Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Eagle Issue on Steep Climbs
  • oikeith

Running a NX mech on a GX cassette, have recently had an issue where when in the 50 and pedalling hard up a steep hill the mech will clip the spokes slightly.

Several times now I have adjusted the limit screw to move the mech away from the spokes, all is okay in the stand, on the flat or moderate hills, but then I go out and hit a punchy climb and it starts doing it!

B tension has been set with the bike sagged, hanger is straight and checked using hanger alignment tool I own, mech hasnt been crashed or bent.

Anyone else had this and resolved it or can think of anything to try?

DrP

Is the cassette done up tight enough?
    DrP

BadlyWiredDog

Is the wheel flexing?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ebennett

Stupid question first, is the bolt attaching the derailleur to the frame done up properly? I’m guessing it is, so maybe worth checking for play in the parallelogram – I’ve had to replace an eagle mech before due to play, it wasn’t obvious while shifting in the stand but when moving the mech by hand you could see it quite clearly.

oikeith

I’ll say yes, cassette hasnt been touch and I’ve not known a cassette to come loose before

Is the wheel flexing?

I did have the wheel trued and tensioned to see if this was the cause and the issue continued

is the bolt attaching the derailleur to the frame done up properly? I’m guessing it is, so maybe worth checking for play in the parallelogram – I’ve had to replace an eagle mech before due to play, it wasn’t obvious while shifting in the stand but when moving the mech by hand you could see it quite clearly.

Yeah, hanger is tight as is the mech into the hanger, I think it being NX and having 750miles-ish on it might be wear in the parallelogram, will give it a check shortly, was hoping there was fix as opposed to a dent in my bank account or a new mech!

intheborders
    Free Member

I’ll say yes, cassette hasnt been touch and I’ve not known a cassette to come loose before

But you’ve not actually checked…

It’s not a fault with GX/NX as otherwise they’d be thousands of us complaining – it’ll be with your particular setup.

What about bearings in the wheel & freehub, any movement – or a loose axle or the axle retention?

dropoff

Is your frame flexing ? Can you try another mech.

BadlyWiredDog

Have you checked the hanger alignment properly using an alignment tool? It doesn’t take much misalignment at the hanger to mess things up.

DrP

I have…..
    Makes the cassette wobble.

DrP

Edit.. though you say it’s the MECH catching the spokes…. so unlikely a cassette issue

StuF

is the frame flexing?

hot_fiat

Wobbly tyre catching the chain in 1st and making the mech move? Could even be a slightly bent chainring or 50t sprocket.

steve_b77
    Free Member

The pins on the parallelogram wear causing the mech to flex under load, you can replace them with stainless steel ones if you can be arsed.

ebennett

The pins on the parallelogram wear causing the mech to flex under load, you can replace them with stainless steel ones if you can be arsed.

Got any guides/vids showing how? Still got my old mech in the shed and given supply issues it might be easier to replace the pins than get a new one!

rickmeister

Is the hanger made of that special Monkey Cheese Metal™ which is so soft that the B screw starts to eat into it, reducing the chain clearance?

weeksy

I had it on a bike that belonged my lads mate… B screw sorted it.

big_scot_nanny

I had this recently, similar set up thought was GX mech on NX cassette. Setting the b-screw adjustment correctly helped a bit initially, but then after a few more rides it got worse.

Wheel tension turned out to be really bad (like, many loose spokes, no idea how it survived!), and once the wheel was tensioned and trued the issue has not returned.

Sounds similar?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Got any guides/vids showing how? Still got my old mech in the shed and given supply issues it might be easier to replace the pins than get a new one!

I haven’t personally, but there must be something on the interwed, 2 of my mates have “fixed” theirs by replacing the pins, it seems a simple case of drifting the old ones out, and koncking new ones in.

BigJohn

I’ve got NX cassette and mech, GX chain. There’s one steep switchback climb at the start of the Monkey trail that mine has a tendency to do that. Nowhere else. I guess it’s to do with wheel flex. Tightening the cable adjuster a notch or two made it go away.

martinhutch

I’d read reports that that the b bolt on NX was basically shite and allowed loads of slop, along with the parallelogram pins as mentioned above. Solution is expensive X01 bolt.

VanHalen

buying a shimano mech will solve this issue.

you can run it on your gx shifter and have decent shifting for longer. and you dont have the crappy narrowwide jockey wheel collecting crud, and the mech doesnt stick out as much so you are less likely to knock it. And its cheaper.

better still – buy Mocroshift advent x drivetrain and avoid 12speed all together. Probably cheaper than a replacement SRAM 12sp mech and less prone to crud and knocks and will definaly last longer than a SRAM mech.

ampthill

My gx Eagle bike doesn’t shift that well. How is a xd driver cassette attached? My back wheel once fell out of the van Ave the cassette fell off. I think exposing the free hub mechanism. I put it back on and it’s not come off again. But is there Something I can check for tightness?

tjagain

Van Halen – better still use an IGH and never get these issues 🙂

*runs away again*

sillyoldman

You’d have to run TJ – you won’t go anywhere fast on your bike with an IGH… 😉

tjagain

🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I find that my eagle b tension screw migrates. Have you checked recently?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Eagle Issue on Steep Climbs’ is closed to new replies.