Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Easiest way to add inhibitor to CH
  • airvent
    Free Member

To add inhibitor to our central heating system can I just pour this straight into the loft tank or will this just sit in the tank rather than being circulated?

Flaperon

I wouldn’t. You can get inhibitor in pressurised cans that will fire straight into a towel rail or radiator.

footflaps

Easiest way is pour it in the header tank and then just drain a few litres out of the system somewhere to draw in the inhibitor in the header tank.

Or if you have a magnetic filter you can close that off, drain it and then fill with inhibitor – that’s how I do it now (used to just pour in the header tank).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ads678

I had some work done recently and then needed to drain the system and re fill it after a week or so to remove the cleaning stuff or something, my heating guy just told me to open the bathroom towel rail and poor the inhibitor in there before refilling the system.

footflaps

my heating guy just told me to open the bathroom towel rail and poor the inhibitor in there before refilling the system.

Easy if the system has been drained first, not so easy if it’s full…..

airvent
    Free Member

In via the heated towel rail makes sense, presumably could just open the top and siphon off a litre of liquid then replace it with inhibitor. Thanks all

footflaps

In via the heated towel rail makes sense, presumably could just open the top and siphon off a litre of liquid then replace it with inhibitor. Thanks all

Do remember to isolate it first! Otherwise you’ll just be draining the mains via the header tank….

Flaperon

https://fernox.com/product/protector-f1-express-400ml/

Idiot-proof, even for my plumbing capabilities.

airvent
    Free Member

Do remember to isolate it first! Otherwise you’ll just be draining the mains via the header tank….

I swear I’d have remembered if I’d not been reminded to… honest!

andylc
    Free Member

Bathroom towel rail is super easy if you’ve got one with a valve at the very top.
    1) Turn the thermostatic valves off. Bleed radiator using top valve
    2) Loosen a bottom nut and drain out the approximate amount you want to put in. Tighten it again.
    3) Close bleed valve and then remove it completely using aforementioned adjustable spanner.
    4) Add inhibitor via the top valve. If you get it right you’ll fill it back up again completely. Replace bleed valve. Done!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Easiest way to add inhibitor to CH’ is closed to new replies.