “Seeing family and friends”

More outdoor activity permitted – such as being able to sit in the park, as long as physically distanced.
    Meeting up with another household outdoors, in small numbers, including in gardens, but with physical distancing required

Doesn’t say whether it’s 1 other household or 1 other household at a time though.

Spin

The thing I don’t see mentioned in this thread so far is that in the first phase the travel for exercise is described as:

Permitted to travel short distances for outdoor leisure and exercise but advice to stay within a short distance of your local community (broadly within 5 miles) and travel by walk, wheel and cycle where possible.

So massively more restricted than England.

Premier Icon rugbydick
    Subscriber

So massively more restricted than England.

It’s almost like it’s a well thought out easing of the restrictions, rather than a free for all…

Spin

It’s almost like it’s a well thought out easing of the restrictions, rather than a free for all…

I think there’s quite a lot of room between the travel free for all in England and stay within 5 miles of your house for another 7 weeks minimum in Scotland. It’s not really a relaxation at all.

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

so its OK to drive 30 miles to hit a wee white ball but not to drive 30miles and cycle somewhere

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

Seems like most the UK is about the same and Wales for whatever reason is higher.

Cases
    England 260/100,000
    Scotland 271/100,000
    Wales 404/100,000
    NI 245/100,000

Reported cases only really reflects testing though.

That link also included per capita deaths:

DEATHS PER 100,000

England
    Scotland
    Wales
    Northern Ireland

I’m personally happy with taking a slightly more cautious approach

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

Larry_Lamb

Thankfully, this isn’t a contest and seems to be the way things are happening everywhere to reduce lockdown…

Tell that to Jimmy Krankie, she berated the hell out of the ‘English plan’ and said we’re doing our own thing because the English plan is irresponsible.

Then caves and realises it wasn’t such a bad plan and the best thing to do is align them because its better for the public and the science advise is the same received for all 4 nations (SAGE advises them all).

Premier Icon P-Jay
    Subscriber

‘We’ had been told it was because we were so hot on Testing here in Wales… certainly at the start it looked as if Newport was a huge hot spot of Covid, but it proved not to be the case, we just tested more there.

Looking at the data now though, it seems the ‘Deaths by 100k’ figure is pretty high in Wales too.

Massive differences per region though, some of the more remote places have very low figures.

so its OK to drive 30 miles to hit a wee white ball but not to drive 30miles and cycle somewhere

I’d be astonished if at least 90% of the population of Scotland didn’t live within 5 miles of a golf course.

Where did you get 30 miles from?

Premier Icon imnotverygood
    Subscriber

It’s all being done fantastically better in Scotland obvs
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-52747041
    I don’t think anyone is really listening. Once England’s rules relaxed that was it as far as Scotland was concerned from what I could see.

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

next door is a member at Aboyne golf club 29.4 miles from house to GC. Therefore can I drive to Aboyne and ride there?

poah

Tell that to Jimmy Krankie, she berated the hell out of the ‘English plan’ and said we’re doing our own thing because the English plan is irresponsible.

Phase one isn’t much different what we actually have the now. That is totally different to what England have done.

p.s. really mature calling the first minister Jimmy Krankie.

next door is a member at Aboyne golf club 29.4 miles from house to GC. Therefore can I drive to Aboyne and ride there?

Therefore he can’t drive to play there would be the inference i would have taken.

If I was a member at Augusta National then it wouldn’t be OK for me to get on the next plane to Georgia, would it?

A line needs to be drawn somewhere and, in this case, it’s a circle of roughly 5 miles radius.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,291 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.