Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Eagle AXS – rear mech battery cover
  • iainc

mine has fallen off a few times, most recently somewhere on a trail, never to be found again 🙁

£20 for a little bit of plastic though..

I have reluctantly ordered a couple, wonder how I can make them less prone to falling off ?

impatientbull

Are they even necessary? My XX1 AXS derailleur from 2020 doesn’t have one and it’s never been an issue.

iainc

^^^^ i did wonder about that, I guess it’s just for knock protection, there isn’t one on the dropper post battery

monkeyboyjc

Imo it’s just a pointless bit of plastic that’s designed to make it obviously the GX mech rather than xo or x1.

5plusn8
    Free Member

eh?? The cover is for the battery when its not being used right?

Tracey

My XX1 didn’t come with one. The GX did. I assumed it was to save a few g of weight. The spare battery has a red cover to protect the connections when not in use

5plusn8
    Free Member

Ahh I take it back I see what it is now. My XX1 didnt have it either.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265457637792?

jimdubleyou

Does seem superfluous- if mine falls off, not sure I’d replace it

DickBarton

I’m not convinced by it’s requirement either – I don’t have it on mine, but I can’t seem to remove it from the other bike I sometimes service…that is, I remove it and then put it back as the bike isn’t mine!
    I’m not convinced it is strong enough to help protect the battery from anything either.

konanige

Rode around without mine for ages, nothing exploded! However I saw some cheap Chinese copies on Ebay and bought two, the First one has been hanging in there for ages, seems like the copy is better than the real thing!

iainc

Good info, might get the cheapo version, thanks

jkomo

Lost mine last week, not sure even £10 Chinese copy is worth it.

militantmandy
    Free Member

Had the xx1 for a few years and never missed having the cover.

lawman91

Pointless thing is pointless. My GX AXS came with one, it seemed to rattle around a bit so I took it off and had zero issues. Literally no need for it as I can see!

tomhoward

As above, no issue on my XX1 mechs that don’t have it, GX one that does have it hasn’t fallen off yet, not sure I will be overly worried if/when it does.

teethgrinder

Used it on my GX mech for a while. Pointless. And ends up rubbing the mech wearing through the coating

andrewreay

It’s a weird design decision, as evidenced by the lack of one on XX, X0, Rival, Red, Force etc.

And if you’re going to whack the mech, then a battery is a) hardly likely to your primary worry and b) easily and cheaply replaceable – barely more than the official cover.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.