Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Eagle GX cassette options…
  • butcher

£150 for a cassette!

I normally buy Deore or 105, never paid more than £25, so I’m struggling with this one a bit.

Are there any (cheaper) alternatives to the Eagle Gx cassette?

I’m guessing the Sram specific fitting rules out any Shimano options (without also buying a new freehub of course).

chrismac

Look at sun race as long as your happy to carry the weight penalty

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Also NX.

I’ve got one on my new bike. Ive just about accepted the price and bought 3 chains to rotate and keep waxed with putoline.

I’m kinda expecting 13-speed or some other significant upgrade to the cassette construction to come out before its worn out.

The fact that no one else seems to be making cassettes to compete implies it’s unfortunately priced correctly.

tomhoward

Also NX.

NX would need a new freehub (HG) Vs GX (XD)

Kryton57

Dont forget itll last 3x longer than your shimano option roughly speaking.

mjsmke

My GX cassette is on its 2nd chain and hardly any sign of wear yet.

matt_outandabout

My £40 ebay purchase.

Now on bike, only done one ride but the owner couldn’t tell the difference between this and the SRAM cassette it replaces (running with new shimano chain on 1x)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Any logic behind that statement?

FWIW my GX cassette already has big chunks missing out of several teeth and it’s not done a thousand miles yet. It’s not worn yet (with three chains if it lasts less than About 4000miles I’ll be dissapointed). So Im slightly worried it’s going to lose teeth. I’m wondering if SRAMs CNC process is producing weaker teeth than Shimano pressing.

Kryton57

Any logic behind that statement?

Its made of steel. Teeth missing is more likely another issue, I’ve never lost a tooth in 4 years on my race bike which’ll likely be facing some pretty abusive gear changing.

binman

Matt, what is it ?

butcher

I’ve had a year’s use of it (1500 miles thereabouts) and its knackered now. It’s had the same chain on the whole time, so I’ll definitely consider replacing chains in future now I know how costly it is! But from what I’ve read that won’t prolong the life massively, and at nearly £30 for a chain…

Almost £200 every year for cassette and chain just seems a bit excessive, but if that’s the only option I guess I don’t have much choice. 12 speed sunrace don’t appear to be much cheaper.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ll definitely consider replacing chains in future now I know how costly it is! But from what I’ve read that won’t prolong the life massively, and at nearly £30 for a chain…

IMO/IME the huge majority of the wear to the chain occurs when it’s dry. And the huge majority of the wear to the cassette occours when the chain is worn.

So putoline solves the issue of dry chains because even with the best bottled lube, one rainy ride and it’s washed off before the end so you get wear.

Rotating chains then means you’re pushing the point where those chains are worn off into the distant future.

Its made of steel.

Only the big rings. All the skipping seems to happen in the mid-high gears?

Caveat to that, I’ve not tried one as my bike has an XD freehub. I’m just comparing it to the lifespan of a front chainring which is usually about the same.

Teeth missing is more likely another issu

Looks like they’re being gouged as the chain moves. I’ll grab a pic.

Setup is as per the Sram template and shifting always feels fine.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Eagle GX cassette options…’ is closed to new replies.