Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Each year after quitting smoking
  • sweep
    Free Member

I was looking for facts on aerobic capacity improvements after quitting smoking, bit of a minefield to find simple facts that relate to excerise and performance improvements over time…

Anyone know any simple facts or experiences? (the first few months bit is obvious). I’m really just talking generally, as in, would it be safe to say that if youd had a packet a day for 15 years then had quit for a whole year and were exercising loads that you’d be about back to the peak aerobic capacity you could expect (or would the smoking effects still be hindering you and the improvements still happening) OR would you improve even more say 2 years after, 3 years after etc… ??

I used to smoke but I was talking about this with a smoker cyclist today and didn’t really know how long the aerobic benefits can keep improving.

I wonder what people’s experience of this is first hand?

crikey
    Free Member

I don’t really know… I smoked and raced for a few years, then stopped smoking, but never got that much better. I suspect that the figures regarding improvement after stopping were not based on people who were in any way athletic.

After a year or so I suspect that any improvements will have been and gone; you need to try harder!

In addition, smoking also pushes up your red blood cell numbers, and I suspect that this might help when you first stop, but that effect will not last more than a month or so.

sweep
    Free Member

Well, I must admit I never seemed to notice anything much after 6 months and now I’m into years but I was asked the question and I said I didn’t really know – mostly cos it all gets mixed up with going at it harder, muscle development and all that. I’d never considered whether there is more lung capacity to come back from the smoking or whether it did.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johnhoo
    Free Member

I smoked for about ten years, then 11 years ago I stopped. cold turkey.

I was never skinny, but I’m a reet fat bastid now 😉

winstonsmith

i think age makes a massive difference to this – smoking in your 20’s will make little difference to your health if you are fit and active (there’s more sportsmen who smoke than you’d expect) but the effects only become apparent when you’re older – ageing affects the ability to heal and to resist damage

PePPeR

I’ll second Johnhoo, cept I was skinny until I gave up smoking now I’m also a reet fat bastid too.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

yep, I put loads of weight on (35lbs) after giving up smoking. AND I conciously made sure I didn’t eat anything more than I was already eating.

Still struggling to shift the extra weight too. But I’m glad I’ve not had one for 15 months now, with no cravings whatsoever.

richpips
    Free Member

I smoked for years raced etc, stopped for 3 years, and have since started again.

I can’t say I found much improvement in speed or stamina for riding, or running when a non smoker.

I did put on weight, which since I’ve started smoking again has gone.

See smoking isn’t all bad. 😈

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

See smoking isn’t all bad

correct:
    the smell keeps people away unless they REALLY like you
    increased morbidity means you get better pension annuity rates (if you live that long) [and let’s face it, being old is crap anyway]
    you have an excuse to go outside for a breather instead of working
    you can eat a lot more without becoming spherical
    you look dead cool

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Each year after quitting smoking’ is closed to new replies.