Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Earplugs for gigs
  • egb81
    Free Member

Having spent an awful lot of time over the years watching noisy bands in loud venues, I have tinnitus already. I really need to get some decent ear plugs for gigs now so does anyone have any recommendations for some that’ll cute some of the noise but without muffling the sound?

allthegear
    Free Member

I’m very happy with mine from https://www.ultimateear.com/
    Rachel

egb81
    Free Member

They look great but they’re somewhat out of my price range. I think I’m a bit more budget minded on that front. <£50 would be manageable.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigblackshed
    tewit
    Free Member

Hang on I’ll ask my mum what she uses. She’s 80 this year.😁

tjagain

laserlite are the ones that fit me best of all the cheapo foam ones.

lots_of_hope

Having been struggling with ringing ears after gigs I have used Senner MusicPro – £22 from Amazon. Very impressed when I have used them.

hot_fiat

Very pleased with my flare isolates. Have used them in a couple of gigs now, including Bob Mould the other week and they’ve been brilliant.

tewit
    Free Member

My mum says laser light or Ear peace are best. From Snore Store.

northernsoul

I use these (£12 from Amazon):

Etymotic Research ER20-SMB-C Standard Headset Ear Plugs

I’ve found them pretty good for the cost, but if I went to gigs more often I’d invest in a more expensive pair.

retro83
    Free Member

LaserLites muffle the sound too much for me to use at a gig. Good for when I’m using my insanely loud hoover though.

doris5000

if you live in a city, head down to your local drum shop, (or electric guitar shop) who will sell a wide range of earplugs, advise you on the different sorts, and even give a rough guess of what size you need! Then buy whatever is around £20.

I have the expensive moulded ones, which are amazing, but probably best to start with the cheaper ones. It’s really worth protecting your ears though! You’ll be surprised how much better gigs sound with earplugs in. The bass will still hit you in the chest but you’ll be able to hear a lot more detail when the ripping distortion is toned down. And occasionally, when you go ‘i wonder how loud this gig really is’ and take them out for 5 seconds, you’ll realise just how much you’re probably damaging your ears without them!

richardkennerley

My mate goes to a lot of gigs, sometimes a few a week! He’s been using plugs for a while and has recommended these, says they do what he needs then to!

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/vic-firth-vf-ear-r-regular-earplugs?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwvuzkBRAhEiwA9E3FUiWDjDhad-bLMCFJBAO6QEs4NlLKEnG6m4R8q1n9UF1zVluvg5-eVBoCIHsQAvD_BwE

egb81
    Free Member

Cheers folks. Plenty of good options here.

Flaperon

I did as others recommend and visited my local music shop. The difference it makes is profound – no more ringing ears the night after; no more distortion; and you actually get to hear the music as opposed to being deafened by it.

No issues holding a conversation with them in (you swap out the core depending on the degree of noise reduction you want).

johndrummer
    Free Member

I use these: https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/alpine-musicsafe-pro-ear-plugs-in-silver

Work a treat for going to gigs and for playing them too.

booji
    Free Member

I got a set of Eggz Discreet after my ears got fecked at a Punk gig just before xmas, I’ve never had the chance to try them yet though." alt="null" />

sadexpunk

you know youre getting old when you bookmark a thread on earplugs for gigs 😀

*(ears still ringing from Idles on Tuesday)

roper
    Free Member

I use Music Safe Pro’s. They come with differnt noise filters and seem to work well enough. Less muffling than foam, but do remove most backf=ground chatter. I use them in the cinema and gigs. They are also discrete.

footflaps

LaserLites muffle the sound too much for me to use at a gig.

Yep, you want musician’s ear plugs, I use some with changeable inserts so you can adjust the attenuation.

grum
    Free Member

I like Ear Peace ones that come with a spare plug, different filters and a nice little key ring carry case

paul4stones

Trouble is everyone’s ears are different so what fits one may not fit another. I’ve got some of those etymotic ones ^^ which are quite discrete but don’t cut out everything (which is what you want). They don’t fit as well as some others I’ve got but they stick out and look silly. I think I’ve got extremely short and narrow ear canals though. The fit depends on how recently I’ve washed my ears out.

I use mine in a big band – playing trombone we’re usually sitting in front of the pesky trumpets who like to see who can play loudest and highest.

CountZero

@paul4stones – how about these? I’ve got several pairs of Rooth ones, which are almost identical, but are difficult to get over here, I got mine through Massdrop. The triple-flange system lets them sit deeper into the ear canal, and they don’t stick out as much as the Etymotic ones.
    One tip; moisten them slightly with your tongue before putting them in, it helps them fit better. 😉
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Senner-protection-festivals-aluminium-transparent/dp/B01FSO0020

eulach

seadog101

I’ve used These by Alpine:

MusicSafe Pro

Worked really well and very comfortable.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Another MusicSafe Pro user here. They’re okay, good enough that I’m not really tempted to pay extra for the molded proper-jobs. I actually find they help with conversations in noisy environments because they cut background noise. A smidge more high end wouldn’t go amiss.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Earplugs for gigs’ is closed to new replies.