Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • E13 TRS+ wheels
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’m just about to get a brand new bike which comes as stock with E13 TRS+ wheels. I’ve always had DT Swiss or Hope wheels so been doing some checking and there are some bad reviews of these wheels – bearings seizing, spoke snapping and other stuff.

I see that most of these issues were back in 2016 and earlier (especially on YT Capra’s which isn’t the bike I’m getting BTW).

Anyone running these wheels with no issues? Does anyone know if the seals etc have been sorted as I see some mention of a Gen2 setup in later wheels.

Not sure whether to ditch the wheels and buy a new pair.

submarined
    Free Member
    Bushwacked
    Free Member

Cheers – had already posted but no response 😉

nickdavies

Given that they’re always in the CRC sale you’re not going to get much for them new anyway, so I’d just ride em until they broke. They’ll be fine, the Germans are all speccing them on decent builds so they can’t be that bad.

colp

My lad’s 2016 Capra has them. He uses it as a DH bike, lots of whips etc.
    The actual wheel build is pretty strong, had to put new springs/pawls in as the seal is useless, but plenty of grease sorts it. Just about to do the bearings on the rear for the second time. They’re dead easy to work on though.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

NickD – Yeah, good point – might grease them up like a turkey at Xmas when they arrive and hopefully they’ll still be going strong longer than the Turkey will!

carlphillips
    Free Member

I’ve got these on my strive, they’ve done numerous uplift days at bmcc/bpw and gawton, 4weeks in the alps, and ridden fairly hard twice a week in all weathers, after 18months I’ve only just had to replace one bearing in the rear and had to true it once after coming up well short on a gap, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Carl – you are my hero! Thanks. Good to hear some positive views on them. 😀

mboy
    Free Member

Not ridden the current TRS+ wheels, but my TRSr’s have done almost 18 months now and I’ve given them a LOT of abuse, and they’ve not put a foot wrong! I’ve lost count the number of heavy crashes I’ve had, and both wheels haven’t needed a single tweak of a nipple. I’ve been staggered how good they are!

I understand the hubs on the older models were pretty poorly designed, supposedly E13 addressed this for 2016 on. Well I’ve not had a single issue with mine, though I did have to address an issue with a customer’s rear hub axle unwinding itself. Simple case of pull the axle out, threadlock everything properly, then do it up to factory tensions, and its been good as gold since.

These are what I’m on, albeit in 29er flavour…

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/ethirteen-trs-race-carbon-wheels-review-2016.html

Tried the tyres too. They’re a bit of a marmite affair, just like High Rollers IMO. Those who love them, love them, but I found them a bit too all or nothing (just like an HR2) and had a few big crashes with one up front, which was then solved by going back to a Mary.

Whatever (direct to consumer no doubt, shame on you mate! 😉 ) bike you’re getting, I wouldn’t worry if the wheels have the latest up to date hubs at least. That is unless there’s some lower quality OEM versions making their way onto the market (quite possible I guess) on these cheap direct to consumer bikes!

colp

They sound wicked too

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Cheers all – much appreciated.

Mboy – as always you are a font of knowledge – even guessing right about my purchase 😉 I’ll spend a long time in purgatory when my time comes! Probably getting flats or my wheels falling off on every descent for eternity! 😈

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘E13 TRS+ wheels’ is closed to new replies.