Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Earthing a ceiling light
  • rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Replacing an old plastic light fitting and the OH has picked up a fancy metal, non double insulated light fitting. This obviously has three wires, live neutral and earth.

The existing ceiling wiring however consists of two neutrals (black) and one live (red) being of 1960’s vintage.

Solid walls and concrete ceiling so this wiring is run through metal conduit as far as I know. There is a round metal fitting on the ceiling currently sitting proud by maybe 1cm of the plaster finish and I can see the nuts that will presumably hold the conduit rods.

Can this metal round fitting be used as a suitable earth for the light fitting or is it much easier to go double insulated?

I have a multimeter and I believe you can check for earth if required.

Circuit breaker renewed in the past two years if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

markspark
    Free Member

Getting a double insulated fitting would be the easiest option. You could use the conduit as an Earth connection but would need to be able to do a Zs test to determine if it’s of a low enough resistance to trip the circuit breaker in the event of a fault. Another option is if you’re lucky you could pull a single c.p.c through the conduit run from the board.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Appreciate the prompt reply.

I think trying to pull cable through for this is far more trouble than its worth so hopefully we can get an alternative light.

It will be the same throughout the house obviously so will note for future purchases 😂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.