Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Earning no claims as a named driver
  • mudmuncher

I have an email from Elephant saying I was a named driver on my wife’s policy for 11 years with no claims during this period in my name.

Anyone aware of any insurance companies that will accept this as NCB on a new policy in my name?

Elephant will of course but the are nearly 2X the price of the cheaper online quotes I could find.

maccruiskeen

Look for companies that do NCB ‘mirroring’

Really its just a case of doing the comparison site legwork (whilst being careful with the phone numbers and email addresses you give them as no matter how many boxes you tick you’ll get spammed to buggery)

Some sites ask more/different questions that others and in this case the ones that make the difference are ones that actually ask if you’re a named driver on anyone else’s policy.

As you’re example above though saying they’re giving you a discount and actually being cheaper aren’t the same thing.

A thing to be aware of though is the mirrored no claims is useful this year – next year it’ll probably be trumped by your own accrued NCB… which will of course only be one year. So you might not be able to get as good a deal next year as you can this.

mudmuncher

A thing to be aware of though is the mirrored no claims is useful this year – next year it’ll probably be trumped by your own accrued NCB… which will of course only be one year. So you might not be able to get as good a deal next year as you can this.

Surely if a company accepts the 11 years NCB I have on my wife’s policy then next year I’d have 12 years of my own?

I was thinking of going with Elephant for 1 year to get the NCB transferred over to me then in the following year search for cheaper quotes using the 12yrs NCB I’ll hopefully have by then in my own name.

maccruiskeen

Surely if a company accepts the 11 years NCB I have on my wife’s policy then next year I’d have 12 years of my own?

You’d think… but they’re not ‘giving’ you 11 years NCB they’re making reference to someone else’s NCB because you have non. Once you have NCB of your own then that trumps the reference to someone else’s policy.

To be honest…. it doesnt make that much difference. I have switched from running one vehicle to running two. That meant I effectively had one driving identity as someone with no claims for 25 years and on the second vehicle a policy with zero NCB. In practice (with a bit of shopping around) theres not really much difference in premiums between the two policies.

Your NCB is always claiming to give you a ‘discount’ but you only see the ‘discounted’ premium – you’re not told the value of that premium without the discount. If you’re a young or inexperienced driver it probably is a pretty significant difference. When you’re older its not that big a deal.

jimjam
    Free Member

Been through this farce recently. My wife and I both have 10+ years of clean driving but owing to swapping around cars, her being named for a while, then me being named for a while we are in the situation of having to prove to her insurer that she was a named driver on my policies as her previous insurer has gone out of business.

I managed to find policies dating back to 2012 and she has forwarded them to her insurer to avail of a discount offered at the quote phase but now they are demanding letters from each of the five insurers 🙄

Honestly, it’s the perfect racket. I recently swapped from 7+ years NCB on a private car and am now paying through the nose for commercial insurance because my NCB was built up on a car not a pickup (despite about 5 years driving pickups).

finishthat
    Free Member

sheilas wheels took my renewal statement as proof of my wifes named drivers no claims – 9 years no quibble

mudmuncher

Do Sheila’s wheels insure blokes?

finishthat
    Free Member

yep Bruce too

BearBack
    Free Member

Your NCB is always claiming to give you a ‘discount’ but you only see the ‘discounted’ premium

here in insurance monopoly land my NCB gives me a very real 43% discount.. sadly I still pay about 80quid a month per vehicle.
    I’d love to port my wifes clean driving record and convert that to an NCB then port that back over here to get a discount for her as shes named on my policies.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Earning no claims as a named driver’ is closed to new replies.