Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • e13 TRS+ Wheelset – Any rider reviews?
  • mactheknife

Just ordered a set of these from the LBS, has anyone on here got a set or ridden them.

Any reviews? ta 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

normally this goes the other way round, still I guess you can answer your own question shortly 🙂 I just googled them and most of the hits were asking for reviews

mactheknife

😀 i read quite a few online reviews which were all glowing so took the risk.

But yea i know exactly what you mean 😀

mactheknife

Bumpity……….bump

davosaurusrex

Got a pair of the TRS+ 29ers, not 100% convinced yet, strange noises coming from the back end of my bike so need to swap out the rear wheel to see if that is the culprit. Was going to try it out tonight but still at work….

Also found last weekend that the 1.5mm grub screws securing the end caps which are threaded to preload the bearings had worked loose and the bearings were tight. They have recently released new end caps, black instead of gold with easier preload adjustment to resolve this, I need to give Silverfish a shout to see if they will give me some for gratis as my wheels are only a couple of months old.

mactheknife

Cheers dave, ill ake sure i keep an eye on those grub screws.

Im ordering them through my LBS so if anything goes wrong they are being handed right back to get fixed.

🙂

davosaurusrex

You should make sure your wheels come with the new end caps, shame they’re black as the gold ones added a bit of bling. Saw a thread on MTBR which suggested the hubs developing play is more common than tightening up.

Swapped wheels earlier and creaking appears to have gone, haven’t serviced the freehub yet but the wheels have only done about 300 miles in pretty dry conditions so wouldn’t have thought it should need it. That said they do use oil instead of grease on the pawls so maybe they do need more regular attention. Will call Silverfish tomorrow.

Also managed to buckle the front rim pretty badly but I was running low pressures, rolled the tyre, went through the undergrowth and hit a big hole pretty hard. 29er too. LBS got it straight but spoke tension a bit uneven now.

All that said they are very stiff for a not too heavy 29er wheelset, engagement is really fast and I love the sound, a precision machinery buzzing! If the rear hub niggles only prove to be just that and can be resolved I’ll be loving them again

martinh
    Free Member

Really like mine except for the rear end cap coming loose. Hoping the replacement axle fixes it. The axles from the 2014 are supposed to be freely available to purchasers of the 2012/13 wheels

mactheknife

cheers martin, these endcaps seem to be causing a few issues.

davosaurusrex

Update – got in contact with Mountain Bike Bitz, no problem they said, generation 2 axle and endcap kit turned up two days later, A+ for customer service, would definitely recommend them. Easy job to replace, main difference is where the gen 1 axle was threaded both ends and threadlocked to the endcap on the drive side the gen 2 axle has a flanged end which is captive through the freehub body with push fit end cap if that makes sense. Looks like a much better engineered system, went for a ride last night and all the creaking has gone so hoping it stays that way!

b45her
    Free Member

not tried the e thirteen wheels but had a set of wheels with chubb hubs which are essentially what e thirteen wheels are i believe.

total and utter shite would be my honest review, never ever have i seen a hub with poorer sealing, bearing life was measurable in weeks rather than months, i hope they have improved espesially when the cost of the things is taken into consideration.

davosaurusrex

Have to agree, seals don’t look particularly impervious to the elements. Will have to keep on top of it when the weather turns, at least they come apart easily….

mactheknife

b45her, cheers for the heads up, ill keep an eye on the seals over the winter.

mactheknife

Righto, been running these bad boys for a few weeks now.

Thoughts are:
    1. They are LOUD, seriously loud 😀
    2. Stiff as a stiff thing. Ive had to be wary when throwing the bike into corners, there is no flex or forgiveness. but thats exactly why i bought them.
    3. They look awesome which in the grand scheme of things is all that matters 🙂

So far i love them, but time will tell regarding the hubs seals and their longevity.

davosaurusrex

Was thinking of updating this earlier so this is timely – after fitting the gen 2 axle as in my post above the rear hub stayed quiet for a few rides, then the creaks started again, slowly at first but by last Thursday’s ride the noises were just as bad as previously, bad enough that I was getting a royal piss-taking from my “mates”. I hate a creaking bike so this is driving me mental!
    Going to re-check the bearing pre-load and put a thin film of anti seize paste on mounting faces etc. and give it one more go but if this continues I’ll be back on to Mountain Bike Bitz (whose customer service was perfect when I requested the new axle, as per my post above). I’m of the opinion that this isn’t acceptable on such an expensive set of wheels. Shame because otherwise I love them.

davosaurusrex

Look see, here’s me loving them….

mactheknife

davo 🙂 nice pics.

I bought these through my LBS who got them direct from Silverfish. Trust me, the minute anything goes wrong with them they will be in a box going back, as you say these are an expensive wheelset. But so far so good 🙂

Good luck getting yours sorted. They have a 2 years warranty so it might be worth just sending them back for a check up or refurb from e-13.

missnotax
    Free Member

Well, I have these on my Burner and I love them 🙂 I haven’t had any issues, they’re light and stiff, I like the sound of the hubs and they look fab. Very pleased!

davosaurusrex

Saw them on your thread missnotax, they look mint on the ano orange burner! Like I said I love them too but constant creaking rapidly makes me fall out of love with any product…..

missnotax
    Free Member

Fair enough, that would properly wind me up too!!

mactheknife

missnotax, i have some envy after looking at your bike :-), i have a 2011 5 spot and to be honest im really hankering after a new burner. I cant justify it at the moment but yours is a thing of beauty.

I have some serious upgradeitis going on with mine though. The last bit of kit is on route and thats a set of 150mm pikes. Once they are on i reckon i have the bike as near to perfect as possible.

😀

missnotax
    Free Member

Thank you 🙂

The new Pikes are meant to be fab – I was very tempted!!

mactheknife

Well well. i have had these wheels less than a month with no real drops or anything considered hard riding.

I was near the top of a bloody Munro when i noticed. I had to nurse the bike all the way down.

Money back time and back to my indestructible flows.

davosaurusrex

Wow, that sucks. Checked the bearing pre-load on mine the other day and they had tightened up significantly after a few rides with the gen 2 axle. Love affair with these is proving short lived….

dnhross

Great minds think alike with the frame and wheels

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa286/dnh-ross/null_zps2d9bb934.jpg

What great taste you have missnotax !

nathanskidmore
    Free Member

mactheknife, any follow-up on the broken wheels? Were they replaced or faulty? I’m looking at this wheelset and curious but cautious.

mactheknife

Nathan, sorry i didn’t get back sooner. Just noticed your post.

Yep had the complete rear wheel replaced. The new one seems to be running well. I have run it hard for 3 weeks now and everything seems ok.

I would go for it if you are looking for a carbon wheelset. For the price you really cant go too wrong.
    Off to the pyrenees next week so if they survive a week out there then i am a happy chappy.

Was down at Innerleithen last weekend and got talking to a couple of lads who were running the downhill versions. They seemed happy with them as well. 6 months with no issues.

I would buy from from your LBS if you can so if there are any issues you can just hand the wheel back and they will/should fight your corner.

nathanskidmore
    Free Member

Awesome thanks mactheknife, I just got a pair for my bandit 29er. As loud as everyone says! But feel great and wow, light.
    Have fun in the Pyrenees, that’s got to be an incredible trip!

mactheknife

Well well well, just had a phone call from my LBS, while in the process of fitting a new XD driver they noticed another crack in my replacement hub. As that is 2 hubs in less than 6 months that have failed i am finished with these wheels. Pics to follow……

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘e13 TRS+ Wheelset – Any rider reviews?’ is closed to new replies.