Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Early morning waking
  • ratherbeintobago

17mo daughter is up between 0430 and 0500 every morning for the last two weeks. Any suggestions what we might do, other than accepting this is a phase and will (hopefully) pass?

Andy

ask1974
    Free Member

Make sure you havo some good TV recorded, early morning TV sucks. Buy some quality tea to enjoy and be thankful it’s 4.30am not earlier…

Tracker1972
    Free Member

It will pass, and at least it is only half an hour and predictable. I am guessing it has been much worse at times in the last 17 months though. I know it’s been hard work here but then number 2 is 4 weeks today but the last one gives up hope it will improve 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

Isn’t that normal getting up time for everyone? 😉

I wake naturally around that time at this time of year, it’s all good, you can do more things
    I’ve already been for a 45 min run and had breakfast

Don’t fight it 🙂

the-muffin-man

Have you got black-out blinds/curtains? If not get some of those to keep the light out.

At around 3yrs old my daughter started waking up at 5am . . . she did that for two years or so! Even now (at 9) she’s up at 6.30 most mornings – I full expect this early rising to stop when she goes to secondary school!

woffle
    Free Member

Don’t fight it

This.

Ours are 5 and 7 and the youngest can still be a pain with getting up early. The eldest has thankfully started to like her bed and we’re getting glimpses of the teenager to come in her increasingly sleep-loving behaviour (never thought we’d be telling one of the kids to hurry up and get out of bed, the last 7 years it’s been the other way round)

Having said that I’ve always been an early riser – up at 3:45 and out the door for 4am to get to work this morning so it’s perhaps bothered me less than it might

bruneep

It will pass, then they become teenagers. Can’t get my oldest out of his bed until about 2pm now 😐

hora
    Free Member

Shes hungry. What time does she have her tea? Try shifting this back an hour.

We have a bottle of milk made up ready incase horajnr wakes- he normally wakes this time too. He drinks then falls asleep again. (Hes 2 now).

Cletus

+1 blackout blinds

You could also start going to bed earlier yourself so you still get 7 hours kip

Cletus

+1 blackout blinds

You could also start going to bed earlier yourself so you still get 7 hours kip

UncleFred
    Free Member

Ours (17months) wake up at 5am, come in with us, have some milk, and usually go back to sleep until 6.30/7.00, they’ve done this since the start of the year.

hora
    Free Member

Mrshora was worried about getting him out of his routine and into bad habits but they are growing, sometimes fast sometimes not hence why they wake up hungry IMO.

Re blackout blinds- this was true when he was younger and getting him off to sleep at 7.30pm however from 4ish onwards when he wakes up hes in bed with me drinking his milk and my room is BRIGHT yet he still goes straight to sleep straight after and stays asleep until 7am.

SiB
    Free Member

Was going to say that I knocked one out this morning too but then I read the title properly.

hora
    Free Member

Thats the last thing you do when you have kids.

Infact you go back to the time when you lived at home with your parents, clandestine/secret squirrel w**king. Sex becomes a secret-quiet ‘race to the finish’.

totalshell

get them a paper round.

yunki
    Free Member

can’t offer any advice cos my eldest at 2.5yo has always let us kip ’til around 7am..

my youngest at the moment (12 weeks) is nocturnal though and snuffles about and whinges and chatters away from about 11pm ’til 6am.. giving us about an hours sleep per night..
    It’s our own fault as our days are very busy at the moment and it’s helpful for him to sleep through when poss..
    the sleep deprivation is providing much amusement though as our sanity and humour thresholds fluctuate wildly like manic depressives on LSD..

binners

Yeah… I’d mentally added a stray ‘n’ into the title, too. Thought it was going to be about….

binners

Oh and on the advice front. Get some blackout blinds, then some blackout curtains too. Mind you, if I’m honest, it’ll make eff all difference. It didn’t with my two. They wake up whenever the sun rises at that age.

But I doubt thats what you want to hear. Sorry

molgrips
    Free Member

We fought it. Kept on repeating that it was bedtime. She got the message in the end.

TooTall
    Free Member

Put them to bed a little later? We got ours to sleep longer with a good bedtime routine and a bottle of milk. Perhaps cut down on daytime naps if not sleeping later?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Jnr FD has been through stages of waking up early. With him its normally linked to over tiredness.

What works for us is ignoring him until at least 6am (when we get up) he soon gets the message and stops waking up earlier.

Tuff love I think…

Oh and I thought this thread was going to be about some thing else too 😆

hora
    Free Member

Slghtly OT but if I’m upstairs when hora Junior is being put to bed, no matter what he wont sleep. Last night he was shouting Mark! Mark! and laughing..

I can’t put him to bed as I always burst out laughing. Really annoying for mrshora 😆

joao3v16
    Free Member

Our 11 mth old started waking up earlier as sunrise got earlier.

The bedroom windows have blinds that let light in around the edges so we’ve hung some thick material over the windows as well (temporary measure until we get blackout curtains).

This seems to have helped.

We’ve also altered his daytime sleeps so that he’s very tired at bedtime rather than just tired.

DrP

Nick a cylinder of volatiles and set it on timer to release at about 4am? Quiet night guaranteed!

DrP

ratherbeintobago

We’ve got blackout blinds, and sadly she’s not just getting up for half an hour, she wakes up and then stays awake. Don’t think it’s hunger as there is consistent refusal of breakfast.

Filling her room with 2% sevo/58% nitrous/40% O2 is an attractive suggestion, but one my wife might spot.

It may well be over-tiredness as she won’t sleep much in the day (has an hour in the morning but won’t have an afternoon sleep for the last month or so).

Andy

geetee1972
    Free Member

Get her one of these:

Sun Clock

Worked well with our two year old. He has to go to sleep when Mr. Sun goes to sleep and is only allowed to wake up when he rises.

6.15am on the dot and he’s shouting ‘Mr Sun is up!’

Indeed, we set our own clocks by him now.

djglover
    Free Member

Black out blind + groclock = sleep till 7am every morning here!

trb
    Free Member

We tried all of the above and ended up just putting little trb No1 to bed an hour later. Both of ours had 30 – 45 mins nap during the day, any more and they got all nocturnal.

Things improved as soon as they were properly physically active and got properly tired.

ourmaninthenorth

Fortunately, Baby Nord likes her sleep. I have to ride at 6.30 to get ready for work. I often have to wake her at 7am.

But, the trade is she’s a nightowl like me – went to bed at 8 last night. Still awake chattering to herself gone 10pm….

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Early morning waking’ is closed to new replies.