Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • E-wheels (monowheel)
  • p7eaven
    Free Member

Anyone tried one of these?

Sounds suspicious to me. Supposedly 80 mile range and handles gravel/trail and road with equal aplomb? For $1k?

I’ve seen someone ride off road on a municycle, but it was fixed gear and looked like a lot of work to me 😋

jedi

There a few of them around stevenage

submarined
    Free Member

p7eaven
    Free Member

^ 🤣

That’s what the majority of my friends ask when I ride a bicycle instead of driving.

‘But you’re a grownup’?
    ‘But, the shops are like, MILES away? Why would you?’
    ‘I don’t get it’
    ‘Yeah but no’

Etc

And then the thought of sending same bicycle (OK slightly different one) down a mountain just perma-stamps their ‘nutjobs to be suspicious of’ book, confirming that you’ve permanently taken leave of all of your senses.

Personally, I prefer to be away from all motors when outdoors. But increasing numbers of humans seem to want to be motorised/hooked-up/noisy etc. I still get annoyed by my own Hope hub bearings

submarined
    Free Member

I just have a completely irrational hatred of unicycles, this seems like crossing them with all the asshattery that comes with unlicensed e:motos. I can see nothing but bad things.

*Puts kettle on, anyone for an Aldi choccy hobnob?*

onewheelgood

I met a guy out on something like that a few months ago. He reckoned his would do just over 30mph, and it looked pretty capable on gentle off road stuff. When we’d finished chatting he headed off into the traffic and it easily accelerated up to the speed of the cars. It’s clearly illegal on the road, but I thought it looked pretty neat.

the00
    Free Member

I like the tech and the idea. These could revolutionise transportation, but they need to be embraced and regulated by authorities. Personally I would say it sounds sensible that anything with an ebike-like speed limit could be grouped in with legislation for bikes, and anything without that limit could be classed a moped. Immediately there would then be a legal structure for licensing, registration, and accepted areas for use.
    The guy in this video is riding something without a speed limiter. He isn’t riding anywhere that you couldn’t go with a moped. But we understand that if you ride a moped like that (in the UK), you are breaking some rules and being a bit of a douche. The same should apply for this.
    Just because you can ride a moped into a supermarket (for example), doesn’t mean we want everybody to be allowed to do it. If uptake is large then spaces would be reconfigured to accommodate them.

p7eaven
    Free Member

He isn’t riding anywhere that you couldn’t go with a moped.

Feasibly. Although some sections look sketchy for a smaller-wheeled moped (ie @4mins 20s)

Would you have less or more concern over one of these (restricted) on gravel/trails than an eMTB?

kerley
    Free Member

I prefer the Onewheel. Bit more skateboardy

DezB
    Free Member

I must say, I’m sure he’s having fun. But he just looks a right tit.

fasthaggis

That does look like fun,but I kept thinking how quick it would launch you in to the air.
    Guy at work commutes 5 miles on a Onewheel.
    First thing he had to make was a mudguard 🙂

cookeaa

I just have a completely irrational hatred of unicycles, this seems like crossing them with all the asshattery that comes with unlicensed e:motos. I can see nothing but bad things.

Total agreement!

“E-uni-moto” just screams ultimate bell-endery. It’s up there with people who have their own sword collection and/or a leather trenchcoat in my book…

“Each to their own” and all, but also “Nope!”…

But then I sort of find myself liking the idea of an E-longboard as a sort of round town transport choice, which I’m sure sits in an adjacent category of “simple pleasures ruined by adding technology” for many…

argee

Seen them a few times being used, a few folk go up to FoD on them now and again, last time i saw the they were in full facers and camo gear.

As with everything, fun is fun, as long as nobody is getting hurt, and you are mitigating any issues, then crack on, they are illegal everywhere but private land though, that is the one big issue and what would stop me even contemplating one, that and they are expensive and i really wouldn’t want to have one whilst still riding bikes as i get limited time on those as it is.

Poopscoop

Bloke round here uses it as his main transport on the roads. Looks cool/stupid/dangerous in equal measure.

Obviously can’t stop fast… Wouldn’t want to be hit by one. His one really shifts.

DezB
    Free Member

More tense than The Shining this

DezB
    Free Member

This is the funniest thing I’ve seen in ages 🤣🤣🤣

mrhoppy

Could be dangerous if they go that fast but don’t make any noise, although it does seem like the riders are screaming “Looook at meeeeee!” the whole time.

dyna-ti

Future tech, but i see we’ve the bah humbug group in tonight.

The crash vid, bloke wasn’t even wearing a lid or gloves or anything. From the start that looked like an accident waiting to happen 😕 Guy int he first vid it looked a better riding set up.

chiefgrooveguru

There are quite a few of these in frequent use around Brighton. One problem is that in the dark they look like a standing pedestrian at first glance but then you realise they’re moving much faster. And they cannot stop quickly enough for fast how they move.

I do think small electric devices like this have potential for future transport but the world’s governments need to get organised about legislation and transport networks.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘E-wheels (monowheel)’ is closed to new replies.